Broadheads for Bear

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike Foss
500 Club

Broadheads for Bear

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:10 am

For you archery bear hunters what broadhead have you used or plan on using and why. A well placed shot most broadheads will do there job but I personally think a fixed broadhead works best.

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Broadheads for Bear

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:40 am

any broadhead I use for deer, I would be comfortable using on black bear.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:44 am

I have killed bears with both fixed and mechanical. Neither bear made it past 50 yards because both shots were perfect. I think as long as you use a good quality razor sharp head and wait for a good shot angle, you'll be fine. That's the nice part of hunting over bait because you can be patient and wait for a perfect shot.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:28 am

I use fixed... Been using muzzys and they have treated me well. Out of a 1/2 dozen bow killed bears, only one got away, and that was all me. I hit him in the shoulder and stopped at bone. You could hear the bone smack.
You ain't getting thru any heavy meat with a mech. I put a 4 blade muzzy right thru both shoulders on my 500 pound bear and the arrow was buried 12 inches deep in the soil after the pass thru.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:08 am

(6) bear shot with all fixed blades. Muzzy and Savora. (the savaora were from the early 90's)

4 died with-in site, one died 60-75 yards on the run and the last one took a "little" chasing because of a poor shot by me. Dumped two more arrows in him before it was all over.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:09 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:(6) bear shot with all fixed blades. Muzzy and Savora. (the savaora were from the early 90's)

4 died with-in site, one died 60-75 yards on the run and the last one took a "little" chasing because of a poor shot by me. Dumped two more arrows in him before it was all over.

Nobody likes to wound an animal but I would have liked to be on that tracking job.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:08 am

I've shot 11 bear, all with solid cut on contact broadheads (3 blade snuffers, bear razors, single bevel outback supremes). Some have went 100+ yards and some have only went 20 yards. The short ones were all from 3 blade snuffers. Our group all uses solid cut on contact broadheads (3 blade snuffers, 2 blade zwickeys, 3 blade muzzy phantom, 2 blade magnus. I'd say we have In the neighborhood of 70 kills In the past 25 some years. Maybe more. Only a handfull or 2 has been lost. Minus a couple of gut shot bear that were chased by timbers that we lost the rest were due to bad shots.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:54 am

Mike Foss wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:(6) bear shot with all fixed blades. Muzzy and Savora. (the savaora were from the early 90's)

Nobody likes to wound an animal but I would have liked to be on that tracking job.

It's a good story now but wasn't really fun when by myself and thought best to retreat for help after tracking and realizing he was still alive. On the way out to get help (magic man) ran into another bear near the bait I originally shot from.....in the dark with no flashlight on....standing in the trail I was walking out on. When my flashlight hit him/her at 15 feet he gruffed/huffed, I drew my sidearm and and said oh crap out loud and the bear turned right around and walked away.

I had new underwear on when Magic and i went back in at midnight. :shock: :lol:
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:56 pm

my choice is ;

Slick trick.

Rage extreme.

Never killed a bear, but these arrow tips did well.

Rage...excellent with Turkeys
Slick tick....whew, awesome with whitetail.
RJR-007
djl

Unread postby djl » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:56 am

I might look into those 3 blade snuffers for this year.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:23 pm

I've only killed 2 bears, both with fixed blade heads, one was a poor hit in the paunch with a 2 blade COC head and the bear died just 100 yards from the bait. The other was a double lung hit with the Tru Fire T1 and the holes it left were incredible, that bear died just 75 yards from the bait and his lungs were so filled with blood he couldn't moan, just a gurgling sound.

I would stay away from mechanicals on bears as their hide is tougher than whitetails and if you should hit the shoulder your chances of any penetration are slim, even a solid rib hit could cause less than desirable results with a mechanical.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”