MN Bear Success Story

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

djl

MN Bear Success Story

Unread postby djl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:53 am

It was me and the dog heading up to Northern Minnesota to hunt bear while the rest of the family headed south to celebrate grandma's birthday. Three years ago I passed on two smaller ones so this year with the new pit getting destroyed I was pumped and ready to tag a bear.

September 1, around 1:30 p.m. I couldn't take it anymore and told my brother in law that I was headed out to the pit to get set up. The northwest wind was perfect for the stand I set up. The bear trail's at the bait told me they were coming in from the west and north. Perfect. I drove my wheeler back to the pit just like during my normal baiting routine. This time though my idea was to trick any bear that was bedded close by to think that once I baited and drove the wheeler away I was gone. I made quick work of rebaiting, hanging the bow and restacking the logs. As I put the last log on the bait pile I heard a loud snap of a twig and a low growl. The hair on my neck stood up. The bear was close maybe 50 yards to the west in the heavy willow swamp. Oh boy.

As I walked back to my wheeler I kept an eye on my backside. I drove the wheeler about 200 yards away and snuck back into the pit and climbed into my stand. Once all strapped in I settled down and drew back a couple of times going through the motions of a 12 yard shot. As I sat there I noticed the binder on my longhorn hex release broke. With the binder off the hinge, the hook that attaches to the d loop was now swinging freely. Disaster. Luckily I pack a backup release that I practice with year round and pulled this out of my pack. With the new release strapped to my wrist I was back in business. It was now about 3:30.

All was quiet with only a little chipmunk coming into the bait. At around 7:12 I seen a big black form making its way straight at me from the North. It was light out and I had no doubt in my mind that it was a bear. A big one at that. The bear came in with authority and tested the air. It was now at 15 yards in the open as it eyed the bait. The bear stood broadside and swung its head back and forth. Had I been drawn back I could have taken a perfect broadside shot. The bear turned around and headed east, the way I came in. It was still within 20 yards. At this point the bear turned back around and came right in. It was now standing at 10 yards broadside in almost the exact spot it stood moments earlier. The bear turned its head away from me and scratched itself. I thought no better time so I drew the bow back.

At full draw I let the pin settle right behind the bear's front leg. I fought the urge to dump the arrow and focused on a spot in the middle of the bear. The arrow was there instantly and the big boar let out a growl. Bear's are extremely fast and this guy was gone to the North in a blink of an eye. What just happened. I was shaking badly and had to breath. Wow! There was no death moan, just a rustling of the leaves from the cool Northwest wind.

I couldn't see my luminock but knew I had a pass through. A thousand things run through a guy's mind at this moment. Did I make a good hit, will I find it. I waited what seemed like two hours before climbing down to look for the arrow but in reality it was 30 minutes. Once on the ground I saw the green nock lit up. The arrow confirmed good blood however I gave it another 15 minutes before starting the trailing. It didn't take more than 5 yards to discover a nice blood trail and the bear was there on the ground some 40 yards away. A big beautiful bear with a thick black coat and brown muzzle.

Bear hunting is probably my most favorite thing to do. The first sight of a bear coming into the bait is almost magical. They really are an awesome creature.

This bear dressed out at 225 pounds. It has a really wide head and measures 70" from tip of nose to tail.

Thanks for letting me share my story.

Crazinamatese

Re: MN Bear Success Story

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:05 am

Congrats. Good story...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:06 am

Awsome hunt! Congrats!
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:35 am

Awesome!! Good head on him!! Congrats!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:49 am

That's a great looking bear, congrats!
crappieangler

Unread postby crappieangler » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:08 am

Awesome story, and nice looking bear! Congrats on a job well done.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:19 am

Cool man. I wish I will kill a big one like that someday before I die

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:22 am

Great job! Congratulations!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:49 am

Nice Bear!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:51 am

That's what I'm talkin about!
NICE BEAR!!! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
djl

Unread postby djl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:14 pm

Thanks. Just had a bear roast in the crock pot and family said it tastes better than beef and better than venison. I must agree.
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:16 pm

Great looking bear, thanks for the story
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:16 pm

Thanks for sharing the story, that's probably the closest I will ever get to bear hunting.
natvbearhntr
500 Club

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:45 am

djl congrats on the bear hunt. That is nice bear and it was a good story. The head on that guy looks huge.
C&T Archery
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ctarchery?ref=hl

Unread postby C&T Archery » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:54 am

Congrats! :clap:
http://www.ctarchery.com
email: sales@ctarchery.com

[glow=red]Farmers Insurance -- Chad Ratzburg Agency
FOR A FREE LOOK AT YOUR AUTO, HOME, ATV, BOAT, LIFE OR BUSINESS INSURANCE NEEDS. PM ME OR EMAIL ME
Email: cratzburg@farmersagent.com
[/glow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”