Learning Beast style

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Huntrp

Learning Beast style

Unread postby Huntrp » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:16 am

Im a new member from NJ. I live in NYC suburbs. I've been hunting for for 30 years. I was introduced to the Hunting beast by listening to a Dan on a podcast and have come to realize that I need to change the way that I approach my hunting tactics. With that I have been scouring the forum and watching YouTube videos and my head is spinning. I have many questions that I hope I can find answers to. It seems like I've been doing it all wrong.
The area where I hunt is public land and it sees pretty heavy pressure. Its located in NW NJ, about an hour and a half from where I live. The area is a mix between agriculture and hills/mountain terrain. Oaks are everywhere and there are crop fields throughout. I find it hard to zero in on a single food source.
I have been focused primarily in a small portion of a larger federal park for the past I'd say 15 years without too much deviation. The park is 70,000 acres and When I look at new places in surrounding mountain terrain I tend to become overwhelmed with where to begin and ultimately revert to hunting the same area that I have had marginal success with over the years.
As I study this new approach i am met with a dilemma. I have generally been focused on hunting field edges and creek crossings without paying much attention to what spots are good for different parts of the season. I have killed deer but I think it has just for the most part been luck. I am beginning to look at this through a new lense. However, with season so close, less than a month away, is it better to leave the area alone and try to go in and scout my way through the season? Or try to go in and scout somewhat before?
I have some pics of the area and wonder if anyone has some insight or suggestions of where to focus going into early season. The blue line is a creek that dumps into the larger river. The yellow is a highway. I am focusing right now on that point between the highway and creek. Not sure the best way to attack it though. There is a obvious creek crossing in the draw between the two ridges near the larger river. The fields are almost 400 yards deep from the road for perspective. There is a narrow kind of bench behind the CRP fields that is about 20-25 yards wide before the wooded ridge drops off to the river. It seems to be funnel between two larger areas of woods. The red lines in the satellite view indicate where I have entered and hunted along. The third pic is another topo of the same area.
The fourth is a satellite view. The circled yellow is a smaller thick patch pines surrounded by a larger area of hardwoods. There are beds all throughout...not sure if its buck or doe but it seems consistently used every year. It's on the ridge overlooking the field and road.
I have seen bucks cruising the edge of that pine thicket going directly up the ridge during the rut multiple times (shot and lost one years back :? )

Screenshot_20190905-231912_CalTopo.jpg
Screenshot_20190905-214957_Gallery.jpg
20190905_215323.jpg
Screenshot_20190906-094616_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Huntrp

Re: Learning Beast style

Unread postby Huntrp » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:18 pm

Got it. Thanks.
Sharpshoot3r

Re: Learning Beast style

Unread postby Sharpshoot3r » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:46 am

Im from suburbs of NYC as well currently live in NJ. Im not familiar with that area but i did find the spot. I see a huge 330 acre island and boat ramp not to far is that an option possibly?

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”