QUESTION 65 – Backup shooter

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Would you be in favor of allowing the use of a backup shooter while bear hunting?

Total votes: 0
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:12 pm

Wisconsin law change proposal

Currently, only the holder of a Class A bear harvest license can legally shoot at a bear. The proposed
legislation would expand the current privileges provided to those who hold a Class B bear license to allow
them to shoot and kill a bear that was first shot, but not killed, by the holder of a Class A bear license.
Proponents of the proposed legislation cite two primary reasons for allowing the concept of a backup
shooter. Having a backup shooter would assure that the bear is harvested in the quickest and most
humane manner possible. The second reason is safety. A wounded bear could have the ability to injure
hounds and hunters. The safety of all involved in the hunt and the humane dispatch of the animal are the
biggest and are the most important reasons for wanting a backup shooter.

The DNR has several concerns about the effect such a change in the law would have. From a law
enforcement perspective, wardens have concerns about the ability to determine if the bear was legally
harvested. The department feels that current common law already allows a person to protect themselves or
others from a potentially dangerous wounded wild animal.

Would you be in favor of allowing the use of a backup shooter while bear hunting?

65. YES _______ NO _______

Hilts

Re: QUESTION 65 – Backup shooter

Unread postby Hilts » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:35 am

I don't think anyone that has hunted with hounds would vote no on this one. And if you haven't hunted with hounds and experienced it, I don't think you should be voting on it one way or another.

It is purely for safety. The bear is going to get shot either way, this is just a safer way of doing it. The dnr's concern makes no sense. How would not allowing a back up gun help in determining it was taken legally? Someone could just as easily hand their gun over under the tree to have someone one else shoot the bear. Its a rule that only hurt those who are already doing things legally.

In most cases you have a number people and possibly kids, along with 1-6 dogs in close proximity to a bear. The majority of the bear hit the ground dead and there is no issue, but when they don't... Most that I have seen that don't fall out dead will come climbing down the tree. There is always foliage and under brush which can make the position of the shooter a poor one for a follow up shot. A backup off to the side limits this possibility.

Make the requirements such that you can only have 1 back-up gun if that will appease people. That is all that is needed.

I have yet to here a solid argument against it. I am interested to hear others opinions.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:44 am

I voted undecided but I'm leaning towards no. Reason being Is what If the person with the class A license missed (not knowing so) and then the class B shooter decides to take a shot at a running bear. Chances are he's going to wing It with It running. To me you might have more wounded bear running around then the previous way.
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:33 pm

In 15 years of running hounds on bear I have never seen anyone miss a bear. Your point may be valid for someone that brings a back-up shooter to sit over a bait though. Do you think that people would have a back-up with while sitting over baits?
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon May 03, 2010 11:32 am

Hilts I dont think my vote will count with Wisconsin, and I havent hunted over hounds, but I am totally for a backup shooter. I would hope it would be a guide or houndsman, but an experienced bear man/woman who knows what they are doing is good enough for me.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”