Need Some Advice......Schultzy You Out There?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Need Some Advice......Schultzy You Out There?

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:12 pm

Been baiting like a SOB the last few months.......down to (3) baits all being hit with real nice bears....some are monsters in legal shooting light.

But the below pictures have me stumped......what do you think. Yes, all (3) show the same bear (I have quite a bit more pictures but this is all on the current computer I'm on).

Is it a big sow?

Here is a family baiting day couple weeks back.......wife taking the picture. (not the same bait as the one above)
Hard to see but my son (he tags along on all trips) has an old fixed blade knife I gave him on a belt flung over his shoulder. He thinks he is turtle man. Ha Ha.

Couple weeks back he had a big black water snake cornered in the water on shore, the thing was coiled up and springing out at him while he is trying to grab it.......the whole while yelling out "turtle man live action....whooo whooo whooo". The kid is nuts. :roll: 8-)

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Need Some Advice......Schultzy You Out There?

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:49 pm

Cool picks... The bear in question appears to be a large sow to me... Schultzy is already up at bear camp. I don't think he will be on for a while.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:06 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:But the below pictures have me stumped......what do you think. Yes, all (3) show the same bear (I have quite a bit more pictures but this is all on the current computer I'm on).

Is it a big sow?

That middle pic looks like a sow. The top and bottom pic It's hard to say as I can't see It's head real good but the nose does look tapered like sow's generally do In the 1st pic. If you never would've said these were the same bear I would've said the top and bottom pic could be a good sized boar and the middle pic was a 130's sow. This Is a perfect example of how bear being posed at different angles can look big In one pic and look smaller In another.

Here is a family baiting day couple weeks back.......wife taking the picture. (not the same bait as the one above)
Hard to see but my son (he tags along on all trips) has an old fixed blade knife I gave him on a belt flung over his shoulder. He thinks he is turtle man. Ha Ha.

Couple weeks back he had a big black water snake cornered in the water on shore, the thing was coiled up and springing out at him while he is trying to grab it.......the whole while yelling out "turtle man live action....whooo whooo whooo". The kid is nuts. :roll: 8-)

Awesome!!! Taking after the old man he Is!! :handgestures-thumbup:

dan wrote: Schultzy is already up at bear camp. I don't think he will be on for a while.
Got back Sunday evening from baiting. Heading back Friday again and coming back Sunday again then back up either Thursday or Friday for the long run and hunt.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:17 pm

Thanks for the response guys.....i really believe it is a big sow.

The front shoulders are small and it has a bigger but. Obviously the head is not proportioned to its overall body size. In afew days will post other bear pics from the same bait.

I really think this sow is huge weight wise. Over 300 dressed......could be more......

After season is over will post pics at other baits. Dont want to jinx myself......never have seen so many good bears hitting baits during good shooting times. But things can change fast before sept 5th.....

I shut down baits with only 250 pounders (and smaller) coming in. Un real year for baiting.

One bait was about 90% taken over by wolf and deer. Really odd.....think the wolves ran the bear out but the deer kept coming in.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Those short fat sows can really fool a guy... I got one up in the Ashland area about 10 or 12 years
ago that I was convinced was a huge boar. It was in the 300 pound range, but when there short and fat they look bigger.

One bait was about 90% taken over by wolf and deer. Really odd.....think the wolves ran the bear out but the deer kept coming in.

I have had wolves take over baits in Minnesota and the bears just shut down on those baits...
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Nice pictures, sure makes time pass slowly waiting for season. Good to see you posting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:37 am

Tad,

Thanks for the kind words.

Good luck this season.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:41 am

dan wrote:Those short fat sows can really fool a guy... I got one up in the Ashland area about 10 or 12 years
ago that I was convinced was a huge boar. It was in the 300 pound range, but when there short and fat they look bigger.

I have had wolves take over baits in Minnesota and the bears just shut down on those baits...

The wolves chasing the bear away wasn't the surprise it was the deer still sticking around. One is/was an old decent buck. Real tough area to get to but may have to scope him out after bear season.

The wolves would pee all over in and around the bait.....would still get deer coming in to check things out but wouldn't eat anything (stick around to feed until at least (3) days after a wolf visit.)
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:04 am

The deer being there with all the wolf activity is surprising... Are you spraying baits with vanilla?
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:47 am

dan wrote:The deer being there with all the wolf activity is surprising... Are you spraying baits with vanilla?

No spray.

Kind of a smorsgisboard of items.......was some white frosting, buttercreme I believe. That probably has vannilla in it?

But there is nuts/seeds and berry items that the deer like too. Granola, dates, trail mix, and all sorts of other crap. I kind of try to feed them a wide assortment of items. Some items will still work good if/when it rains.

My Garage looks like a mini grocery store Ha Ha

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”