Posting for Black Squirrel (Bear Hunt)

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

forgehunter
500 Club

Re: Posting for Black Squirrel (Bear Hunt)

Unread postby forgehunter » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:36 am

Congrats BS! awsome job! :clap:

Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:15 pm

Congrats Dan cant wait to hear the details
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:12 pm

Congrats on the nice bear :clap:
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:01 am

Thanks for posting this Carol. And Thanks to Mike for sending Carol the pics. WOW what can I say this was an awesome experince. Tue. night, before the hunt we got to sit around the camp fire and get down all the do's and dont's for the hunt. I got to meet Peter who was the land owner where I would be hunting and also be my guide. What a great guy. He said he has lots of bear on his property. He wasn't kidding. I got to my stand at 11:00 am and didn't have to wait long to see my first bear. At 1:30 a small one came in. These bears are super quiet when they come in. I happen to look away for just a split second and all of the sudden I hear the rock get swiped off the bait log. When I refocus on the bait there is a small bear working the log back and forth trying to tip it over to expose the bait. Once he got that log over he sat down and ate and ate. He stayed for about 45 min. I watched him the whole time and shot a little film and snapped a few pictures.
After he left it wasn't long before the next bear came. Noticing she was quite a bit bigger than the first one, I hemmed and hawed on wheather I should shoot this bear. She also ate for about 15 min. I think she got a whiff of my scent as she sat up and started working her nose and looking in my direction. She sat there for 5 min trying to figure it out and then decided to leave. As she left quartering away from me she paused just long enough for me to slip a slick trick right in the sweet spot. I hear the bear run off for a little ways then nothing, no crashing, no death moan. At this point a little doubt creeps into the back of my mind. But the shot looked and sounded good to me. As per Mike's orders once you shoot a bear you are to exit your stand and call him or one of his guides. So I get down and leave throught the woods and up to the dirt road I got dropped off by. As luck would have it Mike and Rob (the lead guide) happen to be cruising by in a side by side four wheeler. I flagged them down. After telling them my story Mike decides he and I will go look for the bear while Rob goes back to camp and gets the truck, a bear hauling cot, and some help. When we get to the bait sight Mike gets the remaining bait back into the log and I scan where the bear was standing when I shot. I see my nocturnal glowing and the arrow drenched in blood just a few feet away. We finish covering the bait and go to inspect the arrow. There is a good blood trail leading away, in the same general direction I heard the bear run off. After a 50 yard or so walk we come upon the bear laying on the ground. Mike cautiously approached it and made sure it was dead. It was and then it finally hit me I had my first WI Bear, a 207# sow. We tagged it and left to go back and meet Rob and Brian who had the bear cot. When we returned to the bear, Mike snapped a few pics of me and the bear and we hauled it out and back to camp. It was a great experince, I bet had I not shot this bear, I would have seen a few more that evening, and quite possibly a bigger one but Mike said the average Bear in WI is 125#, and I was very happy to get an above average bear with archery gear.
The next morning My son and friend who came along got to help Bill go out and track a wounded bear from the night before. Mike holds a special hunt for handicapped hunters. Jim the hunter, was in a bicycle acident where he was hit by a car and has a very hard time walking especially in rugged terrain. Well he shot a bear with the rifle the night before, with just a few minutes of legal shooting time left. He saw the bear go down and flip on it's back, only to quickly get up and drag itself into the bush. It rain that night which made finding blood very difficult. We did find some right at the shot and then just a few drops for awhile. Then nothing, we had looked for another hour. The thing we had going for us is this bait is at the top of a steep ravine. Later we picked up on some broken twigs and stirred up leaves. We followed what we thought was the path that the bear dragged its back legs down to the bottom which was a dry gully. Shortly after following it down hill we come across the bear, only to find him still alive. We got Jim down there and finisned it off snapped a few pics and dragged it out for him. Jim was very happy, he felt really bad that he had woulded a bear and was relieved and excited that we found it for him.
Mike runs a top notch camp, and I would recommend Northern Wisconsin Outfitters to anyone who wants a guided hunt. Everyone from the camp cook to the skinner/butcher and the guides were all great guys. There were 11 hunters in camp, (a few stayed at the local hotel). All were great guys. We got along well and each night would talk about the days hunt around the camp fire. Last I heard 10 out of 13 hunters had gotten their bear. The last 3 guys had oppurtunities but are holding out for a big one. One of the guys, Rick, is using a longbow from a ground blind while trying to get it all on film.
Again, I can't say enough about Mike Foss and Northern Wisconsin Outfitters. After waiting 10 years to draw a WI tag, Mike has given me memories that will last a life time. Great job Mike, and Thanks!
Dan
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:52 am

:clap: Awesome story. 8-)
trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:56 am

I want to bear hunt! I have been on a guided hunt in the fall and it sucked. I want to go on a real life hang with your stands, camp with buddies, see some bears, type of bear hunt.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:10 am

Great story! Congrats again on your first bear kill. 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:37 pm

We (John) scored on a bear this AM, so only two hunters left. One more day and hunters have to go home but will return in a week or so if need be.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:46 pm

Black Squirrel wrote:Thanks for posting this Carol. And Thanks to Mike for sending Carol the pics. WOW what can I say this was an awesome experince. Tue. night, before the hunt we got to sit around the camp fire and get down all the do's and dont's for the hunt. I got to meet Peter who was the land owner where I would be hunting and also be my guide. What a great guy. He said he has lots of bear on his property. He wasn't kidding. I got to my stand at 11:00 am and didn't have to wait long to see my first bear. At 1:30 a small one came in. These bears are super quiet when they come in. I happen to look away for just a split second and all of the sudden I hear the rock get swiped off the bait log. When I refocus on the bait there is a small bear working the log back and forth trying to tip it over to expose the bait. Once he got that log over he sat down and ate and ate. He stayed for about 45 min. I watched him the whole time and shot a little film and snapped a few pictures.
After he left it wasn't long before the next bear came. Noticing she was quite a bit bigger than the first one, I hemmed and hawed on wheather I should shoot this bear. She also ate for about 15 min. I think she got a whiff of my scent as she sat up and started working her nose and looking in my direction. She sat there for 5 min trying to figure it out and then decided to leave. As she left quartering away from me she paused just long enough for me to slip a slick trick right in the sweet spot. I hear the bear run off for a little ways then nothing, no crashing, no death moan. At this point a little doubt creeps into the back of my mind. But the shot looked and sounded good to me. As per Mike's orders once you shoot a bear you are to exit your stand and call him or one of his guides. So I get down and leave throught the woods and up to the dirt road I got dropped off by. As luck would have it Mike and Rob (the lead guide) happen to be cruising by in a side by side four wheeler. I flagged them down. After telling them my story Mike decides he and I will go look for the bear while Rob goes back to camp and gets the truck, a bear hauling cot, and some help. When we get to the bait sight Mike gets the remaining bait back into the log and I scan where the bear was standing when I shot. I see my nocturnal glowing and the arrow drenched in blood just a few feet away. We finish covering the bait and go to inspect the arrow. There is a good blood trail leading away, in the same general direction I heard the bear run off. After a 50 yard or so walk we come upon the bear laying on the ground. Mike cautiously approached it and made sure it was dead. It was and then it finally hit me I had my first WI Bear, a 207# sow. We tagged it and left to go back and meet Rob and Brian who had the bear cot. When we returned to the bear, Mike snapped a few pics of me and the bear and we hauled it out and back to camp. It was a great experince, I bet had I not shot this bear, I would have seen a few more that evening, and quite possibly a bigger one but Mike said the average Bear in WI is 125#, and I was very happy to get an above average bear with archery gear.
The next morning My son and friend who came along got to help Bill go out and track a wounded bear from the night before. Mike holds a special hunt for handicapped hunters. Jim the hunter, was in a bicycle acident where he was hit by a car and has a very hard time walking especially in rugged terrain. Well he shot a bear with the rifle the night before, with just a few minutes of legal shooting time left. He saw the bear go down and flip on it's back, only to quickly get up and drag itself into the bush. It rain that night which made finding blood very difficult. We did find some right at the shot and then just a few drops for awhile. Then nothing, we had looked for another hour. The thing we had going for us is this bait is at the top of a steep ravine. Later we picked up on some broken twigs and stirred up leaves. We followed what we thought was the path that the bear dragged its back legs down to the bottom which was a dry gully. Shortly after following it down hill we come across the bear, only to find him still alive. We got Jim down there and finisned it off snapped a few pics and dragged it out for him. Jim was very happy, he felt really bad that he had woulded a bear and was relieved and excited that we found it for him.
Mike runs a top notch camp, and I would recommend Northern Wisconsin Outfitters to anyone who wants a guided hunt. Everyone from the camp cook to the skinner/butcher and the guides were all great guys. There were 11 hunters in camp, (a few stayed at the local hotel). All were great guys. We got along well and each night would talk about the days hunt around the camp fire. Last I heard 10 out of 13 hunters had gotten their bear. The last 3 guys had oppurtunities but are holding out for a big one. One of the guys, Rick, is using a longbow from a ground blind while trying to get it all on film.
Again, I can't say enough about Mike Foss and Northern Wisconsin Outfitters. After waiting 10 years to draw a WI tag, Mike has given me memories that will last a life time. Great job Mike, and Thanks!
Dan
Great write up Squirrel! Congratulation's once again!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:21 pm

Great story and bear Black Squirrel! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”