How would you hunt this SWAMP

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TheMiz54

How would you hunt this SWAMP

Unread postby TheMiz54 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:52 am

Interested to hear how people would hunt this spot? I am thinking about setting up on the point next to the transition zone as there are trails just below going in every direction. One issue is the wind is usually coming from the North West blowing into the bedding area. I would have to hunt it when its a West or South West wind

I also could get a little more aggressive and move down into the swamp and set up in one of the small tree islands. There is an island further south that I think is great bedding for a large buck.

Let me know your thoughts.

Wolfie417
Facebook: brett wolf

Re: How would you hunt this SWAMP

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:30 pm

Where can you access from? I'm assuming the North. I'm no big buck cereal killer (pretty new to the beast at least) but I like your idea of getting aggressive and setting up on the islands. That's where I've been having my best luck in Minnesota so far this year. I think that river edge by the east side of the swamp looks like a cool place to check for sign of you can get the wind right for that. Personally I'd probably walk the transition with a few points marked on onx. Checking for sign the whole way and setting up either on some "hot sign" as everyone has been calling it, or I'd end up at one of my way points.
Ol'DominionBH

Re: How would you hunt this SWAMP

Unread postby Ol'DominionBH » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:05 pm

Know this spot well. Its tough getting into that swamp once you drop down that little ridge from the open field and strip of hardwoods. Mobile set-up with a light weight stand is a must. Defiantly bedding and trails in all the cattails. The east side has the hiking trails and I doubt deer are moving out that way in the evening but could, probably staying 100 yards away. That southern island doesn't have bedding (only water behind that high point and deer know there is no danger beyond that) and it might not be within the boundary anyway. I noticed a hunting presence back there a couple years ago while scouting and I've never known anyone that goes there (haha). Had a nice 125-135 class come out of that swamp from the south/west (where all those small trees/brush are - west side on the island and the photo) but that was 6 or 7 years ago now. How did your hunting go when you hunted that spot. We should talk if your still hunting down there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”