New beast hunter....Looking for scouting advice

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich8896

New beast hunter....Looking for scouting advice

Unread postby Rich8896 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:17 am

Hello all! I am looking to jump more into the beast tactics on public land. I also love the Hunting Public Guys. Most of my family that hunts has access to private land, which I am never invited to...which makes me want to get it done on public even more! :D ! I am hoping to get some tips/advice on areas I should key in on while doing my after season scouting. I have already got boots on the ground this year and found a ton of sign in the one area that is easily accessible. I am trying to get into the harder to access areas next year with a canoe. You would need chest waders at least to get across the creek and avoid the marsh/bayou to get onto the secluded areas along the river. I have the access areas marked in yellow on the map. The thing that has me most excited is that lack of hunter sign...I found virtually none. No tree stands, no ground blinds, no trail cams....nothing! The one oxbow that I marked on OnX is LOADED with rubs. I have never seen so many rubs in one area on public land than here. And the only scrapes I have seen this year on public as well. I am thinking about trying a Ted Miller horizontal rub in the oxbow loaded with rubs next year. ANY and ALL advice/tips/insight on possible areas to key into for buck bedding is GREATLY appreciated!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

matt1336
500 Club

Re: New beast hunter....Looking for scouting advice

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:25 am

Sounds like you got some good stuff there. My advice would be not to try the horizontal rub. That will draw attention. There’s no need to do stuff like that. The deer are there. Personally I wouldn’t even put a camera there. Ik a lot of guys would, but there are good bucks using the area, and that’s all I need to know. You’d be fooling yourself thinking that no one ever goes in there. Putting cameras and a horizontal rub or anything else that would suggest you’re hunting there is a mistake, IMO. Get the know the area well this winter and spring then stay out till the conditions are right to kill a buck.
Rich8896

Unread postby Rich8896 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:11 am

Rich8896 wrote:Hello all! I am looking to jump more into the beast tactics on public land. I also love the Hunting Public Guys. Most of my family that hunts has access to private land, which I am never invited to...which makes me want to get it done on public even more! :D ! I am hoping to get some tips/advice on areas I should key in on while doing my after season scouting. I have already got boots on the ground this year and found a ton of sign in the one area that is easily accessible. I am trying to get into the harder to access areas next year with a canoe. You would need chest waders at least to get across the creek and avoid the marsh/bayou to get onto the secluded areas along the river. I have the access areas marked in yellow on the map. The thing that has me most excited is that lack of hunter sign...I found virtually none. No tree stands, no ground blinds, no trail cams....nothing! The one oxbow that I marked on OnX is LOADED with rubs. I have never seen so many rubs in one area on public land than here. And the only scrapes I have seen this year on public as well. I am thinking about trying a Ted Miller horizontal rub in the oxbow loaded with rubs next year. ANY and ALL advice/tips/insight on possible areas to key into for buck bedding is GREATLY appreciated!!

Forgot to mention I am hunting Southwest Michigan
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:13 am

Honestly Rich, I wouldn’t have mentioned that. You did a lot of leg work, found a promising area. The photo is great for help but I wouldn’t get to specific about location or even your region. It would be real easy for someone else to pin point it now. If there’s one thing I’ve ever learned. Keep promising or good areas a secret. Maybe delete that comment haha.

I’m just looking out for you man. Good luck
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:02 am

It took me longer to edit the picture than it did to find the location :lol:

I'll agree with the others, might want to delete the original post.

20191218_125941.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mvs76

Unread postby Mvs76 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:52 am

I recognize that spot, I've never been to it yet but was going to scout it, looks Lee you beat me to it though! I'm new to this site and style of hunting as well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”