Scouting camera placment...

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Scouting camera placment...

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:40 am

Should work good as long as you dont't overcheck it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:46 am

QDMAMAN wrote:Just a "tip" that i learned the hard way. I find it imparitive to face the camera NORTH whenever possible. This will eliminate the rising or setting sun from glaring out your pics.
The QDMA has a great book (Award Winning) on the Science of Scouting with cams. http://www.qdma.com/shop/deer-cameras-t ... ng-by-qdma

Good advice and this is an example of why to place the camera north.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:50 am

dreaming bucks wrote:Do you guys think leaving a camera up in the woods where you hunt is ok, if you mount it up high (10 feet), & put it there in July, & don't check it until the first time you hunt the spot, say maybe opening weekend in WI? (Sept 13)

Yes that would be a good way to do it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:53 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Should work good as long as you dont't overcheck it.

Yep, that's why I was asking if I just change the card out for the first time when I hunt that spot.

QDMAMAN
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1413515247

Unread postby QDMAMAN » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:25 am

In the event that I'm running cams during, or approaching hunting season, I treat my cam checks the same way I do my hunting in regards to scent control. I go to great lengths to avoid flora touching my clothes, wear clean rubber boots, and wear latex gloves. When I "set" the cam, I'll spray it down with a scent eliminator as well, you'll never completely fool them, but minimizing your scent helps, IMO. Get in, get out!
"Education is important, but goin' huntin' is importanter." - Earl Dibble Jr.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:28 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:Should work good as long as you dont't overcheck it.

Yep, that's why I was asking if I just change the card out for the first time when I hunt that spot.

That is the cleanest approach imho. I do it all the time. Sometimes I'll get in early, pull the card, check it while on stand, and leave if the card indicates my efforts are best elsewhere.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:09 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:Do you guys think leaving a camera up in the woods where you hunt is ok, if you mount it up high (10 feet), & put it there in July, & don't check it until the first time you hunt the spot, say maybe opening weekend in WI? (Sept 13)

Yes. If you place enough cameras out, you'll eventually lose one to a thief. Hanging them high helps.

Careful setting them high during the early spring. They are tempting bird nest locations. You should be safe in July.

I'm not too concerned about thieves, this is on private. I was more wondering about mature bucks avoiding the area if a cam is there.

I was thinking over a waterhole that is in the middle of my land...... Put the cam up in July sometime, and leave it there until the first time I hunt that waterhole.

I think the reason they avoid cameras is the human scent... If you leave it out that long your scent should be gone or not of concern.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:26 pm

Stanley wrote:
We have come a long way since the day of stretching a thread across a trail to see if anything went through there.

I've done that many times. :mrgreen:
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:30 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:Do you guys think leaving a camera up in the woods where you hunt is ok, if you mount it up high (10 feet), & put it there in July,

If I put a camera out where I think I might have problems, I hang them up about 10' - 12' high. What I noticed was it didn't seem to bother the deer like it sometimes does at eye level. I've never gotten a pic of a buck looking up at the camera. Depending on the area it seems to show the surrounding area better in the pic also.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”