Bear meat?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

robert richer

Bear meat?

Unread postby robert richer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:07 am

I know I'am way ahead of myself, but any ideas on what or how to process bear meat?

Do you treat the bear meat like deer and locate your favorite processor?

RJR-007
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bear meat?

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:10 am

Bear meat is Delicious if the bear is properly handled in the field... I treat it more like beef than venison. However, its very important to trim all fat off bear meat prior to cooking.
djl

Unread postby djl » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:39 am

What Dan said in regards to getting all the fat off. A little fat/tallow left on the meat will ruin it fast.
Get that hide off a soon as possible and cool that meat down.
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:22 am

dan wrote:Bear meat is Delicious if the bear is properly handled in the field... I treat it more like beef than venison. However, its very important to trim all fat off bear meat prior to cooking.

X2. I love bear meat but it has to be done properly. The guys i know process their own. They have also been doing it for years including beef and venison

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:48 am

I will take bear burger over just about anything!! Yum Yum!! Bear roasts and steaks are awesome too!!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:06 am

I have only cut up one bear. It was shot in the evening, and we cooled it right away, put ~20lbs of ice inside and outside and wrapped in a tarp. Had a taxidermist skin it in the morning. After that it went back to hunting camp and I quartered it and put it in a cooler with ice.

A day or so later I got home and finished cutting it up and processing. I dont remember doing anything special, but do remember it being much more difficult than a deer, maybe I just wasn't used to cutting up an animal that looks like a human when skinned. Also, I am pretty meticulus in handling deer, and used the same precautions. I always have a dog bag going, anything questionable goes to the dogs or coyotes. So maybe I trimmed it better than I first admitted to.

It was one of the best tasting animals I have ever brought home. Makes me want to start planning another one, I think I got 4 pref points.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:45 pm

I think bear meat is among the best tasting wild game and even better than beef.

Not sure if it was just me or not but I swear my bear almost had a sweet taste to the meat! Must have been all of the goodies he was eating at the bait site! :lol:

gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:29 pm

A buddy of mine brought some bear chops on a bowhunt to Ohio and I was skeptical at first?? But they were delicious, I ate a ton of it. Better than beef if you ask me. I'm hoping to try some of my own sooner than later. I have 6 preference points but the Baldwin unit, which I wanna hunt requires at least 10 points. So I have a few years to wait but I think it will be worth it seeing some of the trophy bears coming out of lower Michigan.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:03 pm

The only noticeable difference I have seen in Bear meat verses venison is the amount of interlaced fat in the meat. If you take a deer backstrap and bear backstrap and lay them side by side you will see alot of noticeable striations of fat and sinew in the bear as opposed to the venison. I think bear takes more tedious trimming than venison, but like everyone else has said if you cool it properly and kept it clean it is delicious table fare.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”