To fence or not to fence

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite
500 Club

To fence or not to fence

Unread postby Elite » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:48 am

I'll be planting brassicas and chicory this week and wondering if I should fence it off to prevent the deer from eating them before the season starts. Any suggestions?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: To fence or not to fence

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:30 am

I’ve never had a place to fence and really don’t know or have anything to offer on it. But would say if I had to put up a fence I would do it strategically so all roads lead by a very special tree.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:55 am

Wouldnt the deer jump the fence? Unless you get that deer proof fence thats like 8ft tall. Not sure its cost effective.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:01 pm

I assuming you mean an electric fence. If putting in a large plot I don't think it is necessary. Small plots especially in good deer density areas though the deer can hammer it before it gets established. An electric fence works really well until you are ready to let them at it. If I fence it I usually do the 2 rows of fencing. Deer don't have depth perception so it helps keep them from jumping.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:21 pm

cspot wrote:I assuming you mean an electric fence. If putting in a large plot I don't think it is necessary. Small plots especially in good deer density areas though the deer can hammer it before it gets established. An electric fence works really well until you are ready to let them at it. If I fence it I usually do the 2 rows of fencing. Deer don't have depth perception so it helps keep them from jumping.

You're correct, It would be a 2 row fence. I know fencing is common for bean and corn plots but not sure about brassicas.
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:35 am

I’ve never had issues with brassicas getting hammered Early - the sugar content spikes (frost turns the starch to sugar) after a hard frost and that’s when they start to draw the deer. I’d try it and see what happens with no fence. If planting beans and the acreage is small I’d fence.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:27 am

I put in brassicas last year. They didn't get touched until November, then the tops were eaten off all of them in a week.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:20 pm

Bio1 wrote:I’ve never had issues with brassicas getting hammered Early - the sugar content spikes (frost turns the starch to sugar) after a hard frost and that’s when they start to draw the deer. I’d try it and see what happens with no fence. If planting beans and the acreage is small I’d fence.

Thanks!
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:20 pm

oldrank wrote:I put in brassicas last year. They didn't get touched until November, then the tops were eaten off all of them in a week.

Where are u located?
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:00 pm

Elite wrote:
Bio1 wrote:I’ve never had issues with brassicas getting hammered Early - the sugar content spikes (frost turns the starch to sugar) after a hard frost and that’s when they start to draw the deer. I’d try it and see what happens with no fence. If planting beans and the acreage is small I’d fence.

Thanks!

Bud, If I remember right ,you’re a ways north right? Here In the UP they ate my brassicas before our season opened Oct 1. My neighbors all had similar problems.
It’s wild how much these things vary from one place to the next.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:46 pm

I have seen it both ways. I think alot depends upon the year with what other food is available at that time that the brassicas are coming thru the ground. Also in years of drought it can be tough for them to get established even in light grazing pressure.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:00 pm

You might be able to rig something up with a few rolls of chicken wire, zip ties and a frame Made of 2 by 4s or PVC for fairly cheap.

Like make a few strips that are 3 ft tall by 5ft wide by 25 ft long maybe in a few areas and keep them staked down and caged off till the plants mature or it gets deep into hunting season. Then open it up so it’s exposed whenever you get ready.

Make sense?
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:06 pm

I googled it, they are called utilization or exclusion cages. Could be a cheaper alternative.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:55 pm

I’m in central IL - we typically don’t get a hard frost til mid October. I try to have them in the ground between August 15 and September 1. If you have an earlier frost date I’d expect them to get hit earlier (or later if further south).

Good luck
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:53 am

1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:
Elite wrote:

Thanks!

Bud, If I remember right ,you’re a ways north right? Here In the UP they ate my brassicas before our season opened Oct 1. My neighbors all had similar problems.
It’s wild how much these things vary from one place to the next.

I'm in NW Wisconsin. Our average first frost is Sept 1-10 and season opens Sept 12 this year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”