Accessing the impossible spot

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

EthanHogan

Accessing the impossible spot

Unread postby EthanHogan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:13 am

208413B5-9D08-4738-B295-5C0D616201F0.jpeg

I have this 40 I can hunt in the UP. It holds a lot of deer due to surrounding pressure and the fact that no one but me hunts it. Although I had pressure from all sides. My problem is access without spooking deer if I go in at any time of day. The grass just inside the woods is very thing and they bed right on the edge and just stay there all day before coming out to feed on the apples that are marked in purple.
Every season I scout this in late season there is a buck using the swamp on the east side. I marked his bed in blue and his run line in yellow. The problem is again the wind and the does going in, I can’t get by them without alerting him. I also have to hunt an off wind, it is predominately north north west winds here. A straight north wind I could stay just west of his bed and maybe catch him coming out. I can not access any where but from the open field to the south in the image by the buildings.
Any suggestions from anyone is helpful. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Accessing the impossible spot

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:39 am

Hunt it with a north wind like you said. Walk straight north from the house then cut straight east. The does bedded closer to the apples will spook out south not alerting the buck if that’s where he is bedded.
EthanHogan

Unread postby EthanHogan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:54 am

Hawthorne wrote:Hunt it with a north wind like you said. Walk straight north from the house then cut straight east. The does bedded closer to the apples will spook out south not alerting the buck if that’s where he is bedded.

Thank you!!! I have tried that but it looks a lot closer in the pic. I think I may the ole bump and dump this season!
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:15 am

No expert here, but I will give my opinion. I assume that North and South is up and down. Why can't you access on the far West Side right against the property line. Basically follow the redline right around and then come up to the yellow lines that you said is how he leaves the blue bed. You could hunt on a West or Southwest Wind. Yes your scent stream would blow to him but you would be close to the house when it did and you would be a far distance from him when that happened. I don't think that would cause him to leave.
Paca

Unread postby Paca » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:23 am

Easy, ask the neighbor to cross that field to the north. Promise him u won’t drive on the field and maybe some help around the farm.
EthanHogan

Unread postby EthanHogan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:44 am

cspot wrote:No expert here, but I will give my opinion. I assume that North and South is up and down. Why can't you access on the far West Side right against the property line. Basically follow the redline right around and then come up to the yellow lines that you said is how he leaves the blue bed. You could hunt on a West or Southwest Wind. Yes your scent stream would blow to him but you would be close to the house when it did and you would be a far distance from him when that happened. I don't think that would cause him to leave.

Will def try that! Just take the LONG way around, but wouldn’t mess him up or the does probably, and I could probably come in behind the bedded does allowing me to hunt north wind, or like you said possibly a southwest. Thanks! Love all the perspectives
EthanHogan

Unread postby EthanHogan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:44 am

Paca wrote:Easy, ask the neighbor to cross that field to the north. Promise him u won’t drive on the field and maybe some help around the farm.

He hunts back there lol
Paca

Unread postby Paca » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:19 pm

I’ve heard of guys impeding specific bed locations by dropping trees into beds. I’ve done it a few times with positive results. Might be an option to try

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”