2nd week of baiting In Mn

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

2nd week of baiting In Mn

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:12 pm

There's 5 of us that normally go as a group bear hunting most years. Between the 1st and 2nd week of baiting this year one of the guys broke 3 ribs at work and the other guy had some personal Issues come up so we were down 2 guys this past weekend In that nasty, sticky heat we had. The guy who broke his ribs still made the trip though being we needed his pick up to put bait In.

The week before we put out 12 baits. This past weekend checking the baits, 9 of them were hit. This Is one of the best 1st checks I've ever been Involved with In the 22 years I've bear hunted. This year we added trail mix and candy (mints) to the mix and cherry pie filling. We still used the same amount of meat, bread and other stuff we normally use. Every bait but one that was hit didn't have any trail mix or mints left. The cherry pie filling was gone on about 70% of the hit baits. The ones that liked It really liked It, there was dig marks and teeth marks In some of the logs. I'm hoping that by adding the trail mix and candy to our mix It's going to hopefully help In bringing these bear In a little earlier come hunting season. Come hunting season the trail mix and mints will be the main bait we use.

We had 11 trail camera's out and got 2300 pictures. Nothing huge by any means but a few nice bear In that 200 to 225 pound dressed range. Next weekend I'm sure we'll gain a big bear or 2, we usually do. On 2 of the baits we have sow and cubs hitting, this Is a 1st since 2007. The one particular sow Is big too (head wise). One cinnamon and one chocolate too at are baits. Kind of neat seeing bear that aren't black.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: 2nd week of baiting In Mn

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:15 pm

Sounds awesome Steve! I wish I was up there running baits and checking cameras! 8-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:30 pm

Sounds like it's shaping up VERY well for you this year, Schultzy. 8-)
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:54 pm

Cool on the two color phase bears. Always wanted to shoot one but never had the chance.

Good luck this season.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:45 pm

Thanks guys! I forgot to mention something too from my previous thread "1st week of baiting In Minnesota". Here Is part of what I said In that thread...

Schultzy wrote:This year though we discontinued 3 baits that have never really produced much results. We then scouted our tails off In the 30 mile radius area we hunt In and hung out 4 new baits. I'm fairly excited about 2 of the 4 so we shall see.
2 of these 4 new baits did get hit. The 2 that I was excited about were the ones that produced.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:22 pm

I hope you guys get a BIG ol bear off your bait when the season opens!! Great news to hear all your hard work is paying off.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:15 am

Good luck ;)
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:05 am

:D Awesome, my baits are smokin hot and have been since july 4th! Just found out I got vacation for the first week of season!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:19 pm

Awesome report good luck to you guys, my baits are doing great also...hard to believe its just two weeks away...ready or not , here it comes!

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”