Bear vs My Dog Updates (some graphic pictures)

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Bear vs My Dog Updates (some graphic pictures)

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue May 14, 2013 2:26 pm

I don't know why I posted in the Anoucements area before..... :oops: but will be updating here since this is the bear hunting area of the Beast.

Link below is the orginal story...

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19474

Only have a couple of pictures on this computer of the wounds....The worst injuy is the crushed pelvis, X-rays look horrible and I feel so sorry for our dog. I'm usually a pretty tough guy but this situation is rough to witness with the dog. I have no ill will towards any other bear but if the SOB bear shows that did this to our dog I will not hesitate to kill it.

After contacting the WDNR and USDA WS a trap has been placed in our yard. I raked up a good portion of grass to expose sand to help indentify the track of any bear that may enter the trap. I want to be as accurate as possible we have the right bear to kill. Any bear that doesn't have a track that resembles our target will be relocated.

The below pictures is about all could find of sign left by the bear..... a poor print in the hardpack gravel and a swipe mark in the lawn on a missed swing on one of the dogs. I wish I could have found more sign......but it's more than the USDA guy could find that dropped the trap off. I did find more tracks/digging in the garden but can't be sure it was the same bear or left the same day. The garden tracks looked to washed out to be only a few hours old.

Both of our house dogs are more the wife's and kid's.....Lady is almost 7 years old and always did kind of favor me before the attack......Now she almost only wants to go by me. Can't say why....maybe thinks I will protect her better?

Anyway, both dogs are just little whipper snappers and Louie (the grey little one) did his best yipping and bitting at the bear's but trying to pull it off the Lady (the white biger one).

Kind of a weird feeling as I haven't felt his kind of hatred toward any animal.

I will do what it takes to personally kill this bear. For what it did to our pet, pulled twice of the dog and advanced toward my wife and the potential it could do to our family if it returns. The wife and kids are afraid to even play outside now and just for that I am ticked and angry towards this bear.

The more I look at the dogs wounds.....could it have been a sow trying to teach it's cubs how to attack and kill? Almost how this is done with fawns? My wife nor the neighbor who came over to help seen any cubs but I still think this might have been a sow that did the damage. If the bear really wanted to it should have been able to kill the dog quickly and with relative ease. Why did the bear keep leaving the dog to chase my wife then return back to the wounded dog only to give a slash or break bones?

PLB
500 Club

Re: Bear vs My Dog Updates (some graphic pictures)

Unread postby PLB » Tue May 14, 2013 2:40 pm

Wow those wounds are pretty massive Hodag!!! I feel sorry for the dog and your family! Hope you can kill this bear for some closure!! Good luck and keep us posted.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Tue May 14, 2013 3:26 pm

Boy what nasty wounds. Vet did a nice job fixing the little guy up. Hope he recovers quickly.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue May 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Nasty wounds there! :shock: Hope your dog heals up well.

You can bet I will be buying some bear spray for my trip to Yellowstone in a few weeks. Hate to run into a grizzly with no protection after seeing the damage a black bear can inflict.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue May 14, 2013 6:06 pm

I hope you get that bear and your dog heals.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue May 14, 2013 8:08 pm

Your very lucky the dog is still alive... Thanks for the update and good luck with the bear. Im thinking it might shy away for awhile now.
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Wed May 15, 2013 12:07 am

Not good.

Cute dogs.....

Looks as though they are recovering well.

Have you armed yourself?

Hang in there, good luck and be safe.
RJR-007
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed May 15, 2013 2:34 am

Bummer on the dogs getting tore up. That bear has to go.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed May 15, 2013 4:24 am

I should had mentioned the last picture is of the dogs before the attack.

The injuried dog does not walk yet. She just started standing and the vet indicated this is good progress. (even pee'd once while standing) She can't "squat" before she just laid down and pee'd where she was. Peeing is becoming more frequent.....was about every 12-14 hours and now sometimes only a 6-8 hour interval.

She hasn't poo'd yet (attack was last wednesday).....vet says this is the last hurdle and may take a few more day because of he trama and all the meds she is on.

Yes I am armed heavily. Also have a nuisance permit to kill the bear on the spot if it shows while I am home. I have been sitting outside everynight watching where the bear usually access our yard. This warm weather coming up ahead should get them back on their feet and give me a opertunity to kill it.
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Wed May 15, 2013 4:46 am

B-patience and safe!
RJR-007
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri May 17, 2013 6:01 pm

No bear in trap.......I plan on moving trap to a more secluded area on property with my wheeler.

Lady has finally poo'd. This is good news at our house. :)

Thanks for all the kind words and well wishes. This dog was meant to be my wife's but over the years I have grown quite fond of her.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”