2 rut stand options (aerial)

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

2 rut stand options (aerial)

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:55 am

Got a couple stands I won't be hunting until about the 22nd of october through the rut and gun season.

Wondering which access points you would use(marked in red)
Which Stands for which winds(white with red "X"'s)

The field is in Corn this year and is very tall corn, and is the highest point on the map for miles around

Yellow is the property line
Red are access points
White are stand sites
Brown/Green are what the deer generally travel on (sorry I'm color blind)
Blue indicates ridges and steep gullies

Stand #1 I placed because it will be the predominant downwind side of a big pine bedding area with underbrush reaching 6-7'. It also is on the high side of the gully so it funnels them along that east side. There are generally plenty of scrapes lining the edge of the field. My thought process is I will be on the downwind side of bedding, have a funnel, and can also cover one working scrapes along the edge.

Stand #2 is your basic inside corner which is also on the edge of a large revine to the north. Most of the deer here travel NE to SW and vice versa. I usually catch deer that come from the south side of the field, past the stand, and work their way up to the big pine bedding area by stand #1.

What do you guys think?? questions, concerns? I want all of them! thanks, Pat

When better is possible, good is never good enough
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Re: 2 rut stand options (aerial)

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:17 pm

c'mon gimme some love Beasts!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Maybe you need some help in person...I'm free mondays and tuesdays I have my own bow and stand, I'll split gas and even flip the bill for lunch once or twice :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: kidding kidding but I think it'd be easier, for me personally, to see a topo too.

Also, I don't understand the "inside corners" of fields talk? Aren't they all inside corners? what the heck would an outside corner look like?

You seem to be in a good spot but focusing all your energy on that one section seems like you leave a lot of uncovered ground. If thats a corn field of any size and any of the surrounding ground is good cover I would think they access it more?

A bigger pic that shows more of the surrounding ground may be helpful too?

And don't feel bad like you're getting no love I have posted quite a few maps on here that have gone completely ignored. It hurts at first but you get used to it. ;)
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:17 pm

I really don't like east directional approaches. If you are hunting these with an east wind that usually means rain is in the forecast. I do think your stand placement is good. I don't like the approach. If you are hunting with a west wind you'll be blowing scent into the big timber the whole way to the stand.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:36 am

I will post more later but here is a big perspective on the property

here is your inside corner and outside corner example.....deer generally prefer inside corners I believe because it is a transitional area and they can scent check a field without expending as much energy to the outside corner. Usually more cover as well

KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:34 am

Stand #1 looks like a good setup. You have the one-two punch of terrain pinch right up against doe bedding. I think another terrain pinch/doe bedding stand could be at the yellow dot where the inside corner meets the bedding. I don't hunt field edges, but I would think you would hunt Stand#1,#2, and the yellow dot stand with a NW wind and enter from the south access#2. If the corn is up just hop into the woods in your shooting lane and shoot them as they hit the lane. If the corn is down, wait until the field is clear and scoot over to your stand.
Stand #2 and the yellow dot stand could also be hunted on a SE wind and enter from Access #1.
Also I put a yellow dot at the hedgerow connecting the big blocks of timber as a possible cruizing route for bucks.

JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:00 am

JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:02 am

Down in approach 2 is the area to the right was that timbered where the trees have gaps in the area or just overgrown field around the trees?
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:00 am

I have a trail cam pic of a nice buck in your area. If you get me your email, I'll try to send it to you.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:16 am

I like Klemz hedgerow stand local... I would park it there with the right wind for multiple days = MEGA funnel

Is there a drainage ditch/low spot in the field running North to South? Where is it located (there should be one)

Your stand #2 also sounds dynamite but I would access from the South with or without corn
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:08 pm

JRM6868 wrote:Down in approach 2 is the area to the right was that timbered where the trees have gaps in the area or just overgrown field around the trees?

was not logged or anything...just kind of overgrown. That is also a highpoint where I've seen deer bed.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:19 pm

KLEMZ wrote:Stand #1 looks like a good setup. You have the one-two punch of terrain pinch right up against doe bedding. I think another terrain pinch/doe bedding stand could be at the yellow dot where the inside corner meets the bedding. I don't hunt field edges, but I would think you would hunt Stand#1,#2, and the yellow dot stand with a NW wind and enter from the south access#2. If the corn is up just hop into the woods in your shooting lane and shoot them as they hit the lane. If the corn is down, wait until the field is clear and scoot over to your stand.
Stand #2 and the yellow dot stand could also be hunted on a SE wind and enter from Access #1.
Also I put a yellow dot at the hedgerow connecting the big blocks of timber as a possible cruizing route for bucks.

Your hedgerow dot is a great idea and I have considered that option....My experience is that they dont normally cross in that exact spot because there is a real lack in ground cover because of the lay of the land. Also being right on the property line, I believe the neighbors have a stand slightly to the north on "their" inside corner....The neighbors are relation so I wouldn't want to have them thinking i'm imposing on that spot.

The other inside corner spot is a great area but is very think and hard to cover many trails....also that ridge runs past stand #2 so I'm not very concerned about it

Access point #2 is a tractor road, I have a stand on the south side of that opening to the west of it as well...I will post
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:24 pm

Red is my access on the farm road.
Blue is an old creek bed which has 2 prefered crossings because it has such steep banks
I marked the deer trails as best as I can remeber, my stand is the red "X"

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:28 pm

I should add that the crop field to the north is the highest point on the land....the area just north of my stand is an old overgrown orchard with no apple trees, it slopes gently south...lots of super tall brush/goldenrod. My stand is on a E/W running ridge which breaks pretty hard down to the creek bed. The stand is 20-some ft up
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:29 pm

mike_mc wrote:I have a trail cam pic of a nice buck in your area. If you get me your email, I'll try to send it to you.

PM sent

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”