Renovating old neglected Apple trees

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Renovating old neglected Apple trees

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:06 pm

Tufrthnails wrote:Slayer I checked the tags on my trees and actually grabbed a tape measure since I just used an the shovel to guestimate the distance between the trees (was more worried about them being spaced even. The apple trees say they will grow 12 to 15ft tall and 12 to 15 ft across and the peach say 20 to 25 ft tall and 20 to 25ft across. I taped it and I actually have 19ft between them yeah I don't know I must have laid the shovel down one more time then I was counting, but that should be good for the trees right? I may have to do some pruning on the Peach trees, but the Apples should be good at 19ft?

Yup, you will be good on the apple trees and you might not need to prune the peach trees. If you do it won't be much. BTW, deer love to browse on peach leaves (and apple trees).

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:01 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:
Tufrthnails wrote:Slayer I checked the tags on my trees and actually grabbed a tape measure since I just used an the shovel to guestimate the distance between the trees (was more worried about them being spaced even. The apple trees say they will grow 12 to 15ft tall and 12 to 15 ft across and the peach say 20 to 25 ft tall and 20 to 25ft across. I taped it and I actually have 19ft between them yeah I don't know I must have laid the shovel down one more time then I was counting, but that should be good for the trees right? I may have to do some pruning on the Peach trees, but the Apples should be good at 19ft?

Yup, you will be good on the apple trees and you might not need to prune the peach trees. If you do it won't be much. BTW, deer love to browse on peach leaves (and apple trees).

Yeah I'm hoping they like them just not before the trees get big enough
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:25 am

Sweet. Nice to be able to see deer in the yard. It looks like you have room for a strip clover or some other food plot. Also, if you keep weeds a few feet away from the trunk your trees will do better.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:49 pm

I am going to reread - great info Buddy!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:59 pm

Thanks for the bump. I'll check this out today when I get time.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:21 am

Deerslayer- that was packed full of great information. Getting an old neglected apple tree under control is no easy task. I have been working on 4 big ones for the last two years. It will definitely be better for the life of the tree and produce a better quality fruit once I get them where I want them.
Ryan
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:08 am

Ryan549 wrote:Deerslayer- that was packed full of great information. Getting an old neglected apple tree under control is no easy task. I have been working on 4 big ones for the last two years. It will definitely be better for the life of the tree and produce a better quality fruit once I get them where I want them.

It can take 2-3 years to renovate one safely, but before I knew what I was doing I tried to renovate an old tree about 30 years ago and almost killed it. I took off over half of it all at once. I thought I killed it but it started to come back after a couple years & grew fine after that. It took about 6-7 years before it finally produced apples & then it was a bumper crop every year of nice sized apples. Before renovation it never produced even one apple. It was definitely healthier in the end.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”