Trying some new stuff..

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Trying some new stuff..

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:06 am

In another thread I had asked about cookie dough but couldn't find any close to where I live. The place where I buy my trail mix for bear baiting had some stuff advertised on his website that came in 700lb totes that said mixed chocolates, nuts, caramel, marshmallows, toffey, peanut butter. I thought what the heck this sounds like it could be some good stuff so I headed north on the hour drive. In the meanwhile this company has been looking for some metal barrels and they give 7.00 dollars a barrel for good barrels. So I packed nine 55 gallon barrels into my 3/4 ton Ford and would make a trade and save some cash. Once I got there we unloaded the barrels and looked at these totes he had advertised. I looked at the stuff and thought this stuff looks awesome for bear but wow is this going to be a pain to get out of the box.

I'd say 70% of the stuff in the box was marsh mellows. Mixed inside the marsh mellows was caramel, some chocolate, lots of peanut butter, some coconut, some cookie dough, some Hershey bars and nut bars and a bunch of peppermint glazings/toppings and some other stuff. These chunks were hard!! Very hard!! He then said I also have a 1000lb tote of the same stuff and I'll give you a deal on it and sell it for .08 cents per pound. He normally sells this stuff for .14 cents a pound but said since I'm a good repeat customer he'd shoot me a deal. I thought what the heck and bought that too. Well 1700lbs and 8 hours later of running a chainsaw and cutting the marsh mellow chunks in to small 4 inch chunks and mixing some trail mix in with it I was done. If you use to big of chunks the bear will take them from the bait and leave. While running the chainsaw It smelled like I was making Smores (march mellows melted in between graham crackers with Hershey bars in the middle over a fire). Smelled very good! :L: I got six 55 gallon barrels full mixed and ready to go. I was one sticky mess in my shop where I park my milk truck. I'm not sure If I will again go through this work/mess but I really believe I have some top notch bear bait goodies. I guess if they really love it and it will help bring some night time hitters to day timers I'll do it again. It's coming on the trip back up with me bear hunting when I leave Monday. Taking the stuff out of the barrels might be a chore. Specially when It warms up. That's kinda why I layered the barrels with trail mix though hoping it would help break up the sticky stuff.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Trying some new stuff..

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:10 am

Intresting. Hope it brings a happy ending to Shultzy's bear hunt part II.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:28 am

YAHTZEE Schultzy!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:43 am

Cool story. Dealing with that treat would be way better than dealing with rotten meat. Interesting for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
djl

Unread postby djl » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:15 am

I got hungry reading that. :L: Should be a great bait.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:31 am

When you see the results I think you will think about forgetting about meat in the future. 8-)
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:30 am

dan wrote:When you see the results I think you will think about forgetting about meat in the future. 8-)
I don't know about that but we'll see. ;) One thing about meat is Its very filling and I believe its a much stronger scent then that of bakery/candy goods. Its a good stink bait put it that way which is a must have in my opinion when baiting bears. There's times we can smell the bait 100 yards before we get to it. It's also cheaper for us to use as we don't pay a thing for it from the butcher that I go to. That big brown sow that's been hitting our baits the last 4 years she prefers the meat over everything else.

I'll say this though the majority of our baits the 1st thing that is cleaned up is the trail mix and doughnuts. They love that stuff. The meat usually goes last.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:36 am

By me the bear tastes seemed to change every few weeks....but one thing that almost always holds true ist the trail mix or anything with nuts.

Must be natural for them? had a couple 40lb boxes of just cashews once....they went "nuts" for them. :lol:

Good luck next week....keep us posted.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:00 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:By me the bear tastes seemed to change every few weeks....but one thing that almost always holds true ist the trail mix or anything with nuts.

Must be natural for them? had a couple 40lb boxes of just cashews once....they went "nuts" for them. :lol:

Good luck next week....keep us posted.
Thank you sir and will do!!
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Bear will like that better than cookie dough. Big boys are on the prowl now.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:29 pm

Good luck Schultzy! Sounds like you have some goodies there. I would have a hard time sitting on stand looking at it and would have to sneak down for a snack! :lol:

Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:57 pm

Dewey wrote:Good luck Schultzy! Sounds like you have some goodies there. I would have a hard time sitting on stand looking at it and would have to sneak down for a snack! :lol:

I called my dad and told him about the stuff. He too said I might have to eat some when he finally gets to see it. lol

My brother headed up this afternoon and made out for an evening hunt. He passed on a 110 pounder or so. He also brought a barrel of this stuff up with him so tomorrow they will start using it some. Monday I'm bringing 3 more barrels with me.
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:53 pm

I use a lot of beef fat. Use it frozen so they can't run off with pieces. Beaver fleshing frozen is good too.

They hit that before anything. I mix it with trail mix or sunflower seeds.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:48 pm

Schultzy wrote:
dan wrote:When you see the results I think you will think about forgetting about meat in the future. 8-)
I don't know about that but we'll see. ;) One thing about meat is Its very filling and I believe its a much stronger scent then that of bakery/candy goods. Its a good stink bait put it that way which is a must have in my opinion when baiting bears. There's times we can smell the bait 100 yards before we get to it. It's also cheaper for us to use as we don't pay a thing for it from the butcher that I go to. That big brown sow that's been hitting our baits the last 4 years she prefers the meat over everything else.

I'll say this though the majority of our baits the 1st thing that is cleaned up is the trail mix and doughnuts. They love that stuff. The meat usually goes last.

Doughnuts and sweet breads are picked out of my piles 1st usually, but every bear seems to have a different taste. I use sweet scents, and I too can smell my bait from over 100 yards downwind. I personally think variety is important.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:36 pm

Good luck Steve!! I think you will be pleased with the results!! Plus you are a bear killing guru anyway!! 8-)

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”