bear guide mn

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

andynguyen

bear guide mn

Unread postby andynguyen » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:11 am

Looking for an affordable bear hunt in mn. Been looking on line but wanted to stretch my search here too. Area/quota/no quota doesnt matter, just want to shoot my first one. Also how logical can it be for a diy? I am from shakopee area.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: bear guide mn

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:31 am

andynguyen wrote:Looking for an affordable bear hunt in mn. Been looking on line but wanted to stretch my search here too. Area/quota/no quota doesnt matter, just want to shoot my first one. Also how logical can it be for a diy? I am from shakopee area.

I DIY Northern Minnisota all the way from S.E. Wisconsin, so its certainly doable... The reason I do it myself is because I tried hunting with outfitters up there and they all seemed 2nd rate.... I hunted with a guy and stayed and extra week and never saw a bear, and no one in the whole camp shot one out of a dozen hunters. I went and looked at some of the other outfitters in that area and found similar results. Baits right next to the road, no trail camera patterns, no idea when bears were hitting, and baits in bad locations for mature boar daytime hits... I went back the next year on my own and saw dozens of bears... And have a heck of a better time by myself... If you look through old posts you can find some details about the hunts, bait positions, bait, etc.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:46 am

Going out on your own and getting started Is tough these days. Depending where you go you can run Into allot of chaos unfortunately. I'm a do It your own bear hunter. I know where I hunt It's down right nuts with bear hunters. 95% of these are bear guides. Allot of people have came and gone In the area I hunt. Way too many confrontation's with bear guides. Game Wardens getting called baby sitting pissed off people etc. The game warden In the area I hunt just cringes when bear season roles around. I don't blame him either being It's down right chaos the 1st week of the season. Anyhow If your serious about going with a guide I know of a very good bear guide.

Frank Nelson from Big Falls Minnesota. His number Is 218-244-9214. He's been doing this for 40+ years.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:41 am

The biggest advantage of an outfitter is baiting before you get to a location. If you only have a week to hunt it can take some time to get a bear coming into a bait. If you have the time/skill/resources(bait supply) DIY is better in my opinion. A good outfitter won't let you sit on a dead bait. A poor, overextended outfitter will.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
andynguyen

Unread postby andynguyen » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:35 am

Thanka guys! I will have to do some research.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:25 am

As Shultzy said, I get a lot of confrontations from outfitters too, but its mostly just talk... They will mess with your baits though in some cases.
As far as the wardens go, I have gotten some hassle because with my out of state plates they seem to think Im an outfitter with out a guides license and they like to stop by camp and harass carol and look through our freezer and camp while Im out hunting... They also stopped me on the road asking a hundred questions.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”