Forage Soybeans???

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cspot
500 Club

Re: Forage Soybeans???

Unread postby cspot » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:53 am

I planted Tyrone Forage Soybeans a couple of years ago. They were cheaper, but are not Roundup ready. I planted an acre and did put an electric fence around it until they got up a couple of feet. They ended up getting about 6' tall.

Image8B72B497-6BA1-4FD8-89E4-00A9C5763887_zpshqqnthn9 by cspot12, on Flickr

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:15 am

OUBrew wrote:
isitseasonyet? wrote:I’ll be graduating with a degree in Crop and Weed Science from NDSU in May. You can get eagle seed beans which will produce more green tissue tonnage for early season eating. There are several different factors that make them desirable to deer. Better palatability, more protein, and increased sugar in the leaf tissue. Or you could buy a later maturing variety of “Ag” beans and have them stay green longer in the season.... of you are looking for the late season draw you either need to plant a large area, or fence them in. There is no other way for the plants to stand up to browsing pressure. This is EXTREMELY important when they are seedlings because if the deer eat them at that stage they will not recover. No mater what variety.

The ag prodcution beans I put in last year made it to flowering stage and produced pods even though I screwed up and and did not innoculate the seed. I planted a 35 year fallow field. Beans only got a 16" high but had good pod numbers. The clear cut all around probably saved the beans early on but once it tuned cold and they moved in on the grain....the 5 acres was picked clean in under 2 weeks. Did not make the gun season little lone late season.

What are you hearing on pod development with Forage beans from Eagle?

Most innoculant is not necessary. All it is, is bacteria that colonizes the root zone and helps them with N fixation, and nutrient uptake. As long as the soil is not sterile they should grow just fine.

If you want grain, go with ag beans, if you want tonnage, and biomass for browse and the ability to stand up to heavy grazing pressure go with forage beans.

I would recommend planting them in a mixture, this way you can have a full season food plot. Some oats, some brassicas, some turnips, some clover, some cereal rye maybe.... your location and target planting dates would dictate what would go in the mix. This will increase tonnage, leave you with a greener plot come fall, and you will still have food available for them in the winter.

Deer can go anywhere and get soybeans, but if you give them a mix, you’re gonna be much happier as a result, and the deer will too.
OUBrew

Unread postby OUBrew » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:34 am

isitseasonyet? wrote:
OUBrew wrote:
isitseasonyet? wrote:I’ll be graduating with a degree in Crop and Weed Science from NDSU in May. You can get eagle seed beans which will produce more green tissue tonnage for early season eating. There are several different factors that make them desirable to deer. Better palatability, more protein, and increased sugar in the leaf tissue. Or you could buy a later maturing variety of “Ag” beans and have them stay green longer in the season.... of you are looking for the late season draw you either need to plant a large area, or fence them in. There is no other way for the plants to stand up to browsing pressure. This is EXTREMELY important when they are seedlings because if the deer eat them at that stage they will not recover. No mater what variety.

The ag prodcution beans I put in last year made it to flowering stage and produced pods even though I screwed up and and did not innoculate the seed. I planted a 35 year fallow field. Beans only got a 16" high but had good pod numbers. The clear cut all around probably saved the beans early on but once it tuned cold and they moved in on the grain....the 5 acres was picked clean in under 2 weeks. Did not make the gun season little lone late season.

Most innoculant is not necessary. All it is, is bacteria that colonizes the root zone and helps them with N fixation, and nutrient uptake. As long as the soil is not sterile they should grow just fine.

If you want grain, go with ag beans, if you want tonnage, and biomass for browse and the ability to stand up to heavy grazing pressure go with forage beans.

I would recommend planting them in a mixture, this way you can have a full season food plot. Some oats, some brassicas, some turnips, some clover, some cereal rye maybe.... your location and target planting dates would dictate what would go in the mix. This will increase tonnage, leave you with a greener plot come fall, and you will still have food available for them in the winter.

Deer can go anywhere and get soybeans, but if you give them a mix, you’re gonna be much happier as a result, and the deer will too.

Thanks...basically my approach this year. I tried to create a full season of green and I sacrificed late season options for it. What I found was the deer used the surrounding clear cut as much or more than the summer and early season green options I planted. After listening to the science behind mineral stumping from Marcus Lashley, I now understand why. So I used up over half my tillable acreage on plantings that really did not bring any return. When all of the destination ag fields got picked clean in late October/early November the deer moved in hard on my standing grain source. They ate through my 5 acres of standing beans before the WI gun season opened. I had hoped to have some beans still up for late season where I have had the most success. So this year, my approach will be much different. I'll count on the clear cut and surrounding bean and alfalfa fields to provide the greens through the summer and I am going to plan every bit of ground I can in some type of late season grain source. From what you said...most likely will be ag production beans. I'll over seed the bean fields with rye or oates in early Sept for some green attraction but that should give me enough grain to last the season.
RiverRun

Unread postby RiverRun » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:41 am

One of my hunting buddies and myself jumped all in and planted Eagle beans this year. We have high deer densities and they mowed the beans down in a period of 3 weeks. You're not supposed to have to plant the beans or peas too thick, but if we go the Eagle bean route again we will have to! From what I have read though, they are supposed to be a quality product.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:28 am

RiverRun wrote:One of my hunting buddies and myself jumped all in and planted Eagle beans this year. We have high deer densities and they mowed the beans down in a period of 3 weeks. You're not supposed to have to plant the beans or peas too thick, but if we go the Eagle bean route again we will have to! From what I have read though, they are supposed to be a quality product.

You would be much better off fencing the plot off until the plants are taller and able to withstand grazing than increasing plant population.

When you increase population you increase competition for available nutrients and the plants will be stunted and will be less likely to withstand the grazing pressure.

For soybeans plant at a rate of 180,000-200,000 plants per acre for broadcast or drill, and 155,000-185,000 plants per acre for beans planted in 20-30 inch rows.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:31 am

OUBrew wrote:
isitseasonyet? wrote:
OUBrew wrote:

Thanks...basically my approach this year. I tried to create a full season of green and I sacrificed late season options for it. What I found was the deer used the surrounding clear cut as much or more than the summer and early season green options I planted. After listening to the science behind mineral stumping from Marcus Lashley, I now understand why. So I used up over half my tillable acreage on plantings that really did not bring any return. When all of the destination ag fields got picked clean in late October/early November the deer moved in hard on my standing grain source. They ate through my 5 acres of standing beans before the WI gun season opened. I had hoped to have some beans still up for late season where I have had the most success. So this year, my approach will be much different. I'll count on the clear cut and surrounding bean and alfalfa fields to provide the greens through the summer and I am going to plan every bit of ground I can in some type of late season grain source. From what you said...most likely will be ag production beans. I'll over seed the bean fields with rye or oates in early Sept for some green attraction but that should give me enough grain to last the season.

What type of equipment do you have?
OUBrew

Unread postby OUBrew » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:46 am

isitseasonyet?

I rent a no till drill from our county extension and pull it with a JD 4066. I have the fields fertilized and sprayed from the ag co-op. I will plant 11 acres on the farm I am referring to.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:16 am

OUBrew wrote:isitseasonyet?

I rent a no till drill from our county extension and pull it with a JD 4066. I have the fields fertilized and sprayed from the ag co-op. I will plant 11 acres on the farm I am referring to.

I would reccomend planting some oats in that plot and then drilling the beans right into the standing oats when the oats are at the 3-4 leaf stage. This will allow your beans to germinate and grow some becase the tender green oats will take some of the feeding pressure. You can either terminate the oats once you have a good establishment of beans, easily with roundup if you use roundup ready beans. Or you can let them grow and have oats and beans in the same plot!
OUBrew

Unread postby OUBrew » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:06 am

Good idea....thanks!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”