Growing pear tree from seed

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

treeroot
500 Club

Re: Growing pear tree from seed

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:28 pm

I'll wait then. I'd rather not screw it up. Do you want any of the seeds to try?

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Growing pear tree from seed

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:10 pm

treeroot wrote:I'll wait then. I'd rather not screw it up. Do you want any of the seeds to try?

No thanks. The good things about the seeds is they are guaranteed to be compatible for grafting. The bad is that they develop into large trees that may not produce for 10-15 years & their disease resistance & soil characteristics are not known. Although they are usually very hardy so that probably won't be an issue. Seedling stock usually makes a fast growing, big strong tree that produces a lot of fruit & will live a very long time. It just normally takes a long time to produce fruit. Getting a known rootstock usually will result in good compatibility with an unknown variety, good disease resistance, known soil compatibility & a tree that produces fruit much sooner.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”