Rookie Food Plot / Slayer Seed

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowman

Rookie Food Plot / Slayer Seed

Unread postby Bowman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:23 am

I put my first food plot in on 08-07-11. I would love to say it was easy but it started this spring and I didn't get seed in the ground until yesterday. A broken disc (brand new) delayed the process as did wet weather early on. The 1/2 acre plot will be for my kids to hunt.

I sprayed Round Up on two separate occasions and took a soil sample. My soil test showed that allot of fertillizer and lime would be needed. I bought what my budget will allow and I will add more in the next few years to get my soil up to par. My buddy came out with his tractor and tilled it under for me a week before.

My boys came along to help. This was the first trip in.

We started by spreading the fertillizer.

Image]

Trenton disked it in!

I then cultipacked, spread the seed, and cultipaked again.

The blind was brushed in after this pic was taken.

The boys got a little bored while I was working. When I got home I found that they had played around with the camera. :mrgreen:

A seclusion cage was put up prior to leaving. It rained the first night and I was hoping the rain chances later that week would come true as well, but they didn't. No rain since but I am praying that the predicted rain for this weekend will pan out or the plot might fail. :(

The plot is a seed blend put together by Lance (DEERSLAYER) at Slayer Seed. It has a blend of brassicas, clover, and chicory. I'll take some photos as the season goes by and hopefully have some harvest photos with the kids. Allison and Trenton will be hunting youth season with their muzzleloader and Trenton plans to bowhunt this year and has been shooting everyday in preparation!

Thanks again Lance!

JRM6868
The Terminator

Re: Rookie Food Plot / Slayer Seed

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:56 am

Looks good can't wait to see the growth pics. Never leave kids with a camera and being bored. I get those type of pics all the time when I'm doing something and I leave my phone behind. Kids are the best! :lol: 8-)
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:13 am

Looks good! Now if mother nature would just help you out!! You get tons of rain this year until you plant and now nothing but sun. Go figure. :roll:

The mix has:
6 types of Clover
6 types of Brassica's
2 types of Small Burnett
2 types of Birdsfoot Trefoil (very small amount)
1 type of Chicory
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:06 pm

Any rain hitting the ground over there yet?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Bowman

Unread postby Bowman » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:38 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:Any rain hitting the ground over there yet?

Not a drop. :( I need an instructional DVD for a rain dance, if anybody has one. There is a chance of storms tonight (08-22-11) so I'll be praying that it hits the plot! I'll be checking it tomorrow.
Bowman

Unread postby Bowman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:55 pm

Once again the rain skirted central Iowa and we didn't get a drop of rain. I checked the plot today and expected nothing but I was surprised to see some growth, although if the rain keeps missing there might not be much to salvage. I had disked in some soy beans and in the super dry spots that was all that had popped through. The area infront of the blind looks the best.

Here is a view from the blind.....

The shaded spots seemed to have some clover popping up.....

The soy beans popping in the dry spots........
A view from the east.....

It's not the lush field that was planned when it was planted but considering the complete lack of rain, the Slayer Seed is doing better than I could have expected. Now, I'll be praying for rain!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”