fear of bears. Can anyone give me some advice?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

fear of bears. Can anyone give me some advice?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Im not a big fan of any critter in the woods that can possibly do any harm to me. Like a bear, or a pack of wolves. Mostly bears. I really do not like coming across them in the woods. My fear began during a deer drive when I was 12 years old thru a wide ravine with fallen timber and thick bryars. I walked down the trunk of a fallen tree toward the roots which were sticking straight up just to make an easier path thru the thick brush. As I got to the roots, I didn't think twice to look before descending and before I let go and plant my feet to the ground, there was a black bear laying there staring up at me. I immediately pulled myself back on to the tree trunk and ran the out of there. Many of the guys in the camp didn't believe me. The year following, I killed a doe on opening morning of gun season. There was snow on the ground. I began gutting. i hearda noise behind me. Thinking it was another deer. i see two cubs climbing a tree and momma bear sitting there about 50 yards watching me gut the deer. Kinda strange to see these bears after a snow fall. I quickly pulled the deer out and the bears decided to have a feast on the entrails. Ever since, I been afraid of them things. I will honestly admit that. I won't walk the woods in the dark because of it. Anyone have any good tips, or stories on how to deal with them. I need to get over the fear sooner or later. Figured someone here can help me come to terms with it.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: fear of bears. Can anyone give me some advice?

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:16 pm

Lots of people fear bears, but few will admit it. For the most part, bears are a lot more worried about you, than you should be of them. Think about how many bears are in the woods and how many people get attacked... Its very seldom a bear attacks a human, and when it does happen it is usually mistaken identity, or the humans fault.
I hunt in bear country a lot, and run across them a lot. I have gotten out of trees with them still underneath me feeding.. They see you, or smell you, most of the time they take off.
If you see a black bear and its not running or its walking towards you, wave your hands over your head and yell at it... It will run. Do not run from it, animals instinctively chase what runs.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:32 pm

Thanks Dan. I have also hunted most of my life in some prime bear territory also. I come across alot of sign in the woods but never see them ever. I do get a little nervous when I do see tracks or scat left behind by bears. I lived most of my young life on a farm with hundreds of acres, and as kids we used to go play in the woods with the neighbor kids, play hide and seek in the corn fields at night. We would never worry about bears or wolves, or see any. Up until those first few years of hunting for me seeing bears up close like that in the woods I grew up in, its hard to get over it. Then they we would see them near our hay shed and the houses on a frequent basis the years following. The last 6 years, I have not seen any bear while hunting or scouting. That gives me some comfort, but I know they are still around. I just don't want to be caught off guard.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Fear of bears is common among lots of bear hunters. I went on a bear hunt 30 years ago. Another guy in camp was so afraid he absolutely wouldn't go out and hunt. He was a gun hunter too. I think once you get a few hunts under your belt you'll be ok.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:59 pm

The odds of ever getting attacked, even at night are astronomical. Maybe million to one? Just remember YOU are the dominant predator. Now in griz country or Africa you may be better off with a different philosophy :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:59 am

My fear of snakes started thee same as your fear of bears...from bad experiences when I was young.

I think when things happen to you when you arre younger they are ingrained into you and tough to shake.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:47 am

GRFox wrote:I think when things happen to you when you arre younger they are ingrained into you and tough to shake.

Very good point, things are magnified when we are younger and if its bad enough that can be a fear you can't shake.

I bump into a bear about once a year in my woods, probably many more that I don't even know about. I don't fear bears but I do get a shot of adrenalin when I do see one.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:43 am

Carry a side arm if allowed...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:01 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Carry a side arm if allowed...

I did last season, and I will be this season. Got searched by the DNR too last year. The warden was very suspicious at first, I told him I worry about the bears and cougar sightings in my area. He was ok with that, then told me it is ok to carry a sidearm in a holster, but if its concealed, a conceal and carry permit is required. I feel a little more secure with those laws that were put in place. One thing that does concern me is that if I have to unload on an attacking predator, I could be persecuted for poaching. I've read stories of this happening.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:08 am

Crazinamatese wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:Carry a side arm if allowed...

I did last season, and I will be this season. Got searched by the DNR too last year. The warden was very suspicious at first, I told him I worry about the bears and cougar sightings in my area. He was ok with that, then told me it is ok to carry a sidearm in a holster, but if its concealed, a conceal and carry permit is required. I feel a little more secure with those laws that were put in place. One thing that does concern me is that if I have to unload on an attacking predator, I could be persecuted for poaching. I've read stories of this happening.

1st off chances are very, very minoot anything would attack you.
If so then I would be more worried about my life then charges for poaching...
If the DNR is resonable (I'm sure they are) they wouldn't press charges for protecting your life
Just make sure the animal is within a resonable distance, say 8-10 yards, hopefully showing it wasn't a case of "just shooting" cause someone was scared...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:26 am

We were trained hardcore with this type of thing in the Army. Our rules of engagement against possible assailants in Iraq and the scrutiny of civilians being hurt or killed in the streets. Something had to be implemented called Show of force. Show your force, Shoot warning shot, kill if needed. I have thought about this and modified it a bit for hunting/camping/scouting. Show the animal what you are. If that doesn't work, fire a warning shot, not at the animal, but away from it toward the ground. If that doesn't convince, and the animal continues to approach, then shoot to injure or kill. It may sound like Im going overboard, but Im a firm believer to always have a plan for anything that can happen.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:19 am

Crazinamatese- I was deathly scared of dogs. I was bit 5 years in a row by dogs thats where my phobia began. I deal with bears on a weekly basis, starting as soon as they emerge from there dens in the Spring. I understand them, have great respect for them. Just like dogs, the more I am around them the more I get used to them. I am a firm believer in Bear Spray, I have a great sense of security when I have it strapped along my side while in the woods. I am definately scared of wolves, they are killing machines, thank God they are cautious of humans, so far. Try the Bear Spray, its nasty stuff. I would reccommend you spraying it a few times in short bursts to see what it can do, it sprays out like a fire extinguisher, stops a bear in its tracks. My bear clients always ask me why not carry a side arm? I tell them I have to be damn good to hit a object that is coming at me real fast, its unsafe for anyone (bear clients) to be with me in a situation like that and I do not want to explain to any law officer why I have a dead bear on my hands when I have no injuries on myself. Bears are very curious repetitious animals. That Sow with cubs you seen while gutting your deer, its been known especially out west for bears to follow up on a hunters shot to see if the hunter has a downed animal. That Sow was not there to harm you, she was there to feed, not so much on the guts, but the fresh feed inside the stomach.
If you spent one summer baiting bears, interacting with them (videoing) you would have a better understanding of them and I guarantee you, you would eventually again be walking in the woods in the dark lol.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:17 am

Nothing to be afraid of. The woods are the same in the dark as they are in the light!! You're not getting attacked by anything lol!!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:29 am

This might sound weird, but I really think there are two extremes... Some people have an irrational fear for bears, and some people have an unhealthy belief they are completely harmless. Somewhere in the middle lies the truth...
Bears should not be feared, but do need to be respected. Catching one by surprise, or cornering it can be unhealthy. Use common sense and you will be ok.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:13 am

dan wrote:This might sound weird, but I really think there are two extremes... Some people have an irrational fear for bears, and some people have an unhealthy belief they are completely harmless. Somewhere in the middle lies the truth...
Bears should not be feared, but do need to be respected. Catching one by surprise, or cornering it can be unhealthy. Use common sense and you will be ok.

Spot on.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”