Rut Hunt - Aerial and Topo Help

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Rut Hunt - Aerial and Topo Help

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:28 am

Here is an aerial and a topo of a chunk of public land Im thinking about hunting next monday evening, tuesday, and wednesday morning. Anyone have any advice about where you would sit if it were you, and you have never set foot on the property?

I would access it from the alfalfa field on the southwest corner. The field just got cut and is basically stubble, so I dont think the deer are really feeding out there right now..

The boundaries on the topo dont match up exactly with the aerial boarders. The borders on the aerial photo are correct.

Edcyclopedia

Re: Rut Hunt - Aerial and Topo Help

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:46 am

I would start my focus just above the LIFE in wildlife...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:51 am

Cornfed, I suspect there will be a ton of pressure in the area since rifle opens this weekend? If it were me I would head to the thickest stuff you can find or get as far back as possilbe to find where the deer are escaping the pressure.

I would probably head into that big swamp to the north. Most rifle hunters I know will setup on the edges of the swamp so if you dive in there you might have some luck.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:03 am

headgear wrote:Cornfed, I suspect there will be a ton of pressure in the area since rifle opens this weekend? If it were me I would head to the thickest stuff you can find or get as far back as possilbe to find where the deer are escaping the pressure.

I would probably head into that big swamp to the north. Most rifle hunters I know will setup on the edges of the swamp so if you dive in there you might have some luck.

Yeah but Im not sure how much pressure this place really gets..I guess I will find out though. It is near my family's land, but I can guarantee you this place sees less pressure and activity than my family's land, which is why I was thinking about hunting here.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:10 am

Where are your access points?
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:28 am

Casper wrote:Where are your access points?

I would most likely be accessing from either the southwest corner or anywhere along the west side (those fields), because I assume that sees the least amount of people, but I can also access it from the furthest north peak, and the highway to the east.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:37 am

Yeah, get somewhere thick and hole up. Right where Ed mentioned jumped out at me as well but I'd bet dollars to pesos that someone else will have thought that as well.

Any knowledge of the actual ground terrain or make up?
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:42 am

I marked a few areas based solely on where I think deer would be running when carters army in orange is out pushing.

1 that little tip north of it could be a haven, anywhere in that little funnel could be good depending on wind. Looks marshy? Sit and wait.

2 Just a good looking spot that is a natrual funnel because of the water, deer will be running thru there i bet

3 another simple funnel based on the water and what's likely to be a thick area as deer are running willy nilly

4 you can sit that dry area between all the water and yet look up the marshy water area for deer poking along the water edge looking to cross.

of all of these spots i like location 1 area the best.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:02 am

These are the hunting spots I would concentrate on:

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:10 am

Check out the funnels near the (2) little lakes/ponds in the SE corner.

You have one right below the T in management and the other is right below the A in area. They meet west of the T also near the larger lakes wet edge.

These two north-south funnels are west of the "main road" and east of that access road I would expect some other hunters to use. Unless the deer plan on swiming they will be running between these two areas to get to a safe area.

These areas also look good because of the transition from the wetland of the larger lake just north of these (2) ponds.

The funnel spot the others pointed would be good without pressure.....I think with the field there making easy access the average guy will gravitate to that spot.

Good Luck
Last edited by Hodag Hunter on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:11 am

Thanks for the help.. Couuple questions (trying to learn here..)

Muddy- Spot #3 that you marked, what makes that a funnel?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:15 am

My success in those types of public pressured land has not come from the funnels on mature bucks. It has come from the edges of bedding cover and funnels in thick stuff close to bedding. Every now and then we see a pig run thru a woods, but not often, even in rut its on the edge of the thik and wet... If thats Wisconsin you will have hunters all over the place in the wood lots and funnels.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:20 am

cornfedkiller wrote:Thanks for the help.. Couuple questions (trying to learn here..)

Muddy- Spot #3 that you marked, what makes that a funnel?

It's not, I don't know why I called it that.

Take my information with a grain of salt because I have no idea what public ground in marshy areas is like. I just know that looking at an aerial those are the places I'd go if I knew people were driving deer around. Deer will avoid the open areas and gravitate towards the thickest stuff on that place. Regardless if you're hunting that for bow this week or gun this weekend that's what I look for when on the ground.

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:29 am

muddy wrote:It's not, I don't know why I called it that.

Take my information with a grain of salt because I have no idea what public ground in marshy areas is like. I just know that looking at an aerial those are the places I'd go if I knew people were driving deer around. Deer will avoid the open areas and gravitate towards the thickest stuff on that place. Regardless if you're hunting that for bow this week or gun this weekend that's what I look for when on the ground.

Gotcha..kinda the same idea as dan mentioned in his post above.. Makes sense..

Thanks guys
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:12 am

dan wrote:My success in those types of public pressured land has not come from the funnels on mature bucks. It has come from the edges of bedding cover and funnels in thick stuff close to bedding. Every now and then we see a pig run thru a woods, but not often, even in rut its on the edge of the thik and wet... If thats Wisconsin you will have hunters all over the place in the wood lots and funnels.

I agree with this post.

But did you see the access road running north and south in the topo and lightly shown on the aerial? Some of your spots are marked right on the road.

I have been wrong before and sure I'll be wrong again but would still pick the spots I chose......conclusion is utilizing the same mind set Dan wrote above.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”