Bear hunting contest!

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Bear hunting contest!

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:51 pm

No entry required. Just post your kill pictures in this thread. They must be from this (2010) fall season. The pictures must belong to the hunter posting them to be eligible. Pictures/ kills will be judged by animal size and hunt story. A great adventure story might beat a bigger bear.

There will be one winner... For now the prize will be a Green hunting BEAST T-shirt in your size, and one DVD of your choice from the store.
HUNTERS MUST BE MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM PRIOR TO SEPTEMBER 1st in order to be eligible.

Once you kill your bear, post pic and story in this thread. 8-)

Any questions?

PLB
500 Club

Re: Bear hunting contest!

Unread postby PLB » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:40 am

8-)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:47 am

I can post my story but might have to have someone post my kill pics cuz my computer is a P.O.S.!!! :lol: I'll try to get my story done tonite after the kids go to bed! :D
Obsession Bows
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:47 am

Yep, I connected on a Wisconsin bear last night. I got him with only minutes of shooting light left, so by the time we got him out and takin' care of it was late and still pretty tired this morning. This was the third night out. I saw a "big" bear right at last light on my first night (Thursday). Its pretty thick where I'm set up and I saw the big bear coming in at thirty yards. My bait is set up at 14 yards and he was coming in on a rope! Then at 18 yards he spooks and bolts off :shock: . "What the" I said to myself. Grabbed my wind checker the thermals are going straight up. I don't get it. Then a red squirrel that was dickin' around the bait all night like he owned the place came shootin' out of the bait. Could he have? Nope I am not even gonna say it, but its in the back of my mind. Friday night, nothing. Yesterday (Saturday) after the rain it should be good. My Dad had been going along to film and he had been baiting with me and he wanted to keep coming out hunting and being the weekend my son was around so I throw another stand up and have him tag along too. What the heck, he can run my other camera. The more the merrier :roll: :lol: We had a lot better wind, finally, WNW. Well, the evening progressed and nothing, but the squirrels taking over this bait. It was a little entertaining, a gray squirrel got a little bossy, and that red squirrel was not to happy about it. Then with about 5 minutes till closing here he comes. Like I said being a dark woods, with plenty of spruce, the small hand held camera my son was running was out of light for probably five minutes. My Dads got my big camera and he is about fifteen feet off to the side of me. This bear is coming straight in, so I'm ready. He walks right by the bait goes behind some thick trees and starts down the path we walk in on. I don't know if wants to circle around and scent check everything or what, but he hits an opening at 20 yards and stops. I put my 14 yard pin on the fun zone raise slightly and THWACK! my Easton Axis finds its mark and sends a rage eating through two bear lungs! He bolts off and 60 yards later he is piled up. Boy, those death moans are a happy sound to a bear hunter. After a short celebration in the trees, we get down, go back to the truck to get recovery gear and go find him. I'm pretty happy, 210 lb. boar. Very pretty, shiny, black hide. I'm a little disappointed about not getting it on film, but these Wisconsin bear tags are far and few between. 8-10 years, I'll try again. It was pretty cool having my son and my dad there :D

willy11674

Unread postby willy11674 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:00 am

I shared camp with Dan this fall at Northern Wisconsin Outfitters near Washburn, WI. I was put on a bait called the "Touvee Bait" which was 40 minutes from camp and then a 10 minute walk into the swamp bottom. Purched 25 feet above the bait with my bow in hand I was excited and sat from 9:00 a.m to 7:52 p.m.(leagal time) and did not see a bear. I did hear some wolves sound off between me and my path out when i got down. That will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. I had a sore but was not discouraged. It was a nice spot and was being hit daily so i sat there again the second day. This time i got in there a little late ( 9:05 a.m.). I saw nothing until 11:15 a.m. when i cought movement and looked to see a large reddish colored wolf circling the bait. I quickly turned on the video camera and readied myself for the shot (just kidding). I did however get some great footage to show my kids when i got back. The rest of the day was another big goose egg for bear sightings. Back at camp my guide said he wanted to move me. I said "your the guide, i'll do whatever it takes". He asked if i had brought a rifle and if i was opposed to rifle hunting instead of bow hunting. I waited 8 years for this tag and if he thought i needed to sit a rifle stand then that was what i was going to do. so the 3rd day i was sitting public land ( less than 20% of their stands are public by the way) far enough away from a road that if u got turned around and lost they would not find you until spring. that's how i immediatley knew this was were i was going to park my for the remainder of my hunt. it was perfect. i was set up and on stand until 3:15 p.m. I had just finished a sandwich and looked up to see the nose of a bear coming out of the brush (you never hear them). I raised my rifle and turned on the camrea all in one motion. the bear stood broadside at 23 yards with his front foot forward. A perfect shot. I contimplated letting it settle in and eat for a while to get good footage of it but then it turned it's head forward to walk away. that did it. i was there to kill a bear, not video it's eating habbits. so i put the crosshairs at his shoulder and fired. he snapped back at his shoulder then took off like a rocket out of sight. he crashed through the brush in a giant half circle and then nothing. i climbed down a little while later and immediatly started the 45 minute journey out of the woods and to get my guide. we returned and searched for over an hour with very little blood to follow. we had went about 150 yards when we were looking for more blood straight ahead and i looked down and there was a huge bear 4 feet from my left foot. scared the out of me until my brain computed it was dead. a few pictures and a greuling drag out of the woods and i had my wisconsin black bear on my truck. live weight of 215#. if you think you will draw a bear tag next year call Mike Foss At Northern Wisconsin Outfitters before you even put in. He had 26 hunters in camp on opening day. only 3 didn't see bears. 13 had shot opportunities. by the time i left sunday morning every hunter in camp had a shot opportunity at legal bears. some guys had a shot opportunity every day, and he still had active baits that weren't even hunted yet when i left. His guides worked their off. i couldn't have been more impressed. I had come to that conclusion buy thursday night when i had yet to even see a bear. Awesome hunt with an awesome outfitter.
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:44 am

Fun Time Willy11674. Great Pics of the bear as well!
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:33 am

Nice bear Hunt n Nut
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:34 pm

Great stories so far!! I hope some more people can score soon.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:55 am

Nice bears guys.
Treejunkie

Unread postby Treejunkie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:05 am

Nice Bear Brian!!!!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:48 am

Public Land Beast » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:33 pm

Here's the story........Well It's been a very busy summer baiting and prepping stand sites for the 2010 Bear season! Finally Wednesday Sept.8th is here! I baited all three of my stands in the morning. Then I went back to the cabin, checked over my gear, shot my bow, ate lunch and took a little power nap! I arrived at my bait, noticed it hadn't been opened yet, and proceeded to get set-up. I was set and ready at 1:50pm. It was a gorgeous day with temps in the high 50's and slightly overcast with a good breeze to keep the bugs away! Things were pretty uneventful except for the birds at the bait until 6pm. That's when I caught movement upwind coming at me. It was a bear!! He came to the bait and looked right up at me in the stand I never moved a muscle but he didn't like that blob in the tree and turned and got on another bear trail and kept looking my way as he mosied back to the swamp he came from. He was a 150-175 pounder, nothing I had any interest in shooting. But it got my heartbeat going as I prepared for primetime when the good ones would show up! At 7:20 I heard a branch snap straight downwind of me! I turned and saw a long, tall bear coming at a good clip straight for the bait. Instantly I grabbed my bow and drew as he was behind some pines. He got to the bait and I saw that monster pumpkin head and knew he was one of the three big bears I had coming since July! He already was broadside so I held the pin on the sweetspot an extra second and released. I watched the arrow zip him clean and stick in the dirt on the other side. At the shot he never knew what hit him and I noticed all the fat ripples and jiggles as he kind of just ambled off 25-30 yards. I knew then he was a dandy bear! At about that distance I heard gagging and coughing of a animal hit through the lungs!! After a minute or so he crashed another few yards and I could hear his last gasps and breaths for air. I sent out a couple text messages that I smoked one and to start rounding up guys to help because he is a BIG bear! I waited about 15 minutes before lowering my bow and climbing down. By now it was pitch dark and I was fully charged with adrenalin! I hiked back to the truck, went back to the cabin, and ate a little supper until all seven of us were ready to go track the BEAST! As it turned out, he made it about 50 yards with a pretty decent blood trail for a bear! I was amazed at the sheer size of the bear, his feet, head, length of body, EVERYTHING! We had six guys on a strecher with my dad leading with the lantern. We had all we could do to get him the 100 yards from the swamp to the walking trail! We then strapped him on a deer cart and wheeled him the rest of the way to the truck. We had the bear to the truck at 10:30pm. Not bad!! We used a four wheeler with a winch to weigh and hang the bear. The bear broke my scale so we got him officialy weighed the next morning in town. 401 lbs. dressed with a 56 inch girth! I plan on doing a full body mount of this beast! I am honored and privileged to have the chance at such an awesome animal! I owe a lot of my success to my brother John and all my buddies who helped me bait all summer and with getting the bear out of the swamp! Bear hunting is hard work and you need good help to be able to pull it off! This BEAST was shot on public land with a bow which makes it even more special to me! What an awesome experience!

Public Land Beast
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:59 am

Dan, thank you for posting my pics and story here for me! 8-) You the man!! ;)
Obsession Bows
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:16 pm

I managed to get in one last bear hunt for this year, one day to bait and one day to hunt, and headed north with high hopes. Previously I had many bear encounters while bow hunting my stand this year, and enjoyed the time spent hunting in a wilderness area.

A couple of weeks ago I exited my stand at dark with six bears in sight- this proved to be very damaging to my stand, as my bait went cold for nearly two weeks. Finally the bears came back, and in force. Yesterday I went to my stand around noon and placed three different fifty pound bags and one seventy pound bag of donuts out for bait. Today I walked to my stand at noon carrying a rifle; with only one afternoon left to hunt I wanted to get the job done.

On arrival, I shook my head as I realized over two hundred pounds of the bait had been consumed in the last twenty-four hours. As I sat down on the seat of the Lone Wolf Alpha hang on, and leaned back against my Bark Silencer, I thought to myself “let the circus begin!” I waited less than a half hour before a couple of cubs and a sow trotted by to the east. These were going to be recon missions for the bears, as with this many of them involved they had a lot of fear of each other. Next to arrive was “Rascal”, a small bear that always provided me with great theater. He raced in and out three different times, never getting closer than twenty yards from the bait. He has a lot to be fearful of. He departed and did not return.

After a short recess, a young boar approached from the north. As he neared the bait, a twig snapped back in the swamp and he fled with all haste to the south. A similar sized boar walked to the bait from the swamp. Before he could eat, yet another boar that was also close in size stepped onto the ridge. The bear at the bait fled to the southwest. This last bear stood on the bait and I let him have it with the rifle. It blew him off his feet and I thought it was over. I racked in another cartridge just in case. Incredibly, the bear jumped up and ran twenty five yards straight away. I shouldered my rifle and dumped him with a second shot. This was followed by several very loud death moans, surprisingly high in volume. My season ended, and the real work began as I would have to drag the bear out of the wilderness by myself.

I accomplished one other goal with my bear hunting a couple of weeks ago as well- I spotted a bear lying down in a meadow, he was probably 150 pounds or so. I threw my truck into park, jumped out and took off after him. He jumped up and ran about forty yards before turning in my direction and standing on his back feet to get a better look… “Yep, there’s a crazy guy chasing me!” was the look on the bear’s face. He jumped down and ran faster than any horse through the woods.

I’m already looking forward to next year.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:40 pm

While hiking the mountains of Colorado at 12,000 feet all I could think about was how the bear hunting was going for dad up In northern Mn. When I left for Colorado on my elk hunt our baits were hot and It killed me not being there. Action In Colorado was poor due to 4 wheelers running all over In the mountains so I packed up 4 days early and headed back to the northern woods where I belonged.

My 1st sit at this bait was a very frustrating one. My wind direction was great and 25 minutes In to the hunt 60 or so yards away I heard that familiar muffed small crack a bear makes while walking. The crack came from directly behind the bait which was good when talking wind direction. The wind was N/NW, my bait was E/NE from me as was that crack I heard. 20 minutes later directly down wind of me something bust's away and mows everything In It's path for 30 yards and then stops. A few seconds later It takes off again and runs another 10 yards and stops. He then proceeded to walk away In the direction I 1st heard the crack. I never saw what It was but I'd bet lots of money It was a bear and a damn good one at that. I've heard bear run off before but never have I heard such a heavy padded/muffed running sound In all the years I've hunted bear. We had a trail camera at this bait but the piece of junk quick working sometime that day. The next day dad and I went In and re baited the bait and found the longest hind foot track I've ever saw. It was just as long as my size 9 boots were. We also found the front pad but couldn't get a positive read on the size. 3/4'S of the front pad was visible while the other part was stepped on. I'm thinking It was In that 5 to 5.5 Inch area which Is big!!

The next evening I figured I'd leave this bait alone and let things settle down some and sit somewhere else. Didn't see a thing at the other bait. Sunday was my last hunt of the 2010 Mn bear season. Luck wasn't on my side at all, the wind direction for this bait was terrible but I said the with It and thought up a plan. Dad and I had some very rotten fish scent that we make every year that we use for baiting early In the baiting season. I filled an Ice Cream pail 1/3 full and brought that In with me for the hunt. The wind was going just left of where the bear usually come and go from. I then took the fish pail and through the scent from It up wind of me In the next tree 5 yards or so away. My aiming was bad, half of It went In my tree. :lol: I also took some vanilla and sprayed that everywhere hoping to mask my scent some as that was my reason for using the fish scent.

20 minutes later after I was all set up and ready something directly down wind of me 40 or so yards cracked a bunch of sticks and walked directly away towards where the bear usually come from. Right away I said to myself that's a bear and I bet he was bedded there and couldn't handle my scent blowing at him. I was bummed out again. 45 minutes passed and I looked directly behind the bait and something looked awfully black back there compared to before. I stared at that spot for a bit and all of a sudden that black thing moved. I thought to myself, about damn time I see a bear!! It's been 3 years since I've last saw a bear!! I could tell by his actions that he was already committed to the bait but as time went on I could also tell that this wasn't the bear that made them tracks the night before. I was totally fine with that though and stood up and and got myself somewhat situated. I looked at my camera arm and camera and said to myself don't screw this up (this was my 1st try and videoing a kill). He got with In 25 yards and I turned on the camcorder. I waited till he got about 20 or so yards away and then turned on the record button. I got my feet and legs situated and was ready. He kept winding the whole time coming In. Once he was at the bait and pretty much broadside 10 yards away I started drawing my recurve back. He then turned his head and looked down our bait trail that we use to go In and out of when hunting and baiting. After he turned his head and took another step on to the bait I finished my draw and settled In on my anchor point and let the arrow fly!! My arrow pretty much hit perfect. I was about an Inch back from where I was hoping to hit. He flew out of the bait and headed back where the bear usually come and go from. I left the camcorder running hoping to hear that familiar death moan a bear allot of times make but didn't hear nothing so I shut It off. Just after shutting It off I heard the sound and knew for sure that where I saw my arrow go was definitely spot on. He ended up going 91 yards. I caught both lungs and the top of the heart. I was very surprised In how far he went. The blood trail was the best ever blood trail I've ever saw on a bear. Blood everywhere!!! I figure he's a 3.5 year old. He dressed out at 160 pounds. This hunt will go down as one of my all time favorites. Mile stones were made.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:59 am

Is everybody done bear hunting? and does everyone have there bear entered?

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”