Observations

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boo
500 Club

Observations

Unread postby Boo » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:09 pm

While baiting this year I made some observations that I am wondering if anyone else has seen the same.
I put one bait out the first weekend that baiting opened and had lots of pictures including daytime activity after the first week. I rebaited and checked the bait another week later and almost all of the activity occured during the night or early morning (dark).
The other two baits I put out were placed only one week before the season opened. On both of these baits I again had both daytime and nightime activity.

On all three baits I had bears hit August 29th, 30th and 31st almost exactly at 1:00pm. After looking at the moon guide the moontimes were right around 11:30am to 1:11pm.

Has anyone else seen bears hit baits a lot during daylight the first week and then go more into a nightime feeding pattern once they know the bait is there and going to be there? And has anyone observed daylight activity at baits directly related to the moon times?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Observations

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:18 pm

I saw hits in Minnesota that were pretty consistent with the moon guide... We saw hits all day and night randomly, but certainly peak hits at moon times...
As far as the baits slowing down after the initial finding of them, I see patterns of that too, it seems like all the bears in the area find and start hitting the bait right away, but after about 2 weeks a boar or two, or even an aggressive sow take the bait over and the smaller or less aggressive bears have to sneak in and grab and run...

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”