Well finally got some bear activity at my stand...

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

natvbearhntr
500 Club

Well finally got some bear activity at my stand...

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:51 pm

This guy came in a little after 5pm and decided he wanted to join me in the stand. I wanted to let him come up farther but I got a little nervous the closer he got. Another hunter shot him a short time later.

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm2V0-glG6I[/bbvideo]

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Well finally got some bear activity at my stand...

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:00 pm

Cool footage! 8-)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:18 pm

Very cool. Heard of that happening before many times but never seen on video! 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:56 pm

Well first off you should have been a little more polite :D

Although Boo-Boo listen very well, his Momma should be proud as she taught it well! ;)

Very COOL!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
natvbearhntr
500 Club

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:10 am

Dan I was glad I had my phone close by so I could record that. Edcyclopedia I figured a little harsh get out here was better than the pistol tell him to get down!! lol. Dewey I seen a couple videos like this on youtube. One guy lets the bears head almost reach the platform of the stand before he says anything.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:10 am

That's awesome!! Get out of here bear!! :lol: :lol: Love it!!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
rnmmhunter
Facebook: rnmmhunter@sbcglobal.net

Unread postby rnmmhunter » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:24 pm

I had one put it's paw on my tree stand in 2001.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:01 am

After seeing your video did that bring back memories!! I've had 4 different bear crawl my tree 4 different times. Most got with In a foot of me. It's crazy when you can see that sparkle In their eye's. None of which ever got mad at me though. They were just curious and I let them get as close as they wanted too without ever saying a word. I shot 3 of the 4 bear that climbed my tree after they got down and went to the bait.

Great footage you have here!! Thanks for sharing!!
natvbearhntr
500 Club

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:35 pm

I wanted to let him get closer I just didn't have the courage!!!! lol..
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:36 am

natvbearhntr wrote:I wanted to let him get closer I just didn't have the courage!!!! lol..
My 1st time I was nervous but after about the 3rd one climbed I started expecting It!! lol!!

Again, great video!!
natvbearhntr
500 Club

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:55 pm

How big do you think the bear were that climbed your stand? This guy might have been 140lbs.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:49 am

natvbearhntr wrote:How big do you think the bear were that climbed your stand? This guy might have been 140lbs.

Bear #1- 175lbs dressed. It was my 1st year bear hunting. I was 14 or 15 years old and I was by myself being I told dad I can handle this and he don't need to come with me. 2 bear came racing In. They both stopped In front of my tree 5 yards or so. There was a tree In front of me that leaned against the tree right below my stand. The smaller one decided to crawl up that leaning tree to see what I was. I got a tad nervous!! :D He got with In 4 feet of me and put It In reverse and went back down. He then went to the bait and I hit him good. Every time I look at this bear on the wall (I had a rug done) I think of my 1st ever encounter hunting bear. The other one I have no Idea where he went or what he did after the 1st one crawled back down the tree. :lol: The other one was a good sized bear. He looked to be at least 6 Inches taller then the other when they were walking/running side by side coming to the bait.

Bear #2- I was 10 feet up In the tree. The tree forked/yed one foot off the ground. The bear stood In the Y and was one foot below me. 8 foot bear we figured. I'm guessing he was In that 400lb range dressed. He crawled the tree 4 times that evening. I was In a huge basswood tree. He crawled the back of the tree twice and I couldn't see him on the other side of the tree. All I could hear was his claws digging Into the bark. My 13 year old brother was In the tree with me being he wanted to watch me shoot a bear. He was sitting In a seat with his feet on the stand. He swears to this day that the bear smelled his pant's leg being he felt his pants leg press Into his leg lightly. My brother was shaking like a leaf. His seat was creaking, that's no lie as I heard It. I had my hand on his upper leg trying to calm him when the bear was up the tree behind us. Finally when the bear decided he had enough of climbing he went to the bait and gave me a great shot at 10 yards. That's when my nerves kicked In unfortunately. As soon as I released the arrow I dropped my bow arm down to see where the arrow went. Well the arrow dropped 6 Inches below where I was aiming and caught him In the front foot on the other side. It's the one and only bear I've wounded In 23 years.

Bear #3- 150lbs dressed. I had a friend come with me being he really wanted to see a bear. He came Into the bait and saw a blob up there and had to check us out. He got with In a couple feet or so I'd say. He crawled back down on his own and went to the bait and I put a good shot on him. My buddy was shiting his pants. :D

Bear #4- 135lbs dressed. I was 15 feet up at least In a pine tree. She (dry sow) crawled 3/4ths the way up. I didn't know If I was going to shoot her or not at the time If she gave me a good shot at the bait. She crawled back down and gave me a perfect shot, I couldn't resist. :mrgreen:
natvbearhntr
500 Club

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:17 am

lmao those are great stories. I think if I were your brother I may have had to react a little to a bear on my pants leg! Thanks for sharing.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:18 am

I've never bear hunted, but your stories put me there. Too funny! My stand would have been squeaking too! Thanks for sharing guys!
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”