2 acre destination food plot - fall focus

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kenn1320
500 Club

Re: 2 acre destination food plot - fall focus

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:17 pm

Hey I would be interested in reading a "review" from you on the plotwatcher. :D

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:28 pm

kenn1320 wrote:Hey I would be interested in reading a "review" from you on the plotwatcher. :D

More and more becoming my favorite scouting tool...

I can watch a week to ten days worth of video in a certain spot, watch where deer come from, where they move to, how long they linger and when they typically clear out. I will say after the first 8 day "soak" I'm seeing some pretty predictable patterns on this field... where the does come, where the bucks are popping out from and where they feed to (they seem to always gravitate towards those inside corners). Plus I can walk right down the middle of field to the camera swap the USB drive out and leave down the same path leaving no ground scent in any area that would be alarming to deer I'm hunting... + no flash and the info it is giving me is huntable (not night time). I plan to expand my use of these cameras

I will say it is pretty rewarding to see my summer project working as I thought it would... I really believe the location of plot relative to the road (secluded) and the screen all around it is making the deer feel extremely comfortable in this food plot. This camera is only catching 1/4 of the field... when they start pounding it hard around Oct 15th or so I will move the camera back to the far edge to see how many deer are utilizing the brassicas
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:46 pm

Bucky wrote:Corn is heating up and looks like the deer want some salad to go along with it :D

Dinner Bell is ringing!

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh25 ... erBell.mp4

sweet sounds good good luck my man 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:39 am

Some munchies from the plot.....

Come on COLD weather....
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:55 am

Man that looks like it turned out great!!! Glad to see you are getting the results you were after!!!
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:39 pm

Good job, would also like to hear any reports you have . You got just the turnips right. I hear they are better the colder it gets . If they last that long , you should have a late season honey hole.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:27 am

When did you plant Bucky? The deer browsed the heck out of my plot combined with a dry spell and my radishes and turnips never produced any "munchies". :evil:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:21 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:When did you plant Bucky? The deer browsed the heck out of my plot combined with a dry spell and my radishes and turnips never produced any "munchies". :evil:

Right around July 17th I believe.... did you fertilize? I put down 100lbs of urea and 100lbs of triple 17. The deer have eaten a lot of the tops...
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:41 am

I planted the 15th. My plot was a long narrow strip and it was too little of a plot for too many deer. Maybe 10ft wide and 300ft long? I put down 50lbs of urea off the suggestion you gave me. I also broadcasted rye grass in there after the browse pressure got out of control. We had a dry spell and none of it sprouted walking through the plot you can see the seeds laying in it. Major bummer. My utilization cage I put out AFTER the tops got hammered showed about twice as much growth as what is being browsed in just a couple dry weeks. I watched a doe feed in the plot for a half hour and she came by the next day and spent only a few mins. If that is her daily pattern it wouldn't take long for the plot to be mowed down to nothing. Next yr we are doing plots on a bigger scale.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:04 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:I planted the 15th. My plot was a long narrow strip and it was too little of a plot for too many deer. Maybe 10ft wide and 300ft long? I put down 50lbs of urea off the suggestion you gave me. I also broadcasted rye grass in there after the browse pressure got out of control. We had a dry spell and none of it sprouted walking through the plot you can see the seeds laying in it. Major bummer. My utilization cage I put out AFTER the tops got hammered showed about twice as much growth as what is being browsed in just a couple dry weeks. I watched a doe feed in the plot for a half hour and she came by the next day and spent only a few mins. If that is her daily pattern it wouldn't take long for the plot to be mowed down to nothing. Next yr we are doing plots on a bigger scale.

With rain this week your rye will still germinate and grow... I did the same thing ;) Pray for at least an 1" total the next few days

Yeah... if you could I would plant that huge field you showed... 1/2 turnips and rape and half clover, rye, peas... how big was that field? You will definetly have goodies into fall then!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:41 am

Field is just over 3 acres. My buddy who works at a seed company hooked me up with 60 pounds of a mix of beans, beans, brassicas, and other stuff its a replica of one of the high end brands they sell at big box stores like gander. Then he got me a few pounds of turnips and another "pasture mix" of grasses and brassicas. I am hoping to break a lot of ground on that field as well as other spots to feed the deer. Fingers crossed for rain.

I am jealous of your plots but happy for your success good luck man!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:24 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Field is just over 3 acres. My buddy who works at a seed company hooked me up with 60 pounds of a mix of beans, beans, brassicas, and other stuff its a replica of one of the high end brands they sell at big box stores like gander. Then he got me a few pounds of turnips and another "pasture mix" of grasses and brassicas. I am hoping to break a lot of ground on that field as well as other spots to feed the deer. Fingers crossed for rain.

I am jealous of your plots but happy for your success good luck man!

Broadcasted beans or do you access to a drill? I sowed purple top turnips into an inside corner of a cornfield as well (smaller plot) and it took off... don't know if those have bulbs though. With beans, once they start to yellow and dry you can go back through and broadcast turnips and rape...

I have found just killing the grass with glyphos (generic roundup) and mowing to a height of roughly six inches after the grass is dead... works just as well as tilling. Just broadcast rape and turnip at roughly 6-8lbs per acre and pray for rain. The cut grass works almost like mulch and retains moisture to help with germination... plus by not breaking the ground you do not allow the weed seed to get stirred to the top = less weeds (this you could do without access to big equipment)

If you get access to bigger equipment to till or disc ground, spread your fertilizer prior to discing to get it in the ground where the roots can utilize it :L:

www.outreachoutdoors.com has hours of reading and is where I go for food plotting help
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:23 am

Thanks for the help man. I did a ton of reading on QDMA and used the same approach as you did. My plot did awesome hardly any weeds was just too small. The mix he gave me has a bit of everything in it so going to be hard to seperate seed and drill some. Looks like everything will be broadcasted. My buddy is starting his own farming operation near our hunting land and for a friendly fee he's going to come break ground for us with his new plow. We have an old tractor and disc I can use from there. We rigged up a boom sprayer for the atv so maybe we will do some serious spraying. I have a pesticide applicators license so I get glyphosate and triplet (2-4d) from the landscape supply store and go crazy it literally nukes everything but its not cheap. I never thought of broadcasting turnips and rape into the beans though I will definitely do that. Sorry for hi-jacking the thread :oops:

Do you have any cams over this plot?
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:45 pm

Yes sir! Just a matter of time....

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”