Judging Bear Size

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rnmmhunter
Facebook: rnmmhunter@sbcglobal.net

Judging Bear Size

Unread postby rnmmhunter » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:33 pm

My son is going on his first bear hunt what is the best way to judge size in Wisconsin?

PLB
500 Club

Re: Judging Bear Size

Unread postby PLB » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:44 pm

All bears will look huge to a first time hunter. I would recommend trail cameras and study the pics closely. Look for a big head with small or short ears. Many big boars have a crease down their head. Look for a tall and long bear. Small bears come in early and usually act skittish at the bait, especially when their is a big one near. Sows are short in both height and length. Big bears often come right in like they own the bait, but usually scent check from downwind first. Big boars are solitary animals where small bears you might have multiple on the bait at once. Big bears like to come in just before or right at shooting hours so be patient! Don't shoot the first bear that comes in. Unless it's a no doubter. Watching multiple bears of different sizes is great experience. Hope this helps ya?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:45 pm

PLB is right on with judging a bear. I have only hunted bear once so I am far from an expert but just wanted to add something that helped me.

When I hunted bear my first time I was worried about being able to accurately judge as well. My guide at the time suggested laying a 5 foot stick next to the bait so I could more accurately judge the size. He said if the bear is longer than the 5 foot stick he is likely a shooter. Sounds simple but it did really help me. The first bear that showed up looked huge but he was probably only a 4 footer! Glad I didn't shoot since he was probably less than 150 lbs live weight. :shock: They are extremely hard to judge for a first time hunter. Watch some bear videos or something like that so you can learn to recognize the differences but like PLB said watch a few different bears from stand before shooting if you possible. That is the greatest learning experience of all.

Good luck to your son. 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:15 pm

I found this great article that may really help.......
http://www.huntingclub.com/magazine/art ... lack-bears

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:42 am

I'd say 80% of the veteran bear hunters out there haven't a clue on judging bear size. It seems everyone shoots a 300 pound bear these days. Trail cam pics are a to judge bear. Depending on the angle/how close or far away the pic Is taken they can shrink or grow 200lbs from one pic to the next. Just picture a black lab dog and compare the bear to that of a 80 pound lab when you see a bear up and close while hunting. It should give you an approximate.

Remember that the avg bear shot Is much smaller then most people think. I'd bet the avg bear shot dresses out at 130lbs.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:17 am

When the ears start looking to small for his head - shoot him.!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:40 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:When the ears start looking to small for his head - shoot him.!

very true!!
natvbearhntr
500 Club

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:14 am

Thanks for another tip. I seem to be losing the larger bear that have been coming to the bait.
rnmmhunter
Facebook: rnmmhunter@sbcglobal.net

Unread postby rnmmhunter » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:50 am

Trying to post a pic of the bears I got coming.How do I do that?

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”