Just over 9000 bear permits for WI 2012 season

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Just over 9000 bear permits for WI 2012 season

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:11 pm

MADISON – A little more than 9,000 bear harvest permits will be available for the 2012 black bear season, about the same number of permits as last year.

The Natural Resources Board approved offering 9,015 harvest permits at their Jan. 25 meeting; a number nearly identical to the 2011 permit offering of 9,005, according to Kevin Wallenfang, Department of Natural Resources big game ecologist.

A bear population study completed in 2008 estimated a Wisconsin bear population of at least 22,000. State biologists set the recommended 2012 harvest goal at 4,600 bears.

“I think the state’s bear hunters will be pretty happy with the prospects for 2012 and the generous number of permits to be issued,” says Wallenfang. “Hunter application numbers increased yet again this year as interest in bear hunting continues to grow.”

The annual drawing for black bear harvest permits is expected to take place soon and successful permit applicants should receive notification by mail in late February.

Approximately 27,000 hunters have applied for the 9,015 permits available for the 2012 season. An additional 77,598 applied for a preference point only.

“We would like to accommodate as many hunters as we can while keeping this a quality, memorable hunting experience,” said Wallenfang, “But this is something we must approach responsibly and not over-hunt until we have another year of research under our belts. We need to verify earlier findings and evaluate bear population goals. Until then, we will take a cautious approach issuing permits at a level we feel will maintain the population at current levels.”

A repeat of the 2008 mark-recapture population study began in spring 2011. Bears were “marked” when baits with tetracycline were placed in prime bear range. Tetracycline is a harmless antibiotic that deposits a marker in bones when consumed. To fulfill the “recapture” part of the study, successful bear hunters must submit one pre-molar tooth and a two-inch piece of rib from the bear they harvest. The samples are analyzed for the presence of tetracycline. The success of the population study relies on the bear tooth and rib samples submitted by hunters.

Wisconsin’s preliminary 2011 black bear harvest total stands at 4,246. This number is expected to change only slightly in coming weeks as harvest data are fully entered and verified. Black bear harvests averaged roughly 3,000 from 1998 through 2008 when quotas were based on a lower estimated bear population. In 2009, harvest increased to more than 4,000 bears when permit levels increased 57 percent. Permit levels in 2010 increased an additional 22 percent, while permits levels in 2011 remained about the same as in 2010.

Applicants currently need to have collected between four and nine preference points in order to successfully draw a bear harvest permit. Hunters can check their preference point status in one of three ways: by visiting the Online Licensing Center, by calling Customer Service & Licensing toll-free at 1-888-WDNRINFo (1-888-936-7463), or by contacting a local DNR Service Center.

The permit breakdown by zone for 2012 is as follows: Zone A – 3,425 permits; Zone B – 1,335 permits: Zone C – 2,970 permits; and Zone D – 1,285 permits. The 2012 bear hunting season runs Sept. 5 through Oct. 9.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Kevin Wallenfang – (608) 261-7589

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Schultzy
500 Club

Re: Just over 9000 bear permits for WI 2012 season

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:52 pm

I thought I had read some where else that the WI DNR was giving less permits out. I can't remember where I read that but the WI hunters were POed! Do you WI hunters think they should give more permits out? From what I hear the bear population In WI Is quite well and higher then usual.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:56 pm

Good luck to the WI bear hunters hoping to get drawn this year. I also am curious as to whether that is a good number of permits versus the actual bear population.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:26 am

They are giving out 10 more tags than last year. Zone C is the only Zone with an increase. The "Goal" is set at 4600, down from the goal set last year. What does this mean? They "Wisconsin" are playing it safe, until they have a better understanding of the bear population and where its at, they dont want to over hunt it. I am happy they are giving out about the same amount of tags as last year, its better than first reported. I support them in this decision :clap: . They went by the harvest totals last year, just because it was down from the year before there can be so many factors and reasons why it was down. I believe and contrary to what you have heard, the bear population is super strong and there are more bears out there than estimated.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:46 am

The bear population in most of the north is extremely high! In a 2 mile stretch of Hwy north of Rice lake last year, there were 4 fresh car bear kills and one deer, just to give you an idea of numbers. My opinion is the far north where I deer hunt has way too many bear and they, along with wolves are taking many fawns and need to be better controlled.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:24 am

Mike Foss wrote: I believe and contrary to what you have heard, the bear population is super strong and there are more bears out there than estimated.

Agree 100%.

The current study being conducted may have faulty info because of the late spring in 2011. A lot of good test bait sites weren't hit for numerous reasons. This I'm worried will give the Madison folks reason to reduce tag numbers in the years to come.

See this post for more info....

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=11747&p=136559&hilit=bear+spring+late&sid=8ba49f38fe3450834bbf45b87af4d0d6#p136559
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:11 am

I would rather have them play on the safe side until they have a good understanding on the population instead of increasing tags over and over. If I have to wait a few more years until my next tag I am completely fine with that. Last thing I want to see is a overharvest like they created with the deer herd in many areas.

WI Bear Hunting is currently a high quality hunt and one of the best managed in the country. I would like to see it stay that way in the future.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:26 am

Please don't misunderstand my next few statements as I believe we still have quality bears in WI but the quantity is becoming too high to sustain that quality. In years to come it will become more difficult to find quality bear but relativly easy to find "little" ones.

Right now it's almost too easy for any old joe to shoot a bear when a tag is drawn.....lets put a little more challange back into it and maybe less guys will apply.

Call it being selfish, but to wait that long for a tag we should have a legit shot at "good" bears if a guys puts his time in. I qualify a good bear as 250 plus dressed.

I've read where the average bear shot in WI weighs less than 150lbs......somewhere around 130-140 lbs.

My findings are the bear population is growing large......maybe too large for the carrying capicity to allow most bear to reach their full potential. I can assure you the areas I fequent do not have a shortage of bear.

Where do you see our bear are some of the best managed in the country? Not that our state (WI) is poor but far from as good as it could be for quality.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:20 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Please don't misunderstand my next few statements as I believe we still have quality bears in WI but the quantity is becoming too high to sustain that quality. In years to come it will become more difficult to find quality bear but relativly easy to find "little" ones.

Right now it's almost too easy for any old joe to shoot a bear when a tag is drawn.....lets put a little more challange back into it and maybe less guys will apply.

Call it being selfish, but to wait that long for a tag we should have a legit shot at "good" bears if a guys puts his time in. I qualify a good bear as 250 plus dressed.

I've read where the average bear shot in WI weighs less than 150lbs......somewhere around 130-140 lbs.

My findings are the bear population is growing large......maybe too large for the carrying capicity to allow most bear to reach their full potential. I can assure you the areas I fequent do not have a shortage of bear.

Where do you see our bear are some of the best managed in the country? Not that our state (WI) is poor but far from as good as it could be for quality.

I forget where I read this but pretty sure it was one of the main hunting publications like Bowhunter magazine. They did a bear hunting review and WI was the top rated in the country for trophy bear and stated that it is one of the best managed in the country. Wish I could find that article but it was from a few years ago. I realize things have changed in the last few years.

I don't disagree with you that getting the population too high is not a good thing but it just seems to me they have no idea on how high the population really is. I realize that statement goes against that article about how well they are managed so you may have a point there.

As far as quality, I am shocked by the number of 400lb + bears killed in this state every year and they seem to be getting more numerous every year in all parts of the state. I do agree there are way too many small bear shot and it's probably no different than deer hunters killing mostly 1.5 year old bucks.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:41 am

Wisconsin has some outstanding bear!! Every P&Y newsletter I get I look at all the entries and Wisconsin rules the roost pretty much every time. I think the big reason for this Is less hunters In the woods. Minnesota also has some outstanding bear but we also have twice as many hunters I bet In the woods thus less big bear are shot.

As far as getting an accurate estimation on the population of bear, pretty much Impossible to do IMO.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:42 am

Schultzy wrote:Wisconsin has some outstanding bear!! Every P&Y newsletter I get I look at all the entries and Wisconsin rules the roost pretty much every time. I think the big reason for this Is less hunters In the woods. Minnesota also has some outstanding bear but we also have twice as many hunters I bet In the woods thus less big bear are shot.

As far as getting an accurate estimation on the population of bear, pretty much Impossible to do IMO.

MN and WI give out about the same number of tags...

MN=9500
WI=8910

Applicants for tags
MN=18,647
WI=27,793 (this is not totally true as this is the number of guys that checked for a kill tag) Guys that just checked for a preference point is over 100,000 hunters)

So, we in WI have a pile more hunters applying for roughly the same number of permits as MN. Which if it's true WI shoots larger bear than MN would go against my theory.

But two glaring difference I can think of off the top of my head. WI's biggest bear have mostly.....not all but for the most part come from areas with some agruculture land nearby. Correct me if I'm wrong but in MN bear areas is there ag land? I think very little but could be wrong. Oneida, Vilas, Forest, Florence, Lincoln have little ag land and few whopper bear come from these counties. These counties encompase area "B".

Price, Ashland, Bayfield, Douglas Sawyer, Iron counties have some ag land.....not a lot but considerably more than the previous counties listed in WI. These counties are A and D.

Area C (central/southern WI) has some whopper shot but has more ag land and even less of a denning season. Bear can grow larger faster......less years to hit the whopper weight of 400lbs.

The other glaring point between WI and MN is the use of dogs. MN does not allow and WI does.....only stands to reason more bear are shot (WI success rate 58% while MN is around 29% for total kill vs tags given out. Either method of harvest for WI.)

What do you think?
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:20 pm

MN and WI give out about the same number of tags...

MN=9500
WI=8910
Mn sold 9689 Licenses. Another 779 more hunters In the woods then Wisconsin. Could Minnesota's bear hunters be cramped up more In a smaller area? I'm not sure, just throwing stuff out there. Mn has no quota zones but the majority of the hunters are In the quota area's.

Area C (central/southern WI) has some whopper shot but has more ag land and even less of a denning season. Bear can grow larger faster......less years to hit the whopper weight of 400lbs.
The Hinkley area In Minnesota has some ag land and oaks. Bear there are big bodied because of the food but lack the head size compared to body weight cause their still young yet.

The other glaring point between WI and MN is the use of dogs. MN does not allow and WI does.....only stands to reason more bear are shot (WI success rate 58% while MN is around 29% for total kill vs tags given out. Either method of harvest for WI.)

What do you think?
I bet this also makes bear hunting over bait a tad easier In Wisconsin being there's not the big competition amongst baiters (less baiters) being some of the bear hunters are dog runners. Good Info Jason, thanks!!! No doubt there's a reason why Wisconsin has better success rates. Figuring out why Is the question. I'm still going to say It's gotta be hunting pressure. Who knows I guess. Maybe Wisconsin has allot more bear then Mn has too.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”