2012 WI Black Bear tag drawing results

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

2012 WI Black Bear tag drawing results

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:25 am

The 2012 Class A bear drawing is complete. Notices to successful applicants will be mailed today, February 14th. Applicants may check their drawing or preference point status on-line by accessing their DNR Customer account, calling DNR's Call Center at 1-888-936-7463 (toll-free, 7 days a week, 7am-10pm), or visiting a DNR Service Center. Drawing winners may purchase their Class A bear license beginning March 7, 2012.

There were 104,391 Class A Bear license applications this year. Of the 104,391 applicants, 26,794 requested a license and 77,597 requested a preference point only.

A total of 9,015 customers were successful in this year's bear drawing. The minimum number of preference points required to draw a license were:

Zone A - 1,197 people with 6 points who wanted a kill tag were awarded a license and 35 with 6 points who wanted a license were NOT awarded a license. Everyone with 7 points or more got a license in Zone A.

Zone B - 378 people with 9 points who wanted a kill tag were awarded a license and 534 with 9 points who wanted a license were NOT awarded a license. Everyone with 10 points or more got a license in Zone B.

Zone C - 524 people with 4 points who wanted a kill tag were awarded a license and 910 with 4 points who wanted a license were NOT awarded a license. Everyone with 5 points or more got a license in Zone C.

Zone D - 667 people with 8 points who wanted a kill tag were awarded a license and 527 with 8 points who wanted a license were NOT awarded a license. Everyone with 9 points or more got a license in Zone D.

Total Licenses drawn by Zone: Zone A - 3,425; Zone B - 1,335; Zone C - 2,970; and Zone D - 1,285.

Read more about the 2012 bear quotas and harvest permit levels: http://dnr.wi.gov/news/DNRNews_article_ ... sp?id=2025 .

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: 2012 WI Black Bear tag drawing results

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:44 am

Yeeeeeee ahhhhhhhh and Oh crap all together. :shock:

I got one.

Problem is I may be in Louisiana from March to Sept. Pre-baiting is going to be a problem. :?
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:10 am

Congrats on the bear tag Hodag!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:23 am

9-10 points for zones B and D! :shock:

Looks like I might have 4 more years to go. Don't know if I want to wait that long. May have to head up to Canada before then.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:22 am

I must be one of the lucky ones then. When I looked online I only had 7 points and then I drew a tag for Zone D. Shhhhhhhhhh dont tell anyone lol.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:04 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:Congrats on the bear tag Hodag!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Thanks. Long wait, last WI kill tag was 2002 season.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Man I thought it only took 5 or 6 years to get a tag, I still have 5 more years to go or so :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
chadhaucke

Unread postby chadhaucke » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:03 pm

I got one also for zone d. Mike would you consider running baits that have already been started up by corny. We want to start our own but we might look for someone to run them up until the week before the season starts. There is going to be two of us. Just curious if you would b interested in this?
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:58 pm

chadhaucke wrote:I got one also for zone d. Mike would you consider running baits that have already been started up by corny. We want to start our own but we might look for someone to run them up until the week before the season starts. There is going to be two of us. Just curious if you would b interested in this?

Lets Talk... call me, if im not around leave your contact number and a message. Sounds like it could be fun....here is my land line business number 715-373-0344
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:10 am

Brad Lamont wrote:Man I thought it only took 5 or 6 years to get a tag, I still have 5 more years to go or so :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
I could never wait that long. I can see why Dan and a few others from Wisconsin venture over to Minnesota to bear hunt. Congratulation's to everyone who was successful In the drawing!
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:32 am

Schultzy wrote:
Brad Lamont wrote:Man I thought it only took 5 or 6 years to get a tag, I still have 5 more years to go or so :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
I could never wait that long. I can see why Dan and a few others from Wisconsin venture over to Minnesota to bear hunt. Congratulation's to everyone who was successful In the drawing!

Yes, it takes a while in WI. I will still put out test baits thru out the years without a tag trying to keep tabs on certain bear. It helps the bear fix.......just can't shoot one.

My last hunt was in 2005 in Ontario with my then girlfriend (now wife) and we both shot bear, her first. The camp was pretty reasonable when the American dollar exchange rate was on our side.......they charged $480.00 American money for the pre baited locations and a weeks stay at his cabins, plus the tag. Now I think it's around $650? Still pretty reasonable and more cost effective than if I chose to run to MN to bait and hunt.

We know the owner pretty well and he would give us choices of a mess of pre-baited areas. Then you are on your own with hanging stands, keeping spots baited and getting to and from when hunting. I even relocated a few baits to what I thought where better "ambush" locations and he didn't mind. That last year my wife and I were the only bear hunters in camp our week to shoot bear. Not that is a bad location just most guys were fisherman first and bear hunters second......they thought it would be easy.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:30 am

Lets see a picture of your wife with her bear!! I enjoy seeing bear photo's of women with their bear. Quite the accomplishment as most men are afraid to hunt these things.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:34 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:
Schultzy wrote:

Yes, it takes a while in WI. I will still put out test baits thru out the years without a tag trying to keep tabs on certain bear. It helps the bear fix.......just can't shoot one.

My last hunt was in 2005 in Ontario with my then girlfriend (now wife) and we both shot bear, her first. The camp was pretty reasonable when the American dollar exchange rate was on our side[glow=red].......they charged $480.00 American money for the pre baited locations and a weeks stay at his cabins, plus the tag. Now I think it's around $650?[/glow] Still pretty reasonable and more cost effective than if I chose to run to MN to bait and hunt.

We know the owner pretty well and he would give us choices of a mess of pre-baited areas. Then you are on your own with hanging stands, keeping spots baited and getting to and from when hunting. I even relocated a few baits to what I thought where better "ambush" locations and he didn't mind. That last year my wife and I were the only bear hunters in camp our week to shoot bear. Not that is a bad location just most guys were fisherman first and bear hunters second......they thought it would be easy.

Wow!! :shock: That sounds like a great price for an Ontario bear hunt!! Almost every one I checked out was $1500+

If you don't mind sharing I'm sure plenty of us guys would be interested in more info on this outfitter. I'm sure he wouldn't mind the extra business either. ;)
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:50 am

Looks like Dennis finally retired......

http://www.winteringlakeresort.com/

Will have to see what the new owners rates are. My old man and his group were just there last year bear hunting and the original owner thought he might stick around the next year (2012). Maybe he will still be there just not as a owner?

Will put a picture of the wifes bear up. Don't have one on this computer.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:03 am

Thanks Hodag! :)

I will check it out for next year since my vacation is already tied up for this season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”