Northwoods kill plot advice

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tonsen23

Northwoods kill plot advice

Unread postby Tonsen23 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:22 am

I'm looking for advice for what to plant. I'm clearing land today on a 6 acre piece of land that butts up to 11 acres of public. Ive got lots of sign and gotten good trail cam pictures of deer coming through. Its kind of a hidden spot. Anyone got some advice on what to plant here or something theyve had luck with up north? It looks like there will be decent sunlight at least part of the day here. I'm sending a soil sample in soon, but will be looking to buy some seed sometime this summer to plant at the beginning of August. Thanks in advance.

Tonsen23

Re: Northwoods kill plot advice

Unread postby Tonsen23 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:23 am

Forgot to mention the area I'm clearing is about 1/10th of an acre.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:41 am

I’m trying winter wheat rye clover turnip radish mix. Or something close to that. You might have a hard time keeping stuff growing in a small plot like that. The deer will hammer it...I doubt you’ll have much left by November
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:37 pm

Oats will grow in about any soil if you can’t get to a premium ph. If you can get to best ph it’s hard to beat clover, which does well in partial shade and northern climate.
Persistence is undefeated.
OUBrew

Unread postby OUBrew » Fri May 03, 2019 1:31 am

That's a small plot. I agree some type of green that extends past the ag production beans would be really good heading into mid October. Buck Forage Oates will grow and can get ahead of feeding pressure. Winter Rye is the old standby. Will grow in your truck bed if you let it. Plant late August. Throw in some soybean seed...maybe winter peas and that will sweeten it up before they hammer it.

One thing I saw a guy do is put actual mineral into a small plot. It's relatively inexpensive. Spread it with the fertilizer. Till it in.

You could plant some legume mix this spring and over seed it with Buck Forage Oates around Labor Day. Good Luck
OUBrew

Unread postby OUBrew » Fri May 03, 2019 2:06 am

This is what I am going to try this year.

https://www.redmondagriculture.com/soil/
Tonsen23

Unread postby Tonsen23 » Fri May 03, 2019 4:08 am

Thanks for the advice.

I know its a small plot, I'm kinda just testing this out before I try and go larger. Theres also some big oak trees on our land.

I'm not really going to hunt this piece, I'm saving for my kid and nephew for early season archery and the youth hunt. Hoping to get one of them a deer this year.
OUBrew

Unread postby OUBrew » Fri May 03, 2019 4:35 am

Tonsen23 wrote:Thanks for the advice.

I know its a small plot, I'm kinda just testing this out before I try and go larger. Theres also some big oak trees on our land.

I'm not really going to hunt this piece, I'm saving for my kid and nephew for early season archery and the youth hunt. Hoping to get one of them a deer this year.

Small is not bad...just creates problems with sustainability in higher deer density areas...especially spots with no surrounding ag or clear cuts. If you want it to be hunted early season I'd throw in a water hole as well.

One other idea is mineral stumping junk trees surrounding your plot. Cut off any junk deciduous tree at waist height anytime this spring or early summer and the deer will hammer the regeneration. They will actually prefer the mineral stump to a food plot because the mineral uprooting is more diverse with the tree regrowth. 30-40 smaller diameter trees equals 1/4 food plot.

Good luck
Oldnotdead

Unread postby Oldnotdead » Tue May 14, 2019 11:54 am

Small middle woods plots are all I do. I have 13 spread out around the property. If you have some good sun there are many things you can plant. If you go with an annual this year you will have time to fight the weed bank in the soil. Once you've done this a season or two you can put in a great perennial mix that should last a few years and cut your labor/ time costs.
Planting the annuals should have at least two goals. 1) deer draw ,2) soil improvements.
If liming is needed, time is the key. It takes time and incorporation to work. So a acid tolerant planting is key to success. Winter rye is good and rape. Buckwheat until a frost kill for fall plantings with aanual clovers spring through fall.
Perennials,well do your clover research not all clovers are equal, small Burnett I can't say enough good things about it. Watch pricing it really varies and you don't need to spend a fortune. Forage chicory, trifoil, all these help not only all critters but your soil as well. For a late season draw a light walk over of turpis in the late summer just before a good rain works well,light is the key word here.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed May 15, 2019 4:44 am

Tonsen23 wrote:Thanks for the advice.

As mentioned above, oats can be great and can handle some browse. But if you’re looking for an early season plot, I’d go with clover. Oats don’t really “shine” until everything else dies off.
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Fri May 17, 2019 2:19 am

Last year we did a few plots with a mix of clover and brassicas in northeast MN. The deer absolutely hammered it when those brassicas came up. Definitely get your soil test so you get the best results. I'd also recommend questioning a professional land manager who plants plots for a living, theyre generally pretty helpful, and have a great knowledge of what grows best in your area.
Bowstring

Unread postby Bowstring » Sat May 18, 2019 7:54 am

You can't go wrong with clover. It's easy to grow and take care of and deer love it regardless of where you're at. I've put everything in food plots and I keep coming back to clover...Good Luck....

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”