Who uses a mineral lick?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Who uses a mineral lick?

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:57 am

Who uses a mineral site? What mineral do you use and do you really think it has helped your deer herd in anyway?

I have been using a mineral lick behind my house for the last 4 years. I believe that my deer herd seems to be healthy and I have seen an increase in the size of the headgear on the bucks that I get on camera as regular visitors to the mineral site. I just want to hear what everyone else thinks about them, and if you use one or not. I use Lucky Buck Mineral, but there are alot of different brands and kinds of Mineral out there. So lets hear what you have to say about it.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Who uses a mineral lick?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:17 am

I have used mineral, but no longer do because it's illegal here now. Right now I can't remember the name of the blocks I used. They were little four pound blocks (not the cheap ones in the stores either), but even though I haven't used it I think Mega Bucks AGF is probably hands down the best salt based mineral out there and has been for many years. When using a good quality mineral I have seen a very small difference in average tine length, but a definite increase in mass when used in the big woods. I suspect the difference would be less or unnoticeable in good farmland since the soil would likely have plenty of minerals that the forage would absorb. So the deer would be getting all their minerals that way which is a far better way for them to get the minerals they need.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:23 am

The Wisconsin DNR says I can't use one... Who made them boss anyway ? :(
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:16 am

I use just plain salt. Water softener salt actually..its the cheapest and purest I have found.

I used to make this big mixture with DiCalcium phosphate, trace minerals, salt, etc, but after reading numerous studies published by large universities and other sources and finding no evidence that supplemented minerals increase antler size, I stopped using it.

Ive been told that the only reason deer are attracted to the salt is because during the summer, they are eating green plants, which are high in potassium. Eating so much potassium throws off their internal sodium-potassium balance, meaning they need soduim.. it just so happens that the same time of year corresponds with antler growth, which makes it look like they are using the minerals for their antlers. I dont know if that is for sure or not, but thats what they say I guess..

Anyways, I switched back to just plain salt, and the deer still hammer it. I have a ton of pictures of bigger deer this year, but Im assuming the age class on our property is just increasing finally since letting little ones walk for the last few years.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:16 pm

Used to, can't since CWD..................
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:46 am

Trophy rock

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”