Bear Attacks Pet Dog........Mine!

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

robert richer

Re: Bear Attacks Pet Dog........Mine!

Unread postby robert richer » Wed May 15, 2013 12:04 am

Wow not good.

I whole heartly agree for the safety of your wife (pets) to have her carry a side arm, .45 or .357 revolver immediately.

I had a bear incounter in noerthern Michigan a few years ago and it was bizzare as well, not normal. Come to find out the bear had a bad tooth, was decaying. Caused bear to be very abnormal, a forester was confronted by this bear (200 + lbs) and was immediately dispatched. Thus found the problem of tooth.

Hodag, sorry to hear about family pet / companion and wish your wife and dog well.

Be safe and for god sake arm your self and your wife.

p.s. I will be flingin arrows at the bears in Hayward this September.......

RJR-007
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 15, 2013 4:40 am

I whole heartly agree for the safety of your wife (pets) to have her carry a side arm, .45 or .357 revolver immediately.

While I "MOSTLY" agree with you.... I think a .45 or .357 is a little to much gun for most women or beginner shooters. I think a .38 SPECIAL IS A GOOD DEFENSE GUN all around. Its gotta be a gun you can handle and shoot quickly. No handgun of any caliber is likely to "kill" an attacking bear. But a hit or two from any caliber is likely to turn it around.

Carol shoots a .38 special revolver and its a lot of gun for her... She can't handle my .40 which is smaller than the guns you recommended.

Also, it irritates me that you have a two day waiting period to buy a handgun when you have the threat "right now!"
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Wed May 15, 2013 4:45 am

Two day waiting period (off subject) ....yeah I agree "Bad".....

Meanwhile, whatever caliber just be sure you arm yourself........with something.

B-safe
RJR-007
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed May 15, 2013 4:52 am

Yes we are looking at .38's with built in laser sight.

She is not a big gun person but wants one now. Will also be looking into bear pepper spray as this may be more pratical for the occasional bear that shows.

I now have to put a big fence up around the front yard where the kids have their swing set and pool. More money this darn bear is costing me. :twisted:
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed May 15, 2013 6:39 am

Wow!! Crazy, crazy story!! I wonder being that It's breeding time If that's why this bear might be a little aggressive. 4 1/4 Inch pad most likely Is a boar In that 175lb range. A 4 to 5 year old at best. Maybe this bear has been fed In the past from someone else. Very sorry to hear about this. Here In Minnesota you have every right to shoot a bear In your yard If their causing havoc or threatening. Best of luck and be safe. I'm sure your wife and everyone else for that matter Is a little gun shy of a bear now while at home. One other thing, get some bear spray If your wife Is scared of guns. I think bear spray might be her best bet anyway. The stuff works awesome.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed May 15, 2013 6:53 pm

WOW! I'm glad your wife and one dog is OK. I hope you get that bear and I'm sorry to hear about Lady. I really hope she not only pulls through, but heals up well so she can have a happy healthy life. It must have been really hard for your wife to hear Lady yelping in pain, thinking the bear is going to kill her and powerless to do anything about it. Tough to see and hear, but just think of what might have happened if the dogs weren't there to distract the bear. I agree about both the gun and the bear spray. I may use the spray unless my dog could get hit with it. Otherwise what was about to be a bad day for the bear would become a really bad day because he would get bullets instead.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat May 25, 2013 9:47 am

Wife seen the bear saturday afternoon walking thru the yard and I was at work so couldn't shoot it. :twisted: :cry:

The USDA wildlife guys came and pulled the trap today because we haven't caught the bear.....they say 14 days is max to keep a trap out....my begging and pleading to keep it out longer wasn't working. Even though my wife is almost certain the bear she saw was the probelm bear, it approached the trap and then walked back on the ridge and wandered off. I kept complaing the trap is located in a crappy spot and it needs to be moved...I will move it if they allow me another week of staying in our yard.

Nope not going to happen but if we see another bear in the lawn, not on the woodline or in the woods, they will bring the trap out again.? Doesn't make sense to me and talking on the phone for an hour and twenty minutes wasn't convincing him to keep it in the yard.

Soooo coming home from work last night see a bear crossing the road headed towards our yard. I hang up the phone on Magic man, jump out of the truck with my gun and chase it up a tree slightly and then see a cub. Long story short chased the sow and her cubs up two different trees and had her as close as 15' ...she didn't make aggressive moves toward me.

Yeah she was popping her teeth, woofing and hissing but everytime I would stomp the ground and make a quick move toward her she would turn and run away slightly. I was pretty convinced it wasn't the problem bear but my wife came down in the truck and verfied she didn't think it was the one were looking for. So obviusly I didn't shoot it. ( I have a tag to kill a bear but want to kill the problem the bear...not just any bear.)

That encounter makes 6 different bear (9 if counting the 3 cubs from last night) we (we being just myself, wife and kids. does not include the neighbor's sightings) have seen in daylight in our yard or the neighbors yard since the snow melted this year. Someone tell me we don't have a lot of bear running around our area. :roll: Yeah good idea to not place the trap on the woodline to try and capture a bear.....lets just place the trap smack dab in the middle of my back lawn. :roll: :?

Warden made the rounds right after the intial attack telling people to clean up any feed/birdfeeders if any other neighbors have them out yet. So all these bear are just traveling past/current circuts they ussually do looking for food. I think they are sucking up acorns that were left from the bumper crop last year.

On a brighter note our dog had it's stiches removed Wednesday and can walk about 10'. She walks with quite a wobble and the vet now advises to let her walk a couple times a day for not more than 20' at a clip. Keep her muscle strength up. She will more than likley live but have arthritis problems with her hips and pelvis that was/is crushed. She will be allright thou......just is getting spoiled from all of us ad I think the wife and kids treat her better than me. :shock: :lol:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat May 25, 2013 10:39 am

Keep us posted and kill that rogue bear.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat May 25, 2013 12:13 pm

Thanks for the up date... Very interesting story.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed May 29, 2013 3:21 pm

Well...this is getting nuts.

Seen (2) cubs coming home from work Sunday night in the neighbors yard about 8pm. Went to back up my truck and they were gone.....never did see the sow. Thought to myself I'm calling Tuesday to get a trap back out here. I also have bear pictures the night before my sow and 3 cub encounter. (pulled card Friday after work) Note (2) different cameras at different angles.

So I call my neighbor and let him know my intentions and he asks if I got his message? Sorry we rarely check the home phone message machine. Well he goes on to say he seen the suspected dog attacker in his yard Friday afternoon about 5pm. He went outside to chase it away and it ran, stopped and looked back at him and then took off when he started jumping up and down screaming at it. He indicated he too plans on calling the Wildlife Service about the over abundance of bear this year.

So Tuesday I place my call and leave a message....my wildlife service guy is in a meeting (later find out one of the hot topics is our bear problem). So while waiting for his return call my wife calls and says she sees the sow and only (2) of the cubs crossing into the neighbors yard at the "high bear crossing". This is at 12:30 in the afternoon. We named it this because we see a a lot of bear crossing in this spot but this year is way over the norm so far.

So my return call comes when I am in a meeting, voice message indicates he will call me back Wed morning and make a plan.

With the rain most of the day and it tapering off about 7:30pm I get home at 8:00pm and sit on the back deck with the rifle....only a coon and fox pass thru the yard, no bear. Crap.

But I go check the card at a camera I placed at one of our better bear crossings in our yard and this is what shows...... I do NOT think it is the same sow.

What do you guys think? Should I set up a viewing area where tourists can come out and try to catch a glimpse of a bear in the yard? :lol:

Well Ca
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 29, 2013 3:40 pm

Am I seeing things or is that an awfully BIG sow in those last pics? :shock:

Sounds like you have a bear problem! :lol:

Seriously though that's pretty scary how they are wandering around at all times of the day. Hope they get some natural food soon so they go back to being bears again and stop raiding feeders and such. Been hearing way too many problem bear reports this year!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed May 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Thanks for the update...
parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Thu May 30, 2013 4:43 am

Man that stinks. I am still waiting to see pics of the dog.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu May 30, 2013 6:08 am

parkersdad wrote:Man that stinks. I am still waiting to see pics of the dog.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I had two different posts going by mistake for awhile....sorry for the confusion. Link is below.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19555
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 am

Trap coming back out. Seen the sow and cubs again this morning driving out of my driveway.

Was saving my tag for the single dog attack bear but was advised to shoot the sow if given another chance. I don't really feel good about shooting a sow with 3 little cubs but she is hanging the yard way to much in the daylight.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”