Bear Den?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

Bear Den?

Unread postby bowmike » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:22 am

Was out grousing with the lab yesterday. Came across this. Lilly popped her head up about 70-80 yards down wind of this, and worked right to it. She doesn't range far, but when I got up to her, her hair was standing on end and her head was just inside the entrance. When she was a pup, I had shot a buck and took the head and scared the daylights out of her with it, Since then when she smells deer, or dead deer her hair stands up like that.

It took me a second to put 2 and 2 together and quickly called her off. This pile was very big, and the entrance was about 2 feet high or so. At the base of the mountain we were hunting we had seen fresh bear tracks. We had a decent amount of rain last week, and the snow had just come about this week. These tracks were fresh enough that the labs hair stood on end at them too. Needless to say we went the other way.

Thinking of contacting the PA game commission on this and see if for sure it is a bear den. I would love to be able to go out with them, and their biologist and see them do their job. Plus checking out cubs, if it is a bear den, and the bear is a sow, would be pretty cool.

We had a decent day grousing, we put up 7 and I missed one. Man I love hunting ruffed grouse, and watching the dog work!

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
Edcyclopedia

Re: Bear Den?

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:10 am

Cool pic!

I'll be looking for a write up in the flyin critter category of you grousing! ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:29 am

Thats a cool find for sure

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:32 am

Nice! Haven't seen a bear since early November.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:32 am

I cant wait to go out with the WCO to check on the den. Sent the picture to the PA Game Commission and got word back from their biologist and they believe it is a den. They like to check out bear dens, and keep tabs on them. I am hoping there may be cubs inside. I wont be going back to this spot though without the WCO, as they informed me that the bear could spook out of there, and waste energy that they need for surviving the winter.

I will keep you updated on the grousing. I am not that great of shot but My lab is getting a lot better and is really starting to hunt well. I will be going out for a little on Saturday morning. I love living close to great grouse hunting.

Here are a few pics of the grouse habitat I am hunting.

Notice the buck rub in the picture below. :)

Here is a quick video of Lilly working. She is a bit closer in this video but only ranges to about 25-30 yards. She does great hunting with me alone, but when you add another guy she gets a bit confused on who to hunt with, instead of just hunting. She will come around though.

http://youtu.be/wpY1ZlYZ-3M
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:02 am

Get us some pictures when you go back with the WCO
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:41 am

That is very cool.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:58 am

dan wrote:Get us some pictures when you go back with the WCO

Will do. Hoping they call me. Supposed to call within the next month or so. I image to listen and see if there are any cub sounds coming from the den "Presuming there is a bear inside" It is killing my crazy mountain boy self not to go up there with a flash light and check it out, but I don't want to risk the bear, or any cubs life just for a picture.

I will keep you updated. We only flushed one grouse on Saturday and it was maybe 40 yards from my house. Go figure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”