Judging Bear size

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

crappieangler

Judging Bear size

Unread postby crappieangler » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:26 pm

Hey guys, looking to see what your thoughts are. I've spent a few hours the past few days reading lots of different forums, articles, and videos of judging bear sizes. I'm starting to watch videos just to put it into practice, but then I started thinking that I may be thinking a bear is good sized and have the wrong impression. I know being in the woods it'll likely be a different situation (being in person and the ticker pumping), but I am trying to be as prepared as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0ECjeUEGcc

The bear in this video I'm guessing is mature-ish. At first I wondered if it's a sow b/c the hind quarters are bigger than the front, but it doesn't appear to have the slope from back to front. It doesn't appear skiddish, but also doesn't have the pigeon toed, careless waddle (attitude) I've read about. AS mentioned it's hind quarters are smaller than the front, it has a definable neck and not an overly saggy belly. Head to me doesn't appear overly blocky, but looks like he's battled a bit with the wragged ear and some scratches on his muzzle. Seems to be an ok spread b/t his ears, but seems like theres a crease on his forehead which supposedly means a good bear. At certain angles he looks better to me. As far as weight goes, I wouldn't have a clue what I'd guess....250-300?

Am I being too critical, or on right track? What do you guys think about this specific example and what it'd weigh?

crappieangler

Re: Judging Bear size

Unread postby crappieangler » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:31 pm

hopefully the bait site has a 5ft log to compare to, then I guess that will erase all doubts.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:16 am

That is a very nice bear, mature and long, nice crease on his forehead. If one comes in like that shoot it. Enjoy your hunt.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:24 am

I knew right away that was a boar. He's wide in the front with a boar looking head. Your weight estimate I'd say is close. His swagger when he came in too gave away his sex. He had some attitude how he walked in. Swaying side to side some. If you bear hunt long enough you will see some huge sows look allot like boars. The biggest sow I've ever seen bear hunting was probably pushing 500lbs dressed. She had 4 cubs. If I never would've saw the cubs I would've bet the bank she was a boar. She easily had a Pope and Young head which isn't that common for sows.
crappieangler

Unread postby crappieangler » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:56 am

Good to know. Like I said at certain angles he looked big and others I wasn't 100%. I just needed someone's opinion so I know if I was judging incorrectly or not. Glad I asked, now I have a feel for that swagger, and the other characteristics you guys mention. Thanks, I appreciate your guys' expertise.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:54 am

Holy cow that thing looked huge! I will be hunting bear next year and I can promise you if that one came in he would get an arrow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”