Stink Is In the works

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Stink Is In the works

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:30 am

On May 9th I got all the goodies for bear baiting/hunting this year viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13136. I still need to get about 3000lbs of meat/fat scraps yet from my butcher. 2 days ago I started getting stink ready. I've said a few times on year that we make our own scent/attractant to bring the bear In the 1st time to our baits. We also use It almost every time we rebait In hopes to bring more bear In to the bait. A few times when we've hunted Iffy winds we will douse the tree were In while hunting In hopes It mask's our scent some and the bear's nose gets the best of them with this rotten stink. The stuff works awesome. Even after It down pours for hours or even days you can smell It when your with In 100 yards down wind of the bait walking In to check It. We usually use leftover fish carcasses from sunny's, northerns, crappies after we catch fish and clean them. The scraps go In the pail. What works the best though Is catfish and bullheads whole, not cleaned. They have some very strong acids I'm guessing. They desolve the bones much better and the stink to me Is twice as strong.

How I go about It Is get a 5 gallon pail and paint In black. Fill 1/4 full with water and pack It with fish to the top. Put a cover on It and set In the sun for at least a month. Hope for hot weather and lots of sun, It helps. When It's ready you will most likely puke the 1st time smelling It when you take the cover off. ;) Just a few of the bigger bones should be all that's left.

Anyhow I had a helping hand today. She caught 2 of them and netted 5 of mine. My daughter of mine Is just as pumped about bear baiting as I was when I was her age. I fricking love It!!! She's been bagging me to take her with cat fishing and today It finally worked out to where I could. These cats aren't just too big. Most were In that 1.5 to 2 pound range. One was close to 4 pounds. So far this year I/we have caught 19 catfish the last 3 days. Today we caught 10 cats. 5 per person Is the limit here In Minnesota. In the one pail I was able to fit 18 cats In there. The other pail still needs a bunch yet. Hopefully next time we get some bigger ones as I need to get this done In the next couple days. As usual I waited till the last minute. :mrgreen:

My fishing/bear hunting buddy!!

Lydia reeling In a cat.

Our fish for the day

Pails and such

We got back just In time. Damn hail!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Stink Is In the works

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:13 am

8-)
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:21 am

stink gravy :L: . im sure they can smell that for miles and miles
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:29 pm

Cool day in the boat for sure!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
natvbearhntr
500 Club

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Interesting but I don't think I could handle the smell, I have a weak stomach! lol. I was thinking of just putting some whole fish out there for smell...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:48 pm

Love the picture with your daughter fishing. My two girls were my best fishing buddy's when they were young.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:47 pm

That is disgusting. I know exactly what that smells like. When Old Uncle Harv was still alive he thought he could cultivate the perfect fertilizer for his garden in a 55 plastic gallon drum. Well nosey and 10 years old, I should have been warned of said trap behind the garage shed. He filled it over the fall and winter with table scraps and fish carcasses. Once he realized what he had done and he couldn't handle it, he left it there to sit, hoping the woods reclaim it somehow. Out of sight out of mind. That and he was pretty lazy.

Yeah, I found it. A stank slurry of vomitous proportions. It almost knocked me over. When I told them I found a barrell full of nasty something I got a but chewing from them like you wouldn't believe. I thought it was just another corn barrel for feeding the ducks and deer.

Hearing that this works for bear attractant is kind of funny though, they have plenty of bears by the old cabin.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:24 pm

Great thread Schultzy
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:28 am

That stuff must be good and ripe by now!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:34 am

Black Squirrel wrote:That stuff must be good and ripe by now!

My daughter and I just popped the cover off yesterday to check It and sir It up some more. 90% desolved I'd say In the one pail and about 70% done In the other pail. Should be ready by the baiting opener (August 17th).
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:52 am

Awesome pics and congrats on having such a good fishing/hunting buddy!

Best of luck to you guys. Hope you can get a bruiser out the first trip.

PS: You said prob puke the first time smelling that... for me:
1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, so on, so on. I cant stand the smell of fish when its good, let
alone spoiled in the hot sun ;)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:42 am

Cool stuff Shcultzy... With the every other year thing now, I am getting my fix this year hunting thru you... So you better post good adventures and pictures! :D
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:21 am

dan wrote:Cool stuff Shcultzy... With the every other year thing now, I am getting my fix this year hunting thru you... So you better post good adventures and pictures! :D

I feel slighted - and this is the way I find out out your bear needs after I pour my heart and soul into the NH bear season...
[glow=red]Your words are like tiny little knives![/glow]
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:14 am

dan wrote:Cool stuff Schultzy... With the every other year thing now, I am getting my fix this year hunting thru you... So you better post good adventures and pictures! :D
I'll do my best Dan!! I'm pretty curious on how the berry crop Is up where we hunt. It seems when natural food Isn't In abundance the bear aren't either. How was the berry's when you and Carol scouted the other weekend?

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”