New Public Land....for me.

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRFox
500 Club

Re: New Public Land....for me.

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:46 am

Been sick with a high fever since Saturday, today it got up to 103.8 before I went to the doctor. Turns out I might have Lymes Disease. We will get the blood results tomorrow and know for sure, hopefully its just an unknown infection.

I hope I can get back on my feet soon, I have a bunch of trail cameras I need to get to and a couple of PL properties I need to scout, such as the one I started this thread about. I will post up a pic of a 400 acre swamp I am going to hunt to get your guys opinions. IM GOING CRAZY STUCK IN THE HOUSE!!!!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:49 am

I hope you get better quick... Don't sweat it, if its lymes and you catch it quick its just a matter of taking some pills.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:47 am

they say that not only deer ticks have limes disease,but all ticks have limes disease. i had one on my side this year from shroom picing and thankfully it wasent lime disease
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:01 pm

Thanks guys the doc said if it isn't lymes it could be the other tick born illness I forget what its called. They also checked me for mono although he doubts that's what it is wish me well!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:34 am

Get better soon, GRFox! We need to hear how that scouting goes.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:28 am

I was FINALLY able to get back on my feet and scout this property. Turns out that guys are pretty much just lazy. Found a ton of cat eyes on the trail coming up from the parking lot. It seemed like they were everywhere at first, then I realized the higher and more steep the terrain got the evidence of human presence pretty much disappeared, no more water bottles, bright eyes ect ect.

Any way, the green ring I drew below is a huge oak flat that I found and just below it, although not shown on the topo is a pretty nice little swampy water hole right in the middle of the woods. I started circling around trying to find tracks or trails going into the water, but didnt really find too many tracks surprisingly. Anyway I found a faint little trail coming off the oak flat and going up into the steep elevation (red line)....these woods are predominantly a spooky dark pine forest. Anyway I followed this faint trail up into the top third of the terrain where it continued to follow the same elevation just as you guys have taught me it would. I started investigating all of the little points coming off of the trail but was unable to locate a bed, but I did wind up finding two nice sheds.

Any way the black dots are possible stand locations. The one in the higher ground overlooks the top third trail, and the one on the bottom is where a couple other trails seem to meet coming off the mountain into the oak flats.

Would you guys hunt the high trail, even though I didnt find a specific bed? Could I just assume that these deer would use that trail to come down to the oaks in September and early October to feed and drink?

Or maybe I should hunt the lower stand and hope to catch deer coming into the oaks and maybe make an adjustment based on observed movement?

Either way It was VERY exciting to use topo maps to navigate myself on a property for the first time, and it was even more exciting when I found the sign I was expecting to find in the places I was expecting to find it based off of what I have learned from Dan and all of you guys on this sight. It is definetly changing the way I hunt forever, and I made a commitment to myself to never hunt blindly and hope deer come by, but to always hunt like a beast off of hot sign and bedding from now on.

Thanks for all the help guys, let me know what you think.

EDIT: Wanted to correct myself, the trail in the red does not hook up like that, it runs as if you would connect my two black dots.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:51 am

Anyone have any insight on these stand ideas?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:14 am

Looks like good options to me... I would always lean towards being as close to the bedding as possible, rather than close to the food. I think there were beds along that elevation and you just missed them
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:08 pm

dan wrote:Looks like good options to me... I would always lean towards being as close to the bedding as possible, rather than close to the food. I think there were beds along that elevation and you just missed them

Couldnt agree more, I need to slow down sometimes.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:56 am

I agree hunt the higher bedding location. By the way where's the pic of the sheds you found?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:40 am

JRM6868 wrote:...By the way where's the pic of the sheds you found?

X2
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:34 am

Sorry for the dealay on the picture, I meant to post it sooner.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”