2 acre destination food plot - fall focus

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

2 acre destination food plot - fall focus

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:21 pm

This whole 2 acre destination plot was made for right around $500 + time (lots of it). I had a farmer till it and that cost me $200, fertilizer was $100, seed was $100, gly phos (RoundUp was right around $50), + $20 hand spreader, + roughly $50 in fuel for wheeler on various trips

Should provide a couple of tons of high protein forage this fall/winter

What I started with.... waste high grass/weeds

First step was to mow and spray with gly phosphate (generic RoundUp)... I actually sprayed it twice, early June and then 2 weeks later

Next was to hire someone to till it up. It was cheaper then renting the equipment myself... killing everything with chemicals made this much easier for 6ft tiller behind small John Deer

Next I had to smooth everything out with a home made drag.... old bed spring + cinder block + piece board to balance wt. This part was actually fun! :D

Next was to walk back and forth with hand spreader to spread roughly 16lbs of radishes, rape, and turnips. This part was not so much fun :|

At this point it was all up to mother nature 8-) She has blessed me with plenty of rain and sun

Germination

Growth

Today :o

I spent lots of time reading on Outreach Outdoors (LickCreek is a wise man!)

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Brandon
500 Club

Re: 2 acre destination food plot - fall focus

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:34 pm

Great job Bucky

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
You can't kill em on the couch
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:21 pm

Is this your land, or land you lease/have permission to hunt?

Looks like you have a good plot there. Have you planted brassicas in the area before? I found it takes deer awhile to get a taste for them. Here in Mi, they dont hit them till just after the first of the year. Hmmm, thats when hunting season ends. :evil:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:28 pm

Nice work!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:32 pm

nice work bucky
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:35 pm

kenn1320 wrote:Is this your land, or land you lease/have permission to hunt?

Looks like you have a good plot there. Have you planted brassicas in the area before? I found it takes deer awhile to get a taste for them. Here in Mi, they dont hit them till just after the first of the year. Hmmm, thats when hunting season ends. :evil:

My buddy hunts close by... they started on his around Oct 15th last year and ate them to the dirt by Dec 15th. It was by far the hottest food source in the area around the peak of the rut... close second was a picked corn field

I put a Plot Watcher on the field... I will attempt to show you the results good or bad :geek:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:50 pm

Looks great Bucky, I think the hard work and $$ spent will pay off for you....I can see the big buck stepping out already!
When better is possible, good is never good enough
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:02 pm

My buddy hunts close by... they started on his around Oct 15th last year and ate them to the dirt by Dec 15th. It was by far the hottest food source in the area around the peak of the rut... close second was a picked corn field

Maybe its those fancy radishes? My dad asked me about them and when I told hm $60pr acre he wasn't excited anymore. :lol:

That's cool they are a mega draw in your area, good luck!
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:38 pm

How long did it take to till it up?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:00 am

Stanley wrote:How long did it take to till it up?

around 3hrs with 6ft tiller
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:32 am

Bucky wrote:
Stanley wrote:How long did it take to till it up?

around 3hrs with 6ft tiller

Thanks, I plow and disk and was wondering how long it would take with a tiller attachment. I wouldn't mind having a tiller for one pass ground break up.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:41 am

Thanks, I plow and disk and was wondering how long it would take with a tiller attachment. I wouldn't mind having a tiller for one pass ground break up.

You can get by without a tiller obviously, but when you use one, you will be hooked. My friend has one and we can go to his farm with the tiller/brushhog/york rake and go from what Bucky had in his first pic to a planted plot in 1 day. Bucky did it the best way in terms of killing the weeds first, but we typically just do a fall plot of oats (planted Sept 1)and don't seem to have issues with weeds.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:21 am

Love the Ho-made harrow :mrgreen:
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:31 am

kenn1320 wrote:

You can get by without a tiller obviously, but when you use one, you will be hooked. My friend has one and we can go to his farm with the tiller/brushhog/york rake and go from what Bucky had in his first pic to a planted plot in 1 day. Bucky did it the best way in terms of killing the weeds first, but we typically just do a fall plot of oats (planted Sept 1)and don't seem to have issues with weeds.

I've got 3-16 plow and 10 feet disk. I do like the tiller Idea.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:55 pm

Corn is heating up and looks like the deer want some salad to go along with it :D

Dinner Bell is ringing!

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh25 ... erBell.mp4

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”