PA doesn't have the best bucks, but we have the best bears!!

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

PA doesn't have the best bucks, but we have the best bears!!

Unread postby bowmike » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:38 am

http://www.petersenshunting.com/2013/05 ... -all-time/

Was amazed at seeing how many world record bears come out of PA. If I counted correctly 11 out of the top 20 came out of PA. Wisconsin does have quite a few in there as well. Not sure if this is due to a certain genetic trait that give Keystone state bruins a long and wide head, or what but on can not argue that PA is the best state in the country to harvest a record book black bear.

Here is the 2nd day results from our game commission

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/se ... 93_13.html

I cannot even imagine seeing that bear that weighed 772 pounds. How did that thing even move around. What kind of den could support that SLOB?

I am surprised that with all of the bear hunters in this state, the fact that we can not bait, or anything like that, we are still able to put up record book bears almost every year. I am going to say this is due to the sheer number of guy out there and the numb of guys driving for bears.

Now I have never got to fill out a bear tag, and is my most desired trophy. Some day I hope to fill out that tag. This year our bear camp sort of turned into beer camp. I am still ticked at myself, but man was that a blast either way.

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
backstraps

Re: PA doesn't have the best bucks, but we have the best bea

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:40 am

When I first read your title, I thought no way, these mountains I live in has some monster 600-650lb+ bears... MY GOSH 772 lbs that's is a whopper!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:08 am

:shock:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:01 am

Yeah hard to believe. I am not sure how many bear hunters there are in the state but it has got to be on of the most in the country.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:32 am

Cool, didn't know PA was the THE place for bears. Surprised so few from Canada.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:52 am

PRELIMINARY THREE-DAY BEAR HARVEST RESULTS

Hunters check 264 bears in sloppy conditions; 600-pounder added to top 10 list.

Despite nasty weather throughout much of the state, Pennsylvania bear hunters added to statewide harvest totals on Tuesday, the third day of the statewide bear season, the Pennsylvania Game Commission announced today.

An additional 264 bears were checked on Tuesday, based on preliminary numbers, bringing the harvest during the statewide season to 2,308.

That number could nudge further upward considering inclement weather left a handful of check stations unable to transmit data from bears checked Tuesday.

Archery and other early bear season harvest data still is being entered into the Game Commission’s database, and is not available at this time.

Bears have been harvested in 51 counties during the statewide season so far.

The top 10 bears processed at check stations by Monday were either estimated or confirmed to have live weights of 557 pounds or more. The largest bear checked Tuesday weighed an estimated 601 pounds.

The largest bear overall – a male estimated at 772 pounds – was taken in Covington Township, Lackawanna County by Daniel J. Beavers, of Covington Township.

Other large bears include: a 632-pound male taken by Michael L. Truax, of Everett, Pa. in East Providence Township, Bedford County; a 627-pound male taken by Wayne A. Gehers, of Mohnton, Pa., in Tioga County’s Bloss Township; a 616-pounder taken by Bradley S. Rohrer of Lancaster, Pa., in Tioga County’s Union Township; a 601-pound male taken by Jeffrey C. Kratz, of Collegeville, Pa., in Shrewsbury Township, Sullivan County; a 597-pounder taken by Jenna L. Schoenagel of Greentown, Pa., in Pike County’s Greene Township; a 595-pounder taken by Maurice C. Younker of Mercersburg, Pa., in Fulton County’s Thompson Township; a 586-pounder taken by Jalynn N. Macnelley of Laceyville, Pa., in Bradford County’s Wilmot Township; a 560-pounder taken by Ernest W. Lucrezi of Beachlake, Pa., in Wayne County’s Berlin Township; and a 557-pounder taken by Ronald P. Fitzgerald of Forksville, Pa., in Sullivan County’s Elkland Township.

This year’s three-day preliminary harvest compares with 2,442 in 2012, when hunters harvested 3,632 bears – the third-largest harvest in state history. The largest harvest – 4,350 bears – happened in 2011, when preliminary three-day totals numbered 3,023.

The preliminary three-day bear harvest by Wildlife Management Unit was as follows: WMU 1A, 15; WMU 1B, 79; WMU 2C, 218; WMU 2D, 143; WMU 2E, 76; WMU 2F, 269; WMU 2G, 490; WMU 2H, 72; WMU 3A, 155; WMU 3B, 161; WMU 3C, 59; WMU 3D, 193; WMU 4A, 71; WMU 4B, 55; WMU 4C, 54; WMU 4D, 176; and WMU 4E, 22.

The top bear harvest county in the state on the first two days of season was Tioga, with 163.

Two- day harvests by county and region are:

Northwest: Warren, 130; Jefferson, 63; Venango, 60; Clarion, 46; Forest, 44; Crawford, 31; Butler, 24; and Erie, 4.

Southwest: Somerset, 97; Fayette, 63; Indiana, 38; Armstrong, 35; Westmoreland, 30; and Cambria, 22.

Northcentral: Tioga, 163; Lycoming, 155; Potter, 118; Clearfield, 107; Clinton, 101; Cameron, 96; Elk, 87; Centre, 72; McKean, 64; and Union, 23.

Southcentral: Bedford, 50; Huntingdon, 46; Mifflin, 23; Blair, 22; Juniata, 22; Fulton, 17; Perry, 12; Snyder, 11; and Franklin, 8.

Northeast: Pike, 82; Wayne, 52; Sullivan, 47; Luzerne, 46; Carbon, 31; Monroe, 30; Wyoming, 28; Lackawanna, 26; Bradford, 21; Susquehanna, 13; and Columbia, 10.

Southeast: Schuylkill,18; Dauphin, 9; Lebanon, 5; and Northampton, 1.

In addition to participating in the closing day of the four-day season on Nov. 27, hunters with an unfilled bear license may participate in extended bear seasons in specific WMUs that run concurrent with all or portions of the first week of the firearms deer season. For those deer hunters who didn’t purchase a bear license, but are headed to an area where the extended bear season is being held, bear license sales will reopen from Nov. 28 through Dec. 1.

For details about those areas open to extended bear hunting and the dates, please see pages 36 and 37 of the 2013-14 Pennsylvania Hunting & Trapping Digest. Bear check stations opened during the extended bear seasons can be found on page 38 of the digest.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:00 pm

I was just reading this a couple days ago.

By Mike Kuhns

Record Sports Editor

November 19, 2010

The heaviest black bear ever recorded in Pennsylvania was shot and killed by a bow hunter just north of Fernwood Resort in Pike County on Monday.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission confirmed that David Price of Barrett Township killed the 17-year-old bruin, which had an estimated live weight of 879 pounds. The bear had a field-dressed weight of 744 pounds.

Price's bear was 15 pounds heavier than the state's previous record holder, a 864-pound bear killed by Doug Kristiansen of Dingman Township in 2003. That bear was also shot in Pike County.

"This bear could be No. 1 in the world," game commission spokesman Tim Conway said of Price's bear.

The world record is determined by skull size. After 60 days, the bear's skull will be measured to determine where it will stand in the record books. The world record skull is more than 23 inches wide, Conway said.

Attempts to reach Price on Thursday were unsuccessful.

Every year bears killed in Pennsylvania are entered into the Boone and Crocket rifle record books. Bears that have a skull measurement of 20 inches or greater are eligible.

This bear is unique and will be remembered because it was killed during Pennsylvania's first statewide archery hunt and could be ranked as high as No. 1 in the Pope and Young archery records.

Since 1992, six bears weighing at least 800 pounds have been killed in Pennsylvania.

Price's bear was known to game officers in both New Jersey and Pennsylvania. It was captured and tagged in New Jersey, but never in Pennsylvania, Conway said.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:24 am

I am not a fan of the guy that shot that bear. Lots of speculation behind it. There are videos of a guy feeding the thing ice cream from a bucket and such, It was like a town mascot if you will. I have a ton of respect for any animal harvested, but to set up and kill a bear, that is pretty much tame, is not how I roll. I think it all turned out to be legal, but he would have had to search high and low to figure out all of the loop holes before he picked his spot.

http://youtu.be/TEtNNUyS73g

http://youtu.be/WH2xsn0pris

Now how can you claim that as a trophy if you followed it back to his den, I know that is hear say, but you know that guy did just that. Now if 100 percent that guy just bought a bear license walked into the woods, and happened to come across that bear. I would be happy for him, but being that Bozo was like a local celebrity I doubt it.

Now I think that the guy that fed that bear should be thrown the book at him for feeding wild life and such from the game commission. Growing a bear like that for 17 years if very dangerous IMO. If that thing would ever turn on anyone, there would be no stopping it without killing it.

I think it is a sad story to be honest, but WHAT A MONSTER BEAR! I mean you would be around 900 pounds too if you ate doughnuts, ice cream, bake beans, and everything else that is left over from a restaurant.

This rocked PA for months with the controversy.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”