Food plots for kids

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

treeroot
500 Club

Food plots for kids

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:23 am

I'm looking into building a little shooting house and putting it over a food plot. All that I'm really trying to accomplish is putting deer, any deer infront of what will be my 4 and 6 year old next year. I could careless about actually shooting one on the set up.

My oldest is border line ADHD just like his father so sitting still isn't a real option thus the shooting house. We tried a blind this year but I'd like something that blocks the rendition of jingle bells on the grunt call a little better. I'd just like to be able to have them watch deer.

I've done plots in the past with corn and clover. The clover didn't get hit very well. I'm no farmer and corn was hit or miss to get it to grow. So I'm looking for something else that grows taller that deer will hit. I'd like something that grows well in acidic soil so I'm not blowing tons of money getting the ph right. Any suggestions would be great.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Food plots for kids

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:50 am

If your soil is acid that might explain why your clover didn't get hit well. The closer the pH is to being correct the better tasting and more nutritious the plants will be. Not much grows well in acid soil when it comes to food plots, but depending on how acid it is you might try soy beans if you have a couple acres. The deer will often wipe out a soybean crop early on with small plots. Deer like young rye OK and it will grow in almost anything so if all else fails you can try that.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:05 pm

I'm not sure how acidic it is. The local mill recommend 300lbs of lime an acre.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:44 pm

treeroot wrote:I'm not sure how acidic it is. The local mill recommend 300lbs of lime an acre.

300 lbs is practically nothing. It sounds like a total guess on their part.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:42 pm

I took them a sample and that's what they said. I really don't know much other than it's not cheap. I'd really like to grow a taller crop they'd be more likely to mill around in during daylight.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:52 pm

If you want to send me a copy of your soil test I can take a look and tell you what I think. You can send it to info@slayerseed.com

How big is the plot and how much sun does it get?
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:22 pm

I never got any paperwork from them. Can I send you a sample?

It's 1.5 acres roughly. It gets full sunlight all day. However about 1/2 of it can get pretty wet.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:50 pm

I don't do soil testing. A lab has to do that. If you paid the local mill to do a soil test they should provide you with the results. I would call then and ask them to email you the results.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:59 pm

I'm willing to bet I paid the $40 to give them some free dirt. But I'll call there and see.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:29 am

On my lunch I called about my soil test, I was told they don't keep records over two years old. So I'm guessing another sample is in order. Last time I took the sample after snow melt in the spring. They took it in the back and came out and told me what I needed. I'm assuming from your responses you're thinking they didn't test it at all. If that's the case I'd rather not spend another $300 worth of lime and fertilizer with them.

Can I take one now if the ground thaws enough this weekend? Do you have someplace you'd recommend?
Should I buy a cheap test kit and do it myself? (Almost did this last time)
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:59 am

$40 would be the most expensive soil test I have ever heard of.

If they just took the sample in the back and came out shortly after they definitely scammed you and I would be complaining to whoever is in charge. Especially if you can remember who you dealt with and they still work there. They may have just pocketed the money. Either way, you can't do a real soil test anywhere near that fast.

I wouldn't do a home test kit. They don't tell you much and aren't accurate anyway. I would check to see if you have a local university extension service and check with them. If not I would check with the nearest farmers co-op and ask where they send it. I wouldn't be to interested in a place that does it on site. A real soil lab would be the place to have it done. You should be able to use google to find what you need.

You can take a soil test whenever you can dig. I usually recommend taking separate tests if the field conditions are different in different spots but you could probably get by taking soil from both the wetter and drier areas and mixing them together.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:08 pm

I will try to stop by the farm and see who they use. Thank you for your help. I'll keep you posted once I get some info.
Ditty22

Unread postby Ditty22 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:10 am

To make it easy no matter what the soil is like plant a mix of medium red clover, cereal rye & chicory.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:21 am

$40 is the most expensive test that I have ever heard of as well. Mossy Oak Biologic does tests for $7.50 each.

https://www.plantbiologic.com/t-soil.aspx

Penn State also does soil tests. They are $9 each.

https://agsci.psu.edu/aasl/soil-testing ... ty-testing
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:42 pm

Thank you guys.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”