Help newbie in OHIO!

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

benarden11

Help newbie in OHIO!

Unread postby benarden11 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:29 pm

OK, So I was just introduced to this area and I am new to hunting and really do not have a mentor to learn from. So I am watching as many videos from The Hunting Beast as Possible! In the picture That I have provide( sorry for the 4 year old coloring skills) there are no ag fields within the public land area. Manly the ag fields are to the west and far north east corner of this piece. The bare places that you see within the green are all native grass areas. As you look on the map North is up. I know that the creek to the west is easy to cross and could be an easy way to access the farthest west area of this piece that most people would not walk to from the parking areas that are in the small white boxes. My first Idea is to cross the creek and climb the slope and get into the areas that may have bedding on the points. My thinking is that they are bedded on them and will use the ravines to travel west into the food and also feed on the oaks that seem to be plentiful.

I am open to suggestions.... Here is the link to the image: https://ibb.co/fU5DPU

Evanszach7
500 Club

Re: Help newbie in OHIO!

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:03 am

Should be some buck bedding on those points. If there’s not a lot of bird and rabbit hunting pressure, those native grasses before the frost would be the best bet for an overlooked buck.

90% of hunters are naturally gonna key in on the closest ag to the public. They’ve been doing that for years and mature bucks know it. Expand your radius to 1/2-1 mile and think about how deer will be moving. It doesn’t need to be connected by timber fingers. A ditch or steep grassy hill can be enough cover for them to cross a road. A lot of talk about bucks not moving more than a mile outside the rut. On pressured public land the bucks are different.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”