Day one sit advice

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Perfectionitz

Day one sit advice

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:55 pm

Hey guys, with my new job, I don’t get out of work until 4pm, so I have no choice but to hunt this little piece of conservation land 5 minutes away. I have no idea what amount of pressure it will receive. I’m debating how I should attack it... should I get right off the trails and try to set up on an island in the swampy woods or come in on a different trail and use the ghillie suit and try to still hunt the transition in the cattail/grassy marsh? Here’s a look at the property. On opening day, the wind is supposed to be blowing SSE in the morning when the deer will be bedding, but will switch to SSW around 10 am. I don’t necessarily want to burn up the grassy cattail marsh just yet, but maybe I should start there a dmove deeper into those islands later in the season. But then again, the acorns will be dropping on those islands.... what do you guys think?

I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
Rich M
500 Club

Re: Day one sit advice

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:39 pm

Can you do an observation sit before season opens?
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:07 am

Rich M wrote:Can you do an observation sit before season opens?

I don't really have time to do an observation sit because I've got 3 year old twins and 3 teenage stepdaughters, so between that and my new job I'm strapped for time as far as how much I can be out in the woods.

I did an observation sit about 3 weeks ago, but didn't see anything. I sat in a tree near where I show my planned access to those two islands break off of the trail dividing the marsh from the swampy woods. Had good visibility of the marsh, but my scent was blowing right into it because the wind switched after I set up. I've scouted the area a few times this spring and summer and have found some good bedding in the marsh, but haven't made it out to those islands yet because the water was too high. It's low now and i'll be able to walk out there fairly easily without getting too wet.

I just feel like with that wind switching after they bed down and the acorns still dropping here, those islands in the swamp will give me the best chance at seeing something, but I don't really know.... only my 3rd season and second using beast tactics.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:37 pm

Sounds like it is worth a shot - or two after work. Just don't let the wind shift on you when hunting...
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:10 am

If your constrained then just pick the bedding that is best for the wind that day. Then just hop around on next sit to adjacent bedding.

We have been getting a lot of rain recently here in Mass. Try a fast scout before you sit and hunt bedding with most recent sign of usage. Just tell wife your going for milk and come back 3 hours later lol.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:32 am

The possibility of security bedding up tight to the highway. Might want to pay some attention to that. Especially if you find pressure on the up and up.

I like the look of this. I would consider an observation sit very much worth your time even with your circumstances.
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:52 am

SidewayZ wrote:If your constrained then just pick the bedding that is best for the wind that day. Then just hop around on next sit to adjacent bedding.

We have been getting a lot of rain recently here in Mass. Try a fast scout before you sit and hunt bedding with most recent sign of usage. Just tell wife your going for milk and come back 3 hours later lol.

yeah, quite a change from the heat we had all summer. this rain is ridiculous. if I tried that with my wife, i'd end up in the woods... in a bodybag :lol:

I keep thinking of doing a ghillie spot and stalk along the transition of the marsh area and just scouting my way through and maybe just hunting from the ground. I've never done it before, but after watching Zach from THP have so much success with it, I figured it might be worth a shot. But then, the draw of those acorns on the island in the swamp early season makes me doubt doing that. We'll see come opener. I'll probably come in on the trail from the right and if I see any good sign, then I'll duck into the swamp and do that up. If not, I'll continue out to those Islands... problem is I'll only have 2 hours to do all this before dusk. Regardless, I'm wicked excited about this area for my go-to after work hunt this year.
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:54 am

Bedbug wrote:The possibility of security bedding up tight to the highway. Might want to pay some attention to that. Especially if you find pressure on the up and up.

I like the look of this. I would consider an observation sit very much worth your time even with your circumstances.

Yeah, I love the look of that area close to the highway too. I haven't gone through there really yet. I just know its gonna have bedding and I wanted to leave it pristine this summer.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:07 pm

Perfectionitz wrote:
Rich M wrote:Can you do an observation sit before season opens?

I don't really have time to do an observation sit because I've got 3 year old twins and 3 teenage stepdaughters, so between that and my new job I'm strapped for time as far as how much I can be out in the woods.

I did an observation sit about 3 weeks ago, but didn't see anything. I sat in a tree near where I show my planned access to those two islands break off of the trail dividing the marsh from the swampy woods. Had good visibility of the marsh, but my scent was blowing right into it because the wind switched after I set up. I've scouted the area a few times this spring and summer and have found some good bedding in the marsh, but haven't made it out to those islands yet because the water was too high. It's low now and i'll be able to walk out there fairly easily without getting too wet.

I just feel like with that wind switching after they bed down and the acorns still dropping here, those islands in the swamp will give me the best chance at seeing something, but I don't really know.... only my 3rd season and second using beast tactics.

Maybe make and observation hunt in the am and move in on them for the evening hunt
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”