Obstacles?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Obstacles?

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:48 am

Just wondering how many of you use obstacles when baiting... To keep big bears from circling downwind ? Seems tough to do in a lot of bear habitat... I have seen some do it with roads, but personally I don't like setting that close to a road. Lakes, rivers, and forest openings seem more
like good obstacles...
The theory is the bear won't circle, or will circle within shooting range of the hunter if there is a downwind obstacle or barrier he don't want to cross... Northern Wisconsin guide and friend "
Brad Kuhnert has been responsible for a lot of large boars getting killed over baits, and I was surprised when he told me almost none of them were shot on the bait... He said they are shot 30 to 70 yards downwind while circling... He said his biggest challenge is convincing the hunters not to hunt directly over the bait.

Schultzy
500 Club

Re: Obstacles?

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:12 am

Just wondering how many of you use obstacles when baiting... To keep big bears from circling downwind ? Seems tough to do in a lot of bear habitat... I have seen some do it with roads, but personally I don't like setting that close to a road. Lakes, rivers, and forest openings seem more
like good obstacles...
The theory is the bear won't circle, or will circle within shooting range of the hunter if there is a downwind obstacle or barrier he don't want to cross
You bet It's tough to do. 3 years ago a spot we've hunted for years got logged out (50 acres or so). Our old bait site got logged so we moved the bait across the clear cut to a different spot In the woods. It didn't work out very good with the wind direction that year although It got hit damn near every night after we hunted It or If we didn't hunt It at all he was In there during the light. He was a big bear too (300+). I then told my dad 2 years ago lets move the bait to a different side of the clearing and use the clearing as an obstacle. We baited about 50 yards from the clear cut. We knew that usually the bear always come from the north and west and we were on the north side of this clear cut. N, NW or west wind was the only winds that we would hunt this bait. 2 years In a row now It's paid off with P&Y bear being shot by my dad each year. The latest one scored 19 8/16 being we just had It officially scored. I can just about gaurantee the obstacle of the clear cut and also hunting the perfect wind helped shoot this bear.

Brad Kuhnert has been responsible for a lot of large boars getting killed over baits, and I was surprised when he told me almost none of them were shot on the bait... He said they are shot 30 to 70 yards downwind while circling... He said his biggest challenge is convincing the hunters not to hunt directly over the bait.
Every year I say I'm going to do this and never do It.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat May 01, 2010 11:09 am

I like using beaver ponds as places to locate bear and also to use as a potential obstacle.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:02 am

The last bear I shot, 2 seasons ago, was shot using a clear cut as an "obstacle" and it kept the bears from circling.
natvbearhntr
500 Club

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:50 pm

I like the idea of using a pond. There are a few areas I have access to that I think this would work. Another thought I was having was a burrowed ground blind. Say 3 to 4 feet dug out and then reinforce the top enough to carry a lit load of dirt and brush? You would have the view you would have from a stand but I think it would cover your scent a lot more.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:52 am

This aerial shows a good set up using an obstacle that has produced a couple bears for me. The red dot is the stand. To the East is open logged land that has grown into a raspberry tangle. To the West is great bear bedding and low land wooded swamp. With a west or close to west wind, the bear would have to circle out into the wide open to wind me. To get to the stand I never walk near the bait. The pink dot is where I park the truck along an old logging trail. Yellow arrow/line is my access...

Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:10 am

Great post Dan! I'll find a few of our set ups using obstacles and post them on here.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:35 am

Schultzy wrote:Great post Dan! I'll find a few of our set ups using obstacles and post them on here.

That would be awesome. 8-)
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:02 pm

In all of the pics below the red circle Is our stand/bait sites. Walk In trails are In yellow.

In 2008 I told my dad lets use these clear cuts to our advantage and bait off of them. Man has It paid dividends at this bait. 3 P&Y bear have been shot here In the last 5 years. One of my favorite baits. Bedding area to the north. North, NW, W, winds are Ideal here. SW and NE have worked but can be touchy. South wind a no no.

Using the clear cut as an abstacle. To the east and north of stand Is a clear cut. Bear come from the SW here usually. Not 100% sure but I'm thinking the bear are bedding to the SW. Anything but a E or NE wind will work. North Is touchy but has worked.

Using the crick here as an obctacle. Big bedding area to the north and north west. This bait has went to heck because of cabins that have went up close to here. We no longer bait It but have shot a handful of bear here prior to the people moving In. It was hard to quit baiting here being this particular area has had some monster bear. One In particular was easily a booner. A NW, N, W, NE wind Is needed here.

New clear cut a few years ago. We use It to our advantage. Lots of people pressure here but we usually prevail over them with our set up. Bear come from the north. Bedding area to the north. We need a N, NE, E, wind here to hunt. North usually comes through for us.

This bait here Is almost a guarantee every year. HUGE bedding area to the NE. Many bear will visit this bait. Again were using a 15 year old clear cut to our advantage. There's at least 5 other baits to the east of us here with In 1 1/2 miles. Lots of hunting pressure but most years we prevail at this spot. We need a NE, E, SE, wind. Sometimes these wind directions are tough to get but we hold out for them winds only.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:09 am

Nice... Looks like some great spots!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:52 am

Getting excited about bear hunting Dan this year? I know I won't get drawn but making that post last night got me way excited!!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:10 pm

Yep... Im looking forward to it. How far is your camp from Superior national forest? Maybe we can hook up one day?
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:53 pm

Very interesting information.

Going to have conversation with my guide for this september in northern wisconsin.

First I might look at an aerial of hunting land and just get an idea and see if I can implement the concept of "obstacles" without telling the guide what to do.

Then, if all makes sense where I hunt, topographically ....I then might have conversation.

Good information.
RJR-007
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:44 am

dan wrote:Yep... Im looking forward to it. How far is your camp from Superior national forest? Maybe we can hook up one day?

2.75 hours to superior national forest.
djl

Unread postby djl » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:32 am

Great post. I had a good spot that got logged off. Now you have me thinking of using that to my advantage. :doh:

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”