New Property For 2020 - How would you Hunt it?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kgraham1312

New Property For 2020 - How would you Hunt it?

Unread postby kgraham1312 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:26 pm

We just got selected to hunt this 60 acre property for the 2020 Hunting year. Its a yearly lottery and you most likely won't get the same property two years in a row. Looking for how you would scout until Season (Oct 1) and where some of your first stands might be. I'm mobile but my Wife and Dad only sit in pre-sets. Any help on where to start, where i should hang some cameras and how to pick it apart. Lots of farmland to the North and East of the property. There is a tree farm to the West that is pretty open/tall pines. And the South is undeveloped neighborhoods. Wind is most likely some sort of Western or Northwest wind.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kgraham1312

Re: New Property For 2020 - How would you Hunt it?

Unread postby kgraham1312 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:13 am

Did a little glassing last night. Figured out the field to the North of the property is Alfalfa not Corn and I spotted a few does and nice buck on it.
MsDeltakilla

Unread postby MsDeltakilla » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:52 am

I would walk the marsh and crp field edges and check for sign/ trails coming in and out. If you have trail cameras definitely get some out and check whats in the area. im from Ms and when it comes to deer, they dont like anything open. marsh and crp happens to be thick and makes for great bedding for mature animals.
kgraham1312

Unread postby kgraham1312 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:49 am

Thanks MsDeltakilla... I'm not allowed on the property until Labor Day weekend so Ive been glassing from the roads and a couple back yards of property owners I know. I updated the map with what I have discovered so far. I've been on the property before and seems like the CRP field is more night bedding, never kicked up any deer while walking or helping with land management. I will definitely be walking the swamp edges on Labor Day and setting up cameras on trails. There is a real nice buck on Private property on the Northwest corner of the CRP. Hoping to keep tabs of him and see if he comes onto my property up until hunting season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MsDeltakilla

Unread postby MsDeltakilla » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:39 pm

kgraham1312 wrote:Thanks MsDeltakilla... I'm not allowed on the property until Labor Day weekend so Ive been glassing from the roads and a couple back yards of property owners I know. I updated the map with what I have discovered so far. I've been on the property before and seems like the CRP field is more night bedding, never kicked up any deer while walking or helping with land management. I will definitely be walking the swamp edges on Labor Day and setting up cameras on trails. There is a real nice buck on Private property on the Northwest corner of the CRP. Hoping to keep tabs of him and see if he comes onto my property up until hunting season.

Good luck buddy, hope you locate a good one!
andersta01

Unread postby andersta01 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:22 pm

I would take a day and walk the whole thing, I mean the whole thing it’s only 60 acres & it looks like that field takes up a lot of it. Don’t be afraid to disturb the place once. When I bought my last property it was pretty much the same thing 64 acres I got it late August, so I had 2 choices leave it alone & hunt my way in, or scout it right before the season. I went in 2 days in a row walked the whole thing twice, & I would make that decision every time! As for helping you scout? Well there are plenty of people on this forum that can give you ideas, I would say to you burn some boot leather, be observant, pick up what you can, the only way to learn is to do!
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:50 am

38924F9F-AFDA-44E7-9338-B6FE550CA79C.jpeg

Blue circles are where I’d put stands for the rut and expect to catch a lot of deer movement.
That oak flat adjacent to the Marsh on the left hand side will be good early season.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”