Opener Option (aerial)

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Opener Option (aerial)

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:04 am

Hey guys, hopefully some of you are in the mood to give free advice. First of all I should say I have never stepped foot on this area, just driven by during the day and shined it a couple times, 2 hours after dark. The bean field to the south has a small bachelor group with a few decent 2.5/3.5 yo bucks working it I wouldn't mind taking, and i don't want to march around and scout this late and spook them out...The group seems to be working from east to west as indicated in red with west winds. My Plan is to enter from 1 of the 4 marked spots(blue) with the lone wolf, find sign, and follow it back towards a general bedding area and set-up. From the looks of it, the clumps of woods hold oak trees and the land is pretty flat. The field is right on a couple access points so i have a feeling they might be bedding behind the woods in the brush, or along the river to the east, or even the drainage ditch. The area is mostly just tall grass, not cattails. I will not be hunting until the second weekend of the season, so there is a good chance the woods will see a little opener pressure. I have many other scouted areas to hunt but I really want to kill one on a blind hunt.....what do you guys think? Let me have it

When better is possible, good is never good enough
headgear
500 Club

Re: Opener Option (aerial)

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:31 am

Sounds like a solid plan to me, the only thing I would be worried about is my scent blowing into the bedding area when you attempt to back track the bucks so you will have to be careful. Hunting the 2nd week of the season might have the bachelor group scattered or like you said pressure could cause a problem too but those are the challenges you face when hunting blind. Good luck.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:56 am

My thoughts are the beans will be browned out by then and their feeding pattern will have changed. JMO
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:04 pm

I think your right Stan....that is my biggest worry about the spot. Might shine here tomorrow or next week before the opener and see what happens....there is corn close by as well. So if i can relay their new feeding pattern back to some oaks or swamp maybe I'll start there
When better is possible, good is never good enough

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”