Northern Wisconsin Outfitters Update

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike Foss
500 Club

Northern Wisconsin Outfitters Update

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:51 am

Just thought I would let you guys and gals know what going on in my neck of the woods. Most bait stations are up and running, its been so hot and buggy this year, I start baiting by 6:00 AM due to the heat and finish between 3:00 and 4:00. Bears are using the some what cool mornings to there advantage also, lots of morning activity and then again late afternoon. I hope not but if this heat continues during bear season I will have hunters on stand very early mornings.

In my scouting and travels this summer I have never seen so many bears, they are all over the place, there has not been one time that I didnt see a bear cross the road, tracks every where etc on each outing. This should be a good year for big bears, they came out of hibernation in great shape with extra fat. I cant wait.

This year I have acquired up to 4000 extra acres of private land. It has taken much time scouting this property and placing new stand sites. Its not just one big chunk, there are some sections (640 acres) and one as small as 80 acres. The land owner says he has to many bears and boy was he right, one bait station I started already had 6 different bears coming to it and it was only baited 3 times. I think I have done a good job for this year but it will take a few years to narrow bait sites down.

Two weeks ago I spent 5 1/2 hours in the Emergency Room at the local Hospital, thought I broke my pelvis. Dumb mistake on my part, long story short, cutting a tree that had fell on a cabin and was laying on the roof on one of the properties I deer hunt on. Never use a chainsaw up on a ladder, cut the top of the tree off while on the ladder and the tree came back on me, smashed the ladder, knocked me off, bruising up and down my left side, strained groin muscles on my right. Know one new where I was, dragged myself back to the truck, drove 20 miles to my home called a friend to drive me to the Hospital. I am feeling much better.

One of my helpers had a run in with one of the biggest bears (600lbs) I have coming into one of my bear baits. They had a stare down for about 5 minutes, he was hoping he would move off the bait but didnt. I laughed when my helper was telling me the story. He said out loud to the big boar "well I guess I can come back another time"

natvbearhntr
500 Club

Re: Northern Wisconsin Outfitters Update

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:01 am

Hope you're feeling better from your accident and nice to hear you have so many active bait sites. Any pictures of the 600 pounder? I always worry about walking in on a bear when running bait and the camera has shown that I am pushing bear out as I am going in but I have never had a bear stay at the bait and refuse to leave. Do you carry any protection when running bait?
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:07 am

That run in was a few weeks ago, and it was breeding time for those big bears, they do get some what bold like those crazy whitetails some times, I figured that is why he didnt want to leave, there might of been a sow he was courting. I carry bear spray with me at all times.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:40 am

Nice report, glad your feeling better, can't wait for my hunt with NWO next year.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:28 am

Glad to hear your ok Mike... Be careful, we don't want to lose you! ;)
natvbearhntr
500 Club

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:06 am

I should buy some bear spray. Right now I carry my .44 but I'd hate to have to use it.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:53 am

Wow, that was a close call. Glad you are okay. Hope everything heals and is problem free!
camocat

Unread postby camocat » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:33 pm

Glad to hear your ok Mike.Is Woodtick showing himself?Saw first bear in wild other than the two i saw hunting with you last fall.That was yesterday at quarter to 12 he was was walking down a shaded logging trail pretty cool stuff man they can move that was here in northern waupaca county.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Had another youth hunter (12 year old) that will be bear hunting with me this year and his father came up and helped out for two days this past week. It was great to see the young hunters enthusiasm while baiting etc. I am almost back to normal, body is still sore at times. This heat is taking its tole on me, I find my leg muscles cramping up on me often. Anyone know what a guy should take for cramping muscles. Tuesday a friend and I finished hanging meat locker brackets in my garage, it will be nice to hang the bears this year instead of laying them on pallets, will be able to hang 8 bears at one time, I also had a special stainless steel table made for skinning and butchering, no more hanging and skinning. I hired a welder to make special bait bucket racks for my ATV, sick and tired of spending good money on those cheap flimsy racks that only brake after one years use.

Thanks to a hunter for the bear tag donation (act 59) this year I have a 13 year old young man that is paralyzed from the waist down going on his first bear hunt. I have not talked to him personally yet but I hear he is very excited. Will be exciting hunting from a ground blind.

Mike
Last edited by Mike Foss on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:30 pm

Anyone know what a guy should take for cramping muscles

How can muscle cramps be prevented?

Activity: Authorities recommend stretching before and after exercise or sports, along with an adequate warm-up and cooldown, to prevent cramps that are caused by vigorous physical activity. Good hydration before, during, and after the activity is important, especially if the duration exceeds one hour, and replacement of lost electrolytes (especially sodium and potassium, which are major components of perspiration) can also be helpful. Excessive fatigue, especially in warm weather, should be avoided.

How much should I drink?

Hydration guidelines should be individualized for each person. The goal is to prevent excessive weight loss (>2% of body weight). You should weigh yourself before and after exercise to see how much fluid you lose through sweat. One liter of water weighs 2.25 pounds. Depending on the amount of exercise, temperature and humidity, body weight, and other factors, you can lose anywhere from approximately .4 to 1.8 liters per hour.

Pre-exercise hydration (if needed):

1. 0.5 liters per hour for a 180-pound person several hours (three to four hours) prior to exercise. 2. Consuming beverages with sodium and/or small amounts of salted snacks or sodium-containing foods at meals will help to stimulate thirst and retain the consumed fluids.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”