A funny bear encounter (kinda)

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

A funny bear encounter (kinda)

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:18 pm

This doesn't Involve me but thought I'd share It anyway. My dad hunted Colorado for damn near 20 years. Their main animal they would hunt was elk but they'd also buy Muley and bear tags too In case the oppertunity came about.

Anyway one of the guys In the hunting party had shot a cow elk so once or twice a day my dad or one of the other guys would make the trip to where the elk was gutted and quartered and see If there was anything at the kill site. This particular trip to the carcass It was my dad and 2 other guys (Al and Bob) and sure enough there was a sow and 2 cubs at the kill site chewing away on what was left of the elk. They snuck to with In 15 yards of the sow and cubs and Al went to take his camera out and take some pictures but found out It was out of film. They figured they'd make some noise and hope the sow would bark and send the cubs up the tree so one of the guys could go back to camp and get some film and come back and take pictures while the others would keep the cubs In the tree. Sure enough the sow barked and the cubs scurried up the tree when the guys made some noise.

My dad and Al went back to camp and Bob kept the cubs In the tree. My dad would've stayed too but Al who had the camera didn't think he'd be able to find his way back. After these guys got the film they made their mile walk back from camp and ran Into some elk. Instead of going around the elk they tried putting a stalk on these elk being there was a nice bull amongst some cows. While putting the stalk on they could hear a balling noise and right away dad told Al, that's the cubs balling. We better get our 's going!! :o

By the time they got there the cubs were still In the tree but were about 20 feet up. A few feet below them was Bob In the tree 15 or so feet up. On the ground below Bob at the base of the tree was the sow barking at her cubs and giving Bob . Every time the sow would bark the cubs would start coming down. Every time they got close to Bob he'd bump them with the tip of his recurve and they'd shoot right back up the tree. Every time he'd bump them In the rear they'd crap on him. Runny nasty stuff too. When dad and Al got there the sow took of running and they got some pictures of the cubs In the tree. It's funny as heck hearing my dad and these 2 guys talk about this. Every year It gets brought up and every time my dad and Al get called some nasty swear words from Bob!! ;) I wish I had pictures of the cubs In the tree but I don't.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: A funny bear encounter (kinda)

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:05 pm

:lol:
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: A funny bear encounter (kinda)

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:42 am

That's a good one! :lol:

• Advertisement