Shoot a small bear last day?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Yes
45%
No
45%
Depends on bait activity
10%

Total votes: 20
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:42 am

would you Shoot a small bear last day?

Schultzy
500 Club

Re: Shoot a small bear last day?

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:55 am

I did It once but It wasn't the last day of the season but rather the last day I was going to hunt bear that year. Other years I've passed bear on the last day that I hunted. Would I shoot a small one again on my last bear hunt of the year? I can't answer that honestly. For me It all boils down to how good our baits are and If It's been a real frustrating hunt so far with no one seeing anything. If that's the case, chances of an arrow flying at a smaller bear will be higher.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:09 pm

dan wrote:would you Shoot a small bear last day?

Since I never shot one I might shoot a small one the first day! :D
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:06 pm

Hard to vote on this one. Since it takes such a long time to draw a tag here in Wisconsin I would be likely to shoot a smaller bear on the last day...maybe even sooner.

I shot my first bear in 2003 and it was a 185 pound bear. (I drew again in 2008 but only saw one bear and couldn't get a shot with the bow) I really want to hold off and shoot a bigger bear next time around BUT the thing is, I LOVE BEAR MEAT!!! So it would be really tough to pass on a small bear later on in the season. Especially when you wait 5 years or more to draw.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:20 pm

I shot my first bear in 2006 and he was pretty average sized at about 200lbs. This was opening day and he was the 2nd bear I saw that day(the first was smaller)
When I get my next tag I will hold out until the last day for something 250lbs or better.
Not sure what you consider "small" but in my eyes anything over 250lbs is a good sized bear to me.
I was told by a taxidermist that the average bear killed in WI is under 200lbs.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:32 am

I voted no cuz I already got a 154 lb boar on the wall and my trophy room is running out of room plus I get a permit every 4 years so I will hold out for a much bigger bear now!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:13 am

Its not the size of the animal its the experience of the hunt that some times makes my decisions.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:13 am

Mike Foss wrote:Its not the size of the animal its the experience of the hunt that some times makes my decisions.
Good post there Mike!!
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:08 am

Yes I would. 9 years is too long to wait to not take one. But, I would shoot a small one on the first day depending on the hunt. If the dogs did an outstanding job on the bear an worked their tails off I would take a small one. If I had a first year puppy in there with the bear that did well I would shoot the bear just for him/her. If it was a mean bear that was beating up dogs I would also take it. There are some bears that have serious attitude and will do nothing but fight, so we like to take them out when we have the chance just to save dogs in the future. We have one that we have been dealing with for a couple years now that we haven't been able to put crosshairs on come fall. He is one of the meanest 200 pounders we have run in to.
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:10 am

Not to mention, if you want one for a rug or mount you need a big house for a big bear and the hide usually isn't as nice as a 150-250 lb bears.
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:57 am

I voted no but would not fault anyone who said yes. I bear hunt at least once or twice a year. As everyone knows bears can spoil quickly in warm weather, but if taken care of right, I would take a good bear steak over a deer anytime.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:05 am

fixed poll
Ragepassthru

Unread postby Ragepassthru » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:08 am

I voted 'yes'. This year will be my second year bear hunting. We saw nothing last year. And since I live in central IL and will be hunting in MN, even a smaller bear will make it worthwhile.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:44 am

I just don't like to take an animal just to fill a tag. If you are happy with a small bear then kill it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:10 am

With the long wait here in Michigan to get a decent zone to hunt in I voted yes. About 5 years ago I passed a small one in Ontario and have been dwelling on it since. I have not yet shot a bear yet so when I do draw this year or next something is getting put in the truck!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”