Help with MN public land hunt

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

willy11674

Help with MN public land hunt

Unread postby willy11674 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:56 am

next fall i want to do a public land hunt in minnesota in the St. croix or Chengwatana state parks or any land in that part of the no-quota area. I had a terrible experience with a guide last year and would rather just do it mysself and if i don't have any bears coming in i'm not out 200 bucks. anyone live around there or know anything about the area that can point me in the right direction. maps, landowners, bar buddies etc? thanks

also would be interested in a spring hunt in manitoba or sask if anyone know a land owner up there willing to do a little baiting and i would do the rest.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Help with MN public land hunt

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:38 am

I think your better off in the quota areas unless you can find a good landowner. One of Carols friends was over talking to me about his hunts in the non-quota area and he did really well getting him and his friend each there two bear each limit every year for a few years. They did not hunt with bait, they set up on trails going to corn fields and payed the land owner a couple hundred bucks each... The land owner sold out to a higher bidder one year and they never went back. He is to old and out of shape to go back really, but he said the bars were great places to go hang out for lunch cause all the farmers wanted the bears gone and they would ask you to hunt there place.
I liked the no pressure or worries about public land and hunted the quota zone... Last year I put out 6 baits for me and chad and every one of them got pounded and big bears were hitting each... It was easy. But, there were a lot of guides, and the key was to really scouting well and picking remote locations.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:15 pm

next fall i want to do a public land hunt in minnesota in the St. croix or Chengwatana state parks or any land in that part of the no-quota area
When I was younger my dad hunted this area. There's tons of bears around, lots of oak tree's. Problem Is there's probably more people that hunt here then where I bear hunt (that's saying something too). lol! You may or may not have luck but the bear numbers are there. There's a no quota area I've always wanted to try but never have. It's up around Milaca Minnesota. I know there's bear there but the numbers aren't like they are farther north I'm sure. I could be wrong too, maybe there numbers are good. My bet Is there's hardly any hunting pressure here and there's crop land around too and also a bunch of oaks. Bear love oak tree's If your wondering. I've talked with a few locals from this area and they do see bear from time to time. If your Interested In this area make sure you look at the map on the Mn DNR website. The south side of 23 Is where the no quota area Is. The north side Is a quota area.
willy11674

Unread postby willy11674 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:56 pm

Thanks for the advise. I was looking at no quota areas so i could run some baits and if they didn't get hit i wouldn't be out 200 bucks. if they were getting hit i would bring as many friends as i had active baits to try there luck. i've never baited for bears before. i'm hoping mike gets in on this area with me and we can find a few "honey holes" for year after year bear hunts.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:15 am

willy11674 wrote:Thanks for the advise. I was looking at no quota areas so i could run some baits and if they didn't get hit i wouldn't be out 200 bucks. if they were getting hit i would bring as many friends as i had active baits to try there luck. i've never baited for bears before. i'm hoping mike gets in on this area with me and we can find a few "honey holes" for year after year bear hunts.

You have to buy a license to put bait out.... You can't put bait out without a license and then buy one if you score some activity.
As a matter of fact you have to register each bait and its location with the MDNR prior putting out any bait. You also have to post a sign at your bait with your license number.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:19 am

As a matter of fact you have to register each bait and its location with the MDNR prior putting out any bait. You also have to post a sign at your bait with your license number.
I think you can put your bait out 1st prior to registering It with the Mn DNR. You have 24 hours to do so. To be honest we put all of our baits out and when I get home from baiting the 1st weekend I get the atlas out and write the coordinates all down and send them In the next postal day. Some people have no Idea where their going to put their baits so I believe that's why you can put them out 1st before you register them. That's how I understood It anyway.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:40 am

Yes your correct Schultzy... But in 24 hours I rarely have much for significant hits.
I think you need a license to place baits though. ?
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:18 am

dan wrote:I think you need a license to place baits though. ?
Yep, they just changed this last year or the year before. I like the change too.
willy11674

Unread postby willy11674 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:51 am

Thanks for all the information guys. Man, there sure are a lot of rules. I guess i will be dropping the 200 bucks either way i go then, oh well, still way cheaper than a guided hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”