Possible Deer Trail Example in Marshy Area? What do you think?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seuss79

Possible Deer Trail Example in Marshy Area? What do you think?

Unread postby seuss79 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Screenshot_20190808-122722.png
My gut says these are heavily traveled trails. Cyber scouting makes me think I should look for bedding in areas where the trails come together.

For those that have experience beast hunting, what do you think? This will be my first season beast hunting. Any advise besides boots on the ground. I will be scouting on foot in 2 weeks when allowed to enter property.

seuss79

Re: Possible Deer Trail Example in Marshy Area? What do you think?

Unread postby seuss79 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:15 pm

Notice how close the road is to the far south.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:59 pm

For sure deer trails, they can help guide you but nothing beats boots on the ground. I try and remember that these trails might have looked similar 1000 years ago, they are just kind of beat down after centuries of travel.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:45 am

headgear wrote:For sure deer trails, they can help guide you but nothing beats boots on the ground. I try and remember that these trails might have looked similar 1000 years ago, they are just kind of beat down after centuries of travel.

Agree with this. I've seen similar aerials, key in on them with boots on the ground and find they're either used sporadically, not at all, could just be water flowage, or might be really grooved and heavily used. And even if heavily used, it might not be right then either. Wet areas can look "fresh" for a long time. I would suggest to backtrack or push in more to where those trails cross the any drier areas to see what's up there. If the drier stuff is recently used, then you're on to something. Time of year is key... Some might just be used at certain points, some all the time. Poop, tracks and nearby fresh browse sign will tell you a lot. There's simply no substitute for putting your eyeballs on the area in person.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:55 am

x2 on whar headgear and dave said. I'd also suggest looking at aerials taken at different times throughout the years. can give you an idea of whats more likely a trail vs what could be a water flow
seuss79

Unread postby seuss79 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:05 pm

Hopefully I find out some of the trails are still being used all year. Too bad I have to wait until Sept 1 to be able to get access.
Never really thought about these trails only being used certain times of the year. Thanks for the reminder that even heavy looking trails cyber scouting may only be used at certain times.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”